Nose Changes

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Neverloved

#16 Post by Neverloved »

That doesn't sound encouraging. :(
A bad nose can screw up a face just as much as a misaligned jaw...is there really nothing that can be done to guarantee that there won't be any changes, or at most just minor ones. Otherwise, it feels like just trading one deformity for another.

sarz

Vikinggirl

#17 Post by sarz »

You hit the nail on the head! That is exactly what one of my colleagues said I had - a miss piggy nose! Think it was only in a jokey sense but it's true. :cry:

VikingGirl

#18 Post by VikingGirl »

On the other hand - It's only the soft tissue of my nose that is "wrong" now. They don't have to break any bones and put metal plates in it :D I'd rather have a wonky nose than my old jaw 8)

vincejawsurgery

#19 Post by vincejawsurgery »

You can see my before and after photos here:

http://www.vincejawsurgery.com/articles ... omment-150

My latest photos were taken 12 weeks (3 months) after my jaw surgery:

http://www.vincejawsurgery.com/photos?a ... gallery=19

I do see my nose flipping out a bit more than before. Sad to say, it resembles a bit like Miss Piggy's nose.

The swelling below my nose has not settled down. I still feel a bit tight around my mouth. It feels sore to smile and laugh. I can't predict how I will look after 100% of the swelling on my face has healed.

VikingGirl

#20 Post by VikingGirl »

vincejawsurgery wrote:You can see my before and after photos here:

http://www.vincejawsurgery.com/articles ... omment-150

My latest photos were taken 12 weeks (3 months) after my jaw surgery:

http://www.vincejawsurgery.com/photos?a ... gallery=19

I do see my nose flipping out a bit more than before. Sad to say, it resembles a bit like Miss Piggy's nose.

The swelling below my nose has not settled down. I still feel a bit tight around my mouth. It feels sore to smile and laugh. I can't predict how I will look after 100% of the swelling on my face has healed.
Thanks! That is pretty much like me :)
My doctors won't see me before february, they want to be sure that the swelling is all gone, so you might be right - you are still swollen.

beowulf68

#21 Post by beowulf68 »

My wife says she can see a huge change in my nose since surgery. Before it was very narrow and had a small hump. Now after surgery it is completely straight, the nostrils are wider (which is great for me because I can breathe better) and slightly turned up. Still a lot of swelling so I will have to wait a while before I see the final result.

jennaaa

#22 Post by jennaaa »

My nose looks totally different. It now has a little high tip at the end, which everybody thinks is 'cute'.
I love it!

pricklypear

#23 Post by pricklypear »

I'm two days post-op with my nose slightly looking crooked to one side. The surgeon explained that one nostril had a bigger tube entered in...but I don't know. Is having a crooked nose a common thing with swelling and all?

sarahorsomeone

#24 Post by sarahorsomeone »

pricklypear wrote:I'm two days post-op with my nose slightly looking crooked to one side. The surgeon explained that one nostril had a bigger tube entered in...but I don't know. Is having a crooked nose a common thing with swelling and all?
I wouldn't be surprised.. I know my nose looked HUGE for about a week after surgery because of swellling (in fact when I first came round, my nose was one of the most swollen parts of my face).. and sometimes the swelling was worse on one side than the other so it did make my nose look a bit crooked. I don't know exactly what you've had done, but a leaflet I was given also said that if your upper-jaw is rotated at all (in the left-right direction) more often than not you'll have a crooked nose for at least a month or two because of soft-tissue changes, but that it sorts itself out.

pa1n

#25 Post by pa1n »

anyone here regret doing the surgery due to the result of their nose change? i have a fairly big nose already, just makes me more nervous about getting surgery :(

pricklypear

#26 Post by pricklypear »

sarahorsomeone wrote:
pricklypear wrote:I'm two days post-op with my nose slightly looking crooked to one side. The surgeon explained that one nostril had a bigger tube entered in...but I don't know. Is having a crooked nose a common thing with swelling and all?
I wouldn't be surprised.. I know my nose looked HUGE for about a week after surgery because of swellling (in fact when I first came round, my nose was one of the most swollen parts of my face).. and sometimes the swelling was worse on one side than the other so it did make my nose look a bit crooked. I don't know exactly what you've had done, but a leaflet I was given also said that if your upper-jaw is rotated at all (in the left-right direction) more often than not you'll have a crooked nose for at least a month or two because of soft-tissue changes, but that it sorts itself out.
hmm i had the whole works; bsso, le fort, genioplasty. i guess that explains it. hope it gets back on straight! thanks!

beowulf68

#27 Post by beowulf68 »

I'm very happy with the nose changes that have occured after my surgery. But I also didn't just have upper jaw surgery either. My surgeon had to do other work on my nose to make sure I could breathe afterwards and in the process adjusted my nose accordingly for aesthetic appeal.

Pa1n if you are very concerned about this could you not ask your surgeon to address this issue while he/she's working on you? I believe I have read on this board that a surgeon could use stitching to keep the size of the nostrils down and the tip of ones nose from facing up.
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning"...... Robert Duvall, Apocalypse Now (1979)