How long did you take off work for recovery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bracedfaced

How long did you take off work for recovery?

#1 Post by bracedfaced »

I was wondering how long people are typically taking off work for this surgery. I am having upper jaw, lower jaw, and a genio. I thought my OS said only 2 weeks but because my work is being very cool about my surgery, I plan to take 3 weeks. Will that be enough time off before going back to a 9-5 desk job?

qwertz1

Re: How long did you take off work for recovery?

#2 Post by qwertz1 »

2 weeks would have been enough in my case, but I feel like I'm rather the exception.
there are also people who are still massively swollen after 4 or 5 weeks, so it's really anyone's guess.

DRG

#3 Post by DRG »

I was prepared to take three weeks off, expecting to work part time for a while after that. Instead, I got bored of being at home and went back to work a week early. I found that I tired easily still so I planned myself a nap most days during that first week back at work. After that I just went in to work late for a while so that I could get all of my necessary "beauty rest".

I will say this, I thought I had my strength back after about ten days. I dropped my son off at school and then went to the store to pick up some cans of soup, which all required me to sleep for over three hours when I got home. I learned this lesson often, recovery was not the same as being on vacation.

DRG
Braces: 1986-1988
Open bite was not resolved
Braces again (at age 35): 15 APRIL 2010
Lefort I & IVRO: 21 FEB 2011
Unwired! 25 MAR 2011
Braces removed revealing my perfect bite: 4 JAN 2012

bracedfaced

#4 Post by bracedfaced »

Thank you for your responses! I feel much better about the 3 weeks now. I am sure I will be bored at home but don't want to come back to work too early.

DRG

#5 Post by DRG »

I was quite surprised when I felt bored at home. I was looking forward to time away from work, but really I just felt unproductive and somewhat useless -- that is to say, it's not like I was accomplishing anything at home. And I found there really was a limit to how much lounging around I could perform without going batty.

DRG
Braces: 1986-1988
Open bite was not resolved
Braces again (at age 35): 15 APRIL 2010
Lefort I & IVRO: 21 FEB 2011
Unwired! 25 MAR 2011
Braces removed revealing my perfect bite: 4 JAN 2012

qwertz1

#6 Post by qwertz1 »

you could also ask your doctor how long he usually keeps his patients in a splint, if your work depends on being able to speak clearly.
this seems to vary widely from doctor to doctor

arieswithbraces

#7 Post by arieswithbraces »

I took the longest of anyone!! I'm out of work for 8 weeks! I work at an outpatient dialysis clinic and I'm usually there 11-12 hrs a day. I only get two 30 min breaks and we are not an all ambulatory clinic. They didn't want me to lift more than 20 lbs and wanted me to take a break if I became tired, and there's no way I can do that. So they just wrote me out, and said they'll write me back in early if everything's ok. I ALMOST want to go back but the talking with this splint could be a problem.
1st consult: 4/28/2009
Top Brace: 6/03/09
Extractions: 06/15/09
bottom braces 1/13/2010
**FAST FORWARD**
March 16, 2011 Upper Jaw Surgery~Lefort I 2-piece, BSSO, Genioplasty ( UNC hospital~Dr. Timothy Turvey)
April 19, 2011~Removed splint!
April 20, 2011~1st ortho appt since surgery...back in ligatures and got elastics

suzanna

#8 Post by suzanna »

I'll be off for 7.5 weeks. I go back on Monday!

arieswithbraces, shoot I totally forgot to ask my OS today about any weight restrictions!! And about going back to a regular routine at the gym.... ugh.... next time I need to make a list LOL I guess I'll have to call the office tomorrow to find out because I need to talk to my work insurance person tomorrow about a return to work plan (or if I even need one).
Upper and Lower Braces Applied: December 4th, 2009
Lefort 1 and BSSO Surgery: February 11th, 2011

freakyteeth

#9 Post by freakyteeth »

I'm planning on four weeks. Of course I am have to continue to have my surgeon write me off. I have a sit down job, but a lot of talking. Thank goodness I qualify for paid extended sick time.
Braces 1986 & Sept 2007 (age 34)
severe class II impinging overbite
17 missing teeth (genetically)- AXIN 2 genetic mutation
Jan 2010 - genioplasty w/mandibular bone graft (from chin bone)
Jul 2010 - 4 mandibular implants. FAILED
Oct 2010 - re-placement of 3 implants, hardware removal
03/29/2011 - BSSO and 3 piece Lefort I
Sept 2012 - Upper jaw - 4 implants w/bone graft.
Jan 2016 - upper hardware removal, extensive upper bone graft

Nathaniel

#10 Post by Nathaniel »

I took about a month and week, it gave me enough time to rest, recover, de-stress, and actually go through an unexpected infection of the cheek too. I'd always try to buffer in some extra time so you don't feel as though you're just squeezing it all in so to speak. Best of luck! :) I had a SARPE recently, but am getting what you're having in (hopefully) a little under a year or so from now!
Braces to come on: May 4th, 2011
My Blog: http://thejawjourney.blogspot.com/

sarz

#11 Post by sarz »

Took a week off. Not a good idea :soremouth:
No Regrets Just Lessons Learned
"What can we do to prevent this from happening again"?

dtdtdt

#12 Post by dtdtdt »

This was one of my biggest questions. My dr said that most of his patients with bsso and office jobs need 2 weeks off. I didn't think this would be enough after everything I saw on YouTube (did not know about this board until night before surgery). I went back to work at 2 weeks this week and worked 3 days. I didn't realize that I honestly spend most of the day talking!

The biggest thing I noticed was around 3pm just being exhausted and out of words. I also made the mistake of thinking I could work and do other things after work. Work was about all I could handle. I've had the weekend to rest up and with a few more days of recovery under my belt, and I believe this week will be better. I feel as if I have hit a new level of getting closer to normal. I may never give up naps though!

Net, if you need to return to your desk job at 2 weeks I think you will be ok, if you plan to come home, eat, and get to bed, seriously. If you can stretch it to 3 weeks you will be even better.

Laundraholic

#13 Post by Laundraholic »

My surgeon said that at the very least I'd need two weeks off, as I work a non-physical desk job.

After finding out I work with the public (and would have to be speaking and dealing with my clients all day long), he wrote me a note for 4 weeks off.

sarz

#14 Post by sarz »

Seriously, where did you have your operations???
My surgeon and orthodontist knew full well that I work a physically and mentally demanding job and the surgeon cleared me after my joint appointment to go back to work, when I asked if this was okay. This was one week after my third surgery.
No Regrets Just Lessons Learned
"What can we do to prevent this from happening again"?

suzanna

#15 Post by suzanna »

sarz wrote:Seriously, where did you have your operations???
My surgeon and orthodontist knew full well that I work a physically and mentally demanding job and the surgeon cleared me after my joint appointment to go back to work, when I asked if this was okay. This was one week after my third surgery.
I work in Ontario, Canada. I just told my surgeon at my 3.5 week post op appointment that I didn't feel ready to go back to work yet and he gave me another 4 weeks off. I didn't mind that at all since I'm being paid 100% of my wages in short term sick leave.
Upper and Lower Braces Applied: December 4th, 2009
Lefort 1 and BSSO Surgery: February 11th, 2011