How can I clean the back of my teeth?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pricklypear

How can I clean the back of my teeth?

#1 Post by pricklypear »

I'm about 3 weeks post-op and still banded. I change my bands once a day but I'm still having trouble opening my mouth. How can i go on about brushing the back of my teeth? I can feel the build up of plague with my tongue and it's grossing me out + concerns about cavities. How did you guys do it?

ColoradoGirl

Re: How can I clean the back of my teeth?

#2 Post by ColoradoGirl »

Baby toothbrush + gel toothpaste + gentle swishes of good mouthwash (my surgeon doesn't approve alcohol-based mouthwashes, like Listerine, until week 6, so do be careful; I actually found the Rite-Aid generic no-alcohol blend quite helpful).

Dani73

#3 Post by Dani73 »

Totally agree with Coloradogirl - Baby toothbrush, not only are the bristle softer (incase you get to close to the wounds) but the head is smaller. Also my surgeon doesn't agree with mouthwashes with alcohol in it, which would sting anyway.

bracedfaced

#4 Post by bracedfaced »

What about a waterpik? I picked one up to help me clean my braces and hope to use it post surgery on a really low setting.

ColoradoGirl

#5 Post by ColoradoGirl »

Ask your surgeon. Mine won't approve waterpik until week 5 or so (you don't want to risk opening your incisions), but that may depend on the surgeon and the procedure.

Broadway Bill

#6 Post by Broadway Bill »

I was given the go ahead to use a Waterpik after 2 weeks, as long as I used the lowest setting.

It was a life-saver, too! It really helped me clean out the gross taste, and was just generally refreshing.