Last meal before surgery! (Anyone else a foodie?!)

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Laundraholic

Last meal before surgery! (Anyone else a foodie?!)

#1 Post by Laundraholic »

The other thread about tips for the night before surgery started me thinking of what my last meal should be the night before I go in.
To be honest, being a bit of a foodie, one of the parts that worry me most about the recovery period is all the food that I won't be able to eat!

I'm already thinking of what that last meal should be, as I want to make it worth it :)
All I know is that I will definitely have to eat a sticky toffee pudding at the end of the meal :P

Soooo.... for those already post-surgery, were there any food that you absolutely missed during the recovery period?
And for those still waiting -- what meal would you like to have, knowing that you won't be able to eat "proper" solid food for a while?!

shutmymouth

Re: Last meal before surgery! (Anyone else a foodie?!)

#2 Post by shutmymouth »

My doc said not to eat any heavy meals the day before (apparently a lot of us want to do this :) )

He said If I wanted to pig out do it the weekend before or a couple of days before so that I could be um "cleared out"

He suggested the day before keep it pretty light and low on grease and carbs. He pointedly told me to go eat some fish. I said "Ceviche" he said you can have ceviche... Where do you go to get good ceviche? LOL

So I'm eating Ceviche and saltine crackers the night before! LOL.

Laundraholic

#3 Post by Laundraholic »

shutmymouth wrote:My doc said not to eat any heavy meals the day before (apparently a lot of us want to do this :) )

He said If I wanted to pig out do it the weekend before or a couple of days before so that I could be um "cleared out"
I didn't even think of that!
I'm seeing the surgeon again about a week prior to the operation, so I guess he'll give me the final instructions then.
Just in case, I think I'm going to schedule that "final meal" the weekend before the surgery.

Good luck on your surgery and please post your update when you get out!

peckabel

#4 Post by peckabel »

I am having sarpe surgery in 5 days and I definitely plan on having a good meal beforehand. I have already chosen to eat a burger and fries from my favourite take away shop :P I havent had one in months as I generally eat very healthy, but its my birthday the day before so im eating whatever i want hehe

ColoradoGirl

#5 Post by ColoradoGirl »

Everything crunchy. I'm able to chew now--sorta--but I can't have fresh veggies, potato chips, pizza crust, fried anything. I kinda wish I'd eaten a whole bag of chips before surgery.

Also anything you totally love, especially meats. I'm actually a vegetarian (well, mostly), but I love beef, so I had a steak two nights before my surgery....sooooooo good.

kelhuntley

#6 Post by kelhuntley »

I thought about my last meal for weeks before my surgery.

We went out for curry on my last night (probably the worst thing to have, haha). An enormous butter chicken, garlic naan and onion bhaji - was amazing!

Thankfully I didn't regret it the next day! :)

samoorelaw

#7 Post by samoorelaw »

I had all you can eat sushi for lunch and ate so much I didn't need to eat dinner. Boy I miss sushi (and everything else)...
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

oimysizex

#8 Post by oimysizex »

I've already decided that, a week before on the weekend I'm probably gonna go to pizza hut/nandos/ kfc etc on the sat and sunday and enjoy my last proper meals before surgery :GapToothed: :BigGrin:

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

Leebie3

#9 Post by Leebie3 »

we have a restaurant here called BUSHFIRE.. portugese BBQ.. all you can eat.. small sides for the table but they just keep breiging the meat :D SO having a dinner party there before the op! :D

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

LyraM45

#10 Post by LyraM45 »

I've basically been pigging out the last few months leading up to my surgery! :lol: I've put on about 8lbs, but I figure it's OK since I'll probably drop 8-10lbs when I'm wired shut. I've been going out to eat my favorite foods-- lots of Indian lunch buffets, sushi, Thai. My mom is flying in the first week of April and staying with me the month to help me out post op, but the 5 days she's here ahead of my surgery will be a food fest! I plan on doing Indian with her, hitting my favorite Asian seafood buffet, and cooking fillet mignon and lobster tail for one of my last meals. I love spicy food and I know I won't be able to do a lot of that on the liquid/soft food diet at first, so I am going to make sure to have a lot of spicy stuff in the next few weeks.

It's been great doing the whole "eat whatever I want" thing leading up to this surgery, but it's going to be nice to reset/detox my system with this forced diet and resume eating my normal healthy diet after this is all done and things get back to normal.

purpleandteal

#11 Post by purpleandteal »

my last meal was a kebab burger from an amazing place up the road. so good. im drooling now just thinking about it.
what i miss now is crisps and fresh crunchy veggies. im 9 weeks on and because of complications, im still not allowed to chew and im going crazy!
broccoli cooked and razzed through the food processor is probably my absolute saviour through all of this, and cauliflower cheese blended up is great. but i just want to chomp on a carrot, or a baby corn, or green bean..mmmmmm!! and bacon and sausages!!
i just miss chewing to be fair. the act of chewing is so natural, that being unable to is so strange. iv choked a fair few times cos i force things in im not technically meant to have, realise i cant chew it and have to swallow...ooops!

Read all about the fun and games here!!

hidakat

#12 Post by hidakat »

My parents in law made cream puffs and a steak dinner a week after my surgery and I was SO sad!!

My last meal was at our fav Israeli restaurant. It was amazing. I didn't have to miss it too terribly post-op, I ate lots of tahini. Delicious and jaw friendly!