MARCH 2011 BUDDIES

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

smithie

Re: MARCH 2011 BUDDIES

#46 Post by smithie »

I cooked meat loaf last night; it tasted really good, but was bordering on being too difficult to eat to be worth it... I got through about 1.5 thinly sliced pieces before I was feeling full and tired of the food. Still, that's probably the most protein I've had since the surgery (not good), and I think I'll give the leftovers another chance tonight. It was good to have some A1 sauce, at any rate.

Had hummus and lentil soup at a Mediterranean place for lunch, that was almost like a normal meal in terms of caloric intake. I'm becoming somewhat alarmed at the rate at which I'm losing weight, and don't think I can simply wait for my splint to come off before I get serious about getting more calories.

Laundraholic

#47 Post by Laundraholic »

Congrats to everyone who is already on the other side, and I'm really grateful that you're taking the time to update!

suzanna

#48 Post by suzanna »

Laundraholic wrote:Congrats to everyone who is already on the other side, and I'm really grateful that you're taking the time to update!
Hey where in Ontario are you from? I saw in another post that you mentioned you were covered by OHIP. I'm from Ontario too :D
Upper and Lower Braces Applied: December 4th, 2009
Lefort 1 and BSSO Surgery: February 11th, 2011

jonathon003

#49 Post by jonathon003 »

Laundraholic wrote:Congrats to everyone who is already on the other side, and I'm really grateful that you're taking the time to update!
I want to echo this sentiment! I have less than 48 hrs until I'll be on that other side too, and reading some of your updates on here has put me slightly at ease. Although, i'm doing both jaws, and chin, so I'm a little pessimistic that my experience will be as easy going.

ps. Hey suzanna, I'm from Toronto. Where are you other fellow Ontario residents from?

Laundraholic

#50 Post by Laundraholic »

suzanna wrote:
Hey where in Ontario are you from? I saw in another post that you mentioned you were covered by OHIP. I'm from Ontario too :D

jonathon003 wrote:
ps. Hey suzanna, I'm from Toronto. Where are you other fellow Ontario residents from?

Toronto gal here too :-1

suzanna

#51 Post by suzanna »

jonathon003 wrote:
I want to echo this sentiment! I have less than 48 hrs until I'll be on that other side too, and reading some of your updates on here has put me slightly at ease. Although, i'm doing both jaws, and chin, so I'm a little pessimistic that my experience will be as easy going.

I'm from the Hamilton area. I had my surgery done by a Toronto/Richmond Hill surgeon though, Dr. Caminti. Who is doing your surgeries?

smithie

#52 Post by smithie »

I taught a 75-minute class this morning, 8 days post-surgery. It was... interesting, as I have quite the speech impediment from the splint. I don't think I'd do a job interview or anything with a splint in, but I can communicate perfectly well, albeit a little oddly.

Also, in a major breakthrough on the food front, I discovered that my chocolate chip cookies, when eaten directly out of the oven, do not require teeth, as they're pretty gooey while warm. I have about 5 minutes after taking them out to eat them before they get too hard. Granted, this may involve burning the roof of your mouth, but it's totally worth it.

dtdtdt

#53 Post by dtdtdt »

Ha I will make some cookies tomorrow! I do need some better protein options though. I will check the list of soft foods.

I go back tomorrow for second post op visit. I am still very swollen but talking ok for maybe 30 minute bursts a few times a day. I also have bandages on both sides of my cheeks. I did not remember there would be anything on the outside with a BSSO so I will have to ask. What is this? I am too zonked to google.

My concern is whether there is something off with my bite. My problem was assymetric jaw (one side maybe 3-4mm longer) and a cross bite. I had braces as a teen which moved my teeth to fit the jaw. Now after surgery, if I bite down "normally" there is one tooth on the former shorter jaw side that clenches together too much. I try wiggle my jaw around to try to find the "right" bite but i can't find it. I am confused because OS was thrilled with his work last week and said that he was simply putting me in bands to adjust midline due to muscles trying to move back to a non symmetric position. I am confused. Any insight from those who have btdt?

jonathon003 - Best of luck to you. The worst part for me was the anticipation and then first 72 hours. From there, downhill. Keep in mind that i am big wimp when it comes to medical things and pain. Today is my week anniversary and I tried to rejoin the world in progress - driving kids to school, back, work a bit from home (too swollen to go in), picked up car from being serviced (oddly I got more stares at car dealership than anywhere else - nosy people), drove to kids to soccer, lacrosse, etc. Granted I am more exhausted than I think I have ever been and dread getting up tomorrow, but ok considering what could have been. I will look for your post.

aries - are you there? Thinking of you. I know you had a few rough days and hope things have improved a bit. I am in Atlanta so not too far from you.

laundraholic - sending good vibes to you.

I love my teeth

#54 Post by I love my teeth »

dtdtdt-

I had a hard time the first few weeks with a consistent bite as well! My surgeon was pleased also, which was confusing. In my case, it was muscular...as soon as the swelling went down a bit more (weeks 3-5), the bite changed again, and the muscles spasmed less--then the rest is up to the orthodontist to tweek after you are released back. I am 9 weeks this week, and I have had 1 adjustment-my right side bite seems pretty good, but the left is still not quite right--the teeth just don't meet right yet.

I know it's so hard to wait, but, it sounds like everything is going along smoothly for you.
Wore Braces for 2 years, 5 months, 3 days

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

juneyer

#55 Post by juneyer »

I'm brand new here...just found this site, actually I just found a million of these sites last night. I don't know why I waited so long to get on these. I go for my Lower jaw surgery tomorrow..and I am sooo nervous!! I'm so happy to see that other people are going through the same thing and even at the same time!

juneyer

#56 Post by juneyer »

Ok..it's 11p here. I have one more hour to drink water. I have to be at the hospital 5a, so I only have a couple of hours of try and sleep. I'll check in on the other side.

suzanna

#57 Post by suzanna »

juneyer wrote:Ok..it's 11p here. I have one more hour to drink water. I have to be at the hospital 5a, so I only have a couple of hours of try and sleep. I'll check in on the other side.
Good luck with your surgery, I hope everything goes smoothly!

kelhuntley

#58 Post by kelhuntley »

Hi All,

I have just stumbled across this website. I had my surgery on Monday (21st March) - I had Bilateral Sagittal Split Advancement Osteotomies of the Mandible (Lower Jaw +12mm) & Genioplasty (Chin -2mm).

Day three today after surgery and feel like I'm suffering a bit. The first few days weren't too bad actually, not much pain, but today

I'm starting to get a bit of feeling back in my face and feeling much more uncomfortable and swollen. Apparently the first 72hrs are meant to be the worst, so I'm hoping to feel a wee bit better tomorrow!!

Otherwise, I'm trying to be positive - going for walks, slurping as much mush as I can via straw or syringe. Looking forward to trying out some mashed potatoes for dinner tonight!!

Good luck to those that have their surgery coming up!!
Kelly x
- Auckland, New Zealand

thisisme

#59 Post by thisisme »

Congratulations to all my March Buddies already on the other side. :heart:

My lower jaw surgery and wisdom teeth removal is in 3 hours.

dtdtdt

#60 Post by dtdtdt »

I came on here to check in on those who should have joined the other side in past few days. I hope you are all doing well.

Given that I don't see any news yet, I will moan. I think I talked a big game and hit a wall today (Day 9)! I went to a 3 hour meeting at work that involved a lot of talking. I am exhausted. My chin is throbbing (and I had a BSSO, not a geno). Also, my entire lower jaw down to my chin has this weird mix of tingling like it is asleep and twitching, all the while being numb as numb can be.

I am going to get that almost full bottle of painkillers, force myself to drink both a Strawberry and Butter Pecan high protein ensure, and hit the bed. I am not all ashamed to admit it is 6:30 Eastern Standard Time and I am done!