7 weeks post-op. still can't open my jaws

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pricklypear

7 weeks post-op. still can't open my jaws

#1 Post by pricklypear »

Hi all

I am 7 weeks and a few days post op from a double jaw + genioplasty. Recovery has been slow but the feelings are coming back and stiffness has reduced. However, I still can't open my jaws wide enough to take soft food in. Right now, I can open only about 2-3mm. If I try to open any more, I feel pain in my right jaw. I'm not sure if this is normal since I've read posts and blogs of people taking in soft food after 2-3 weeks post-op. My surgeon already gave me ok to have soft food it's just that can't open my jaws enough to take it in. Ah the frustration. I want normal food again.

VikingGirl

Re: 7 weeks post-op. still can't open my jaws

#2 Post by VikingGirl »

How long were you wired shut?

If you're feeling pain, maybe you should contact you ortho. That's what I would do, just to be on the safe side :)

badbite

#3 Post by badbite »

I am three weeks post-op and I can open about two finger withs. I only had my top jaw done. I know the recovery for both jaw is a much harder one, so I don't know what the norm would be. I am not in pain though. I would call the OS if I were you just to be safe. Good luck, I hope you are feeling well soon.

RPE in on Jan 7, 2008
SARPE on Jan 11, 2008 expanded 7 mm
RPE out on May 14, 2008

asmileconnectsus

#4 Post by asmileconnectsus »

It took me a very long time before I was able to open my jaws wide enough to even get a baby tooth brush between my teeth. I didn't start eating soft food till about 10 weeks. I know the desperate feeling of wanting something to eat! I would contact your surgeon to tell them about the pain. I would say NOT to push it, and just open as much as you can. Just open as much as you can before the pain. Open and close for 15mins while looking in a mirror. It will be exhausting. Put a moist warm washcloth on your tired muscles. Good luck!

chicago29

#5 Post by chicago29 »

Were you wired shut? If so, then this isn't totally surprising. If you were not wired shut, you need to return to your surgeon as soon as possible and let them know you're still having difficulty. I can't imagine being only able to open 2 to 3mm that long after surgery if you were only banded shut.

In either situation, you would likely benefit from physical therapy. Ask your OS for a referral. The longer you wait and are "stuck", the harder it is to gain your ROM back. Our muscles will just atrophy if they aren't used, and the act of opening and closing your jaw is almost entirely muscular. The good news is it WILL come back with exercise. I was at about 18mm when I started therapy and I got up to about 31mm after therapy. I'm now at 35mm so as you can see it will come back. Some people just take longer...

Best of luck to you...

-Chicago29