Should I go for surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dentalguy

Should I go for surgery?

#1 Post by dentalguy »

I need your advice...

It's been a year since I first began to look into the possibility of getting something done with my teeth/jaws. To a large extent things have moved slowly and have almost been on the back burner due to work and other commitments. However, I have had a number of consultations and referrals and so have a much better picture of how things stand.

I have a mild class III skeletal relationship and edge to edge incisor relationship. I suppose I'm a borderline case. I'm been informed that my bite could be corrected with some IPR and retraction of my lower incisors.

On the other hand, an orthognathic surgeon has suggested maxillary advancement. I believe his thinking behind this is that my maxilla is ever so slightly underdeveloped - I don't know if this would be enough to warrant the descripion mild maxillary hypoplasia.

But here's the thing, the concern for me has always chiefly been my profile and facial proportion. My teeth aren't that crooked and they meet well enough to function.

What I dislike is the relative sunkiness of my upper lip area and the prominence this gives my lower jaw. I suppose I'm really looking for a restoration of the facial proportions I possessed before this imbalance emerged in my late teens.

Here are some pics (which probably don't properly demonstrate my facial proportion concerns)...
Right side, profile

Right side, teeth

Left side, profile

Left side, teeth

Dental cast 1

Dental cast 2 (the mesio buccal groove in the mandibular 1st molar is ahead of the mesio buccal cusp of the maxillary 1st molar)

Dental cast 3

What d’ya think?

Izzy1979

#2 Post by Izzy1979 »

If your appearance if your chief concern, I would make sure to have a good honest chat with your surgeon about surgical results. If you look at before/after pictures, not everybody has a dramatic change. It doesn't look like your upper jaw would be moved a whole lot - you may not obtain the result you think you may. Did they tell you if they would also advance your lower jaw?

I had the option of advancing both my upper and lower jaw, vs just lower jaw and fix my bite, and both my jaw surgeon and a plastic surgeon I saw for a consult didn't think esthetically I would obtain much more by doing both, so I stuck to one jaw, and so far pretty pleased with results.

Now if they think it would resolve your bite issues AND give you what you want aesthetically, go for it, you'll never be younger:)

Broadway Bill

#3 Post by Broadway Bill »

I agree with Izzy. Your bite actually looks really good to me, but if there are aesthetic things you want changed, surgery may work. But definitely have a frank chat with a surgeon about what is realistically possible.

And don't forget that surgery can be very painful, and costly, and disruptive. If the surgeon doesn't think the likely changes will be what you are lolling for, it might not be worth it.

And, for what it's worth, your bite and profile look fine from here!

bb

#4 Post by bb »

I think you have a great profile.
If you can get this done via braces that would be best.

RedDress

#5 Post by RedDress »

Just wondering...if they make your upper jaw bigger, then what will happen with your upper lip? will it cover your teeth then?
My oppinioun - just to get braces and treat your bite would be the way to go. However it is hard to tell from the pictures you posted about your overal looks.

TwitBerry

#6 Post by TwitBerry »

I'm in no way an expert, but I thought I would add my 0.02. First off, I think that you have a good profile, and I don't see the lower jaw prominence that you mentioned.

You appear to have crowding in top and bottom arches. Have any of your orthodontists told you whether or not simply addressing the crowding of the upper arch would add fullness to your upper lip?

The main concern that I would have would be changes to your nose should you have your upper arch moved forward surgically. You appear to have a slight upturn here, and this procedure, from what I have read and seen, may result in more of an upturn, but, again, I'm not an expert.

Snackan86

Re: Should I go for surgery?

#7 Post by Snackan86 »

Hi!
I think you only need surgery ifrån you have problems or teeth problem. Your profile looks good. Doin surgery for cosmetich rreason is no good idea.