Pictures of my Gums/smile

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

IWantNewSmile

Pictures of my Gums/smile

#1 Post by IWantNewSmile »

:oops: I am a little embarrassed but now I am thinking that my surgery is going to be hard. My gums are really deformed and just wow, I am a little sad and just hoping that my insurance can cover it. Like I have stated already I am new, and I will be getting braces either in November or in December. I think the jaw surgery will change my life completely, because I always tend to cover my mouth when I laugh out of embarrassment.

Look at how my profile from the sides, it looks like even when my mouth close, my gums stick out. And my gums are discolored. I really can't imagine how I would look when I get the surgery, but I know it will be better. Now I can see why my classmates those that bullied me, made horsey noises b.c my mouth look's like a horse. :(. So yeah I know is not the surgery results, but gosh...I feel sorry for the surgeons that will do my surgery lol.

[/url]

bb

#2 Post by bb »

I'd go for it if I were you.
Best of luck.

tdawg7669

#3 Post by tdawg7669 »

Looks like vertical maxillary excess to me. You might get away with just upper jaw surgery.

IWantNewSmile

#4 Post by IWantNewSmile »

BB yes I am nervous and excited at the same time although there is like what 2 years/3 years for my surgery lol.

Tdawg, yeah but I barely have a chin definition. I wonder if just with the upper jaw surgery it will even things out.

Robyn

#5 Post by Robyn »

Best of luck!

OhioM

#6 Post by OhioM »

You look very young and I say "go for it", because I got my surgery in January at age 37. I wish I had done it sooner. Yes it will change your life, especially at your age. (not sure, but you look young!) I had similar issues and I really like the change in my face. I still show a little gum when smiling, but it's so much less. People don't stare at my mouth unconsciously during conversation anymore.

The surgery IS difficult, but once you are in the hospital, you just get through it! There's no choice but to persevere once you get out of surgery. This message board will help so much in knowing what to expect.
Recovering from Lefort 1 (5.5 mm impaction) with genio (6 mm) 1/20/10

IWantNewSmile

#7 Post by IWantNewSmile »

Thanks Robyn.

Ohio yes, I am 19. And yes, people used to stare and when I was younger a kid in my class asked me why is your mouth like that? I was so embarrassed and I said well I don't know. I honestly didn't know what he was talking about at that time. :oops:

I am glad you liked your results, and I honestly can't wait to see mine. I had surgery before when I was younger, I had my tonsil removed so I think I can go through it.

sarahorsomeone

#8 Post by sarahorsomeone »

I'm also 19, and I went through double jaw surgery a four weeks ago; I'm really pleased with the results. I had several issues, one of which was showing a lot of gum not unlike you (although I couldn't close my lips either) and I'd definatly say it's been worth it. :)

I will point out it's a lot tougher than having your tonsils out; I'd had four previous operations (one of which was having my tonsils removed) and this has definatley been the worst; but it wasn't too bad after I'd got through the first few days.

I do have one slight worry, which is whether your insurance will cover it if it's purely cosmetic. In my opinion however these things are rarely completely cosmetic, my vertical maxillary excess caused me allsorts of problems: for example I had trouble talking clearly and I dribbled if I held my head forward or to one side... but you might have a fight on your hands getting coverage.

OzzysMom

#9 Post by OzzysMom »

It will be the best thing you ever did and you will be so happy. I had my surgery 2 years ago and I also had severe vertical maxillary excess and a very gummy smile and "horse mouth." But I had no chin definition.

All the best on your journey and BTW-surgeons love cases like ours. The more severe the problem is, the more dramatic the results will be :-))
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

IWantNewSmile

#10 Post by IWantNewSmile »

Sara, I sincerely hope that they can pay it. After all, I do have an over bite and I also have problems pronouncing certain words and I didn't know that it could had been because of my jaw. And my gums do like they are deformed, so if it can be shown that is some deformity or something like that then perhaps they can cover it. If not then, I would be so depressed or might even take out a loan. I am that desperate to get this fix because I thought I would have this issue for life, and after finding out that there is a FIX for the rest of my life, I want it badly. I am also glad that you liked your surgery. :D

Ozzy, I have no chin definition whatsoever. When I was younger I was considering getting chin implant lol because I didn't know it was because of my gum/jaw. I can't wait and I want to thank you guys for the encouragement and motivation. It boost up my confidence a little bit. :)

bracedfaced

#11 Post by bracedfaced »

Don't feel bad! I have the same thing. Surgery date May 2011. Go for it! Good luck!!

IWantNewSmile

#12 Post by IWantNewSmile »

Good luck hun.

shanalouis

#13 Post by shanalouis »

looks pretty severe...you def. should do it................. :wink:

IWantNewSmile

Re: Pictures of my Gums/smile

#14 Post by IWantNewSmile »

Shana very severe. It grosses me out lol.