How long did you take off work for recovery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rtxtavi02

Re: How long did you take off work for recovery?

#16 Post by rtxtavi02 »

I only have a week off, :\ I do, however, work a desk job and I don't do a whole lot of talking throughout the day. I had surgery on March 31st and I am supposed to be back at work on April 11th.

bracedfaced

#17 Post by bracedfaced »

rtxtavi02 wrote:I only have a week off, :\ I do, however, work a desk job and I don't do a whole lot of talking throughout the day. I had surgery on March 31st and I am supposed to be back at work on April 11th.
Wow, that's pretty short, rtxtavi02. How are you feeling?

rtxtavi02

#18 Post by rtxtavi02 »

I feel pretty good, when I woke up from surgery I wasn't in a splint and I wasn't banded or wired shut like I have seen most people are. My doctor said he felt it wasn't necessary. There isn't much pain because I have absolutely no feeling in my upper lip and cheeks. I do have some discomfort due to the amount of pressure in my sinuses which has been causing me to have headaches on and off. My swelling was probably the worse 3rd day post op and now 5th day post op my cheeks are really yellow and my left eye is black. Since I am not banded, I am enjoying soft (no chew) foods rather than just liquids. Right now, I am actually having scrambled eggs which are mashed up really well.

qwertz1

#19 Post by qwertz1 »

consider getting an extension, especially when you're eye is turning black now.
I feel like I was very lucky with how things went and I also didnt have a splint but I couldnt have gone to work at 1 week.
2 weeks, probably.

DRG

#20 Post by DRG »

qwertz1 wrote:I couldnt have gone to work at 1 week. 2 weeks, probably.
I agree, I could hardly stay awake for more than five hours at a time during the first two weeks, and still allowed myself a nap during the third. I also was able to work half-days when I returned, allowing an adjustment period which helped.

DRG
Braces: 1986-1988
Open bite was not resolved
Braces again (at age 35): 15 APRIL 2010
Lefort I & IVRO: 21 FEB 2011
Unwired! 25 MAR 2011
Braces removed revealing my perfect bite: 4 JAN 2012

smithie

#21 Post by smithie »

I took one week off after my BSSO. The only difficulty in returning was that I had a splint in for two weeks, so I talked kinda funny for the first week back at work (which included teaching two classes, which was interesting). My energy levels were back to normal as soon as I figured out how to get an appropriate amount of calories each day, which was about 3 or 4 days after the surgery.

romancommander

#22 Post by romancommander »

I really hope that I dont have to take too much time off work but I am expecting it to be around 3-4 weeks...

twinmom

#23 Post by twinmom »

I had a 4-piece Lefort I and IVRO procedure. I will be going back to work full-time about week 4, but at week 2 I started working 1/2 days from home (thank goodness for flexibility at my workplace!). I could probably do full days right now (week 3), but will take the 1/2 days and continue to recover.