Help... I feel like an idiot?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

benzorlb

Help... I feel like an idiot?

#1 Post by benzorlb »

Here's my story: I'm currently a 19 year-old guy. I noticed my severe underbite a couple of years ago. Not knowing what it really was, I visited an orthodontist who told me I needed surgery. So I got started on my journey... after seeing multiple orthodontists, I finally found one who both 1) Took my insurance, 2) Was willing to assist a surgeon in my jaw transformation.

After finally getting my braces approved by my insurance company, I was referred to a surgeon who lives far away. The orthodontist told me that that's this surgeon is the only one he works with, so I should make an appointment and see him. He gave me a folder with x-rays for him as well.

Keep in mind that this all happened last year, when I was 17-18 years old.

Anyways, long story short, I made a couple of appointments, and didn't go because of multiple distractions (a loved family member passed away, and different stuff).

They got sick of me and eventually told me today that they won't take me anymore and I should see somebody else. I called my orthodontist, and he told he doesn't work with any other surgeons.

I am completely lost right now... I am scared that my approval is expired because it's from last year, and that I'm too old (19) to have the braces/surgery covered. I don't know what to do. I can't afford paying for it out of my pocket. It's my fault, I know. I'm an idiot... but I just don't know what to do. I want to get serious and start with this. I feel so bad right now.

Any suggestions?

twinmom

Re: Help... I feel like an idiot?

#2 Post by twinmom »

Find a surgeon you want to work with independent of your orthodontist. They don't "have" to work together. Maybe this first one is just the only one your orthodontist's office recommends, it doesn't mean they can't continue your orthodontia after you are done with your surgery.

It is your insurance, your choice of doctors. Your orthodontist cannot require you to see who they want you to see. They can get over it. (I'm assuming you're in the US).

I changed my surgeon after getting approval, and it was much easier than I anticipated. I only had to call the insurance and give them the new surgeon's info. Also, if you were approved once and keep the same insurance, I would guess they would approve you again without alot of issues.

bracedfaced

#3 Post by bracedfaced »

I agree with twinmom. I originally picked a surgeon that was referred by my ortho. Insurance approved everything and then I decided I wanted to use a different surgeon. My ortho said okay and insurance made the switch. No biggie.

sarz

#4 Post by sarz »

Hopefully if you have been given all of your orthodontic measurements and information, you should be able to see any other surgeon. Good Luck. I don't know quite how the insurance thing works out as I didn't have any for this type of thing. Best Wishes :rose:
No Regrets Just Lessons Learned
"What can we do to prevent this from happening again"?

rtxtavi02

#5 Post by rtxtavi02 »

I ended up going with a different surgeon due to insurance, and while my orthodontist was a little bothered at first, he got over it. He was really happy with the outcome in the end and excited for me as I am waiting to continue post-surgery touch ups with my braces.
Jan 1998 - 4 Teeth Removed
May 1998 - Braces 1st Time (surgery recommended)
June 2000 - Wisdom Teeth Removed (crowded lower palate)
Dec 2008 - Braces 2nd Time (surgery recommended again)
June 2009 - Bottom Palate Expander
Mar 2011 - Lefort 1 (forward 5.5 mm with malar implants/bone grafting)