My before and after jaw surgery pictures!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kelis

Re: My before and after jaw surgery pictures!

#16 Post by kelis »

@ kelhuntley: I`ll be moving to NZ (near Auckland) in July and i need to have orthognatic surgery, could you give me some advice where to find a good surgeon?

PS: Is there no personal message possible on this board? :shock:

Marisama

#17 Post by Marisama »

pm below = personal messege

MeanCactus

#18 Post by MeanCactus »

holy crap i'm getting it tomorrow. less than 12 hours actually! i'm really nervous, how'd you feel after surgery?

suzanna

#19 Post by suzanna »

MeanCactus wrote:holy crap i'm getting it tomorrow. less than 12 hours actually! i'm really nervous, how'd you feel after surgery?
Like crap. Only for the first 5-6 days though. It goes by so fast. Then you start feeling better each day. I can't believe it's already been over 3 months since my surgery!

Good luck! It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Pain was minimal. The worst part was the headache I had for a few days post op and all the swelling the first week or so.
Upper and Lower Braces Applied: December 4th, 2009
Lefort 1 and BSSO Surgery: February 11th, 2011

kelis

#20 Post by kelis »

[quote="RYANvaughn"]pm below = personal messege[/quote]
There is no "pm" below...

but i guess i found out why: We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature.

kelis

#21 Post by kelis »

[quote="MeanCactus"]holy crap i'm getting it tomorrow. less than 12 hours actually! i'm really nervous, how'd you feel after surgery?[/quote]
Don't worry, it really goes by fast. Only the first 24 hours are awful, but you'll be too tired to recognise :wink: I've had it 3 times now and i wouldn't have done it again if it was that bad. Anyway, even looks like i have to do it again, bite is still wrong :(

houseofcash

#22 Post by houseofcash »

absolutly Stunning!!!

is this is why we do this, its stories like your that has inspired me to go ahead with my own! you know on my first day home with my braces on im driving into work and just started to cry!! and im a grown man! but i was just so happy that i was finally on the path to correct something i have wanted soooo bad for many many year!

you know i work in a place where i am in senoir level position and have to have group meetings and speak alound to 30 or more people and i have also been so down on myself becuase of my mouth that it effected my whole life!! i was so scared to speak in public becuase what people thought of my appearance.... but guess what! since i got my braces on and i know my goal my confidence has gone up sooo much! i can speak aloud now no problem and not stutter or hesitate!

dont want to crush your fourm here but just wanted to say thanks for sharing your story because it inspires so many other people to go ahead with this type of surgery!!

Thanks
HouseofCash

streo

#23 Post by streo »

Awesome results! I hope my surgery goes as smoothly as yours.

jinny

#24 Post by jinny »

@suzanna. i am also a patient of dr.c. My surgery has finally been booked and it is in a few short weeks. Any advice that you wish someone had told you but didn't? I"m looking forward to the next part of my treatment, but nervous of everything, particularly the liquid diet and pain.

suzanna

#25 Post by suzanna »

houseofcash wrote:absolutly Stunning!!!

is this is why we do this, its stories like your that has inspired me to go ahead with my own! you know on my first day home with my braces on im driving into work and just started to cry!! and im a grown man! but i was just so happy that i was finally on the path to correct something i have wanted soooo bad for many many year!

you know i work in a place where i am in senoir level position and have to have group meetings and speak alound to 30 or more people and i have also been so down on myself becuase of my mouth that it effected my whole life!! i was so scared to speak in public becuase what people thought of my appearance.... but guess what! since i got my braces on and i know my goal my confidence has gone up sooo much! i can speak aloud now no problem and not stutter or hesitate!

dont want to crush your fourm here but just wanted to say thanks for sharing your story because it inspires so many other people to go ahead with this type of surgery!!

Thanks
HouseofCash
Thanks! That's so nice to hear! Hopefully things continue to go well for you :)

suzanna

#26 Post by suzanna »

jinny wrote:@suzanna. i am also a patient of dr.c. My surgery has finally been booked and it is in a few short weeks. Any advice that you wish someone had told you but didn't? I"m looking forward to the next part of my treatment, but nervous of everything, particularly the liquid diet and pain.
Buy lots of Gatorade and Ensure! Luckily my mom and my sister were home and helping me out the first week or so, so I sent them to the grocery store to buy things for me! Stock up on TV series DVDs or movies, borrow them from friends! You'll have a LOT of downtime after surgery. I bought a bunch of books but it was hard to focus and read for the first few days. Make sure you do your stretching exercises as per Dr. C's instructions, and when given the go ahead to start eating soft foods, try and start right away. It's a pretty long process to retrain your mouth how to chew so the quicker you start, the faster you'll be eating all the yummy foods you've been dying to have for weeks!

All in all, the surgery and recovery weren't as bad as I thought they would be. I think I have a high pain tolerance but it wasn't even so much pain as it was more discomfort from pressure/swelling/numbness.

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to PM me or email me! I'll be happy to chat with you :)

jinny

#27 Post by jinny »

Thanks for the advice Suzanna. Did you use a waterpik after the surgery? My hygienist keeps telling me I'm going to need one immediately after the surgery since I wont be able to brush, but I'm reluctant to buy one just for that reason. This whole process is expensive as is! By the way your smile looks wonderful!

suzanna

#28 Post by suzanna »

jinny wrote:Thanks for the advice Suzanna. Did you use a waterpik after the surgery? My hygienist keeps telling me I'm going to need one immediately after the surgery since I wont be able to brush, but I'm reluctant to buy one just for that reason. This whole process is expensive as is! By the way your smile looks wonderful!
I've got one, but to be honest, I've only used it a handful of times. I don't really think it will be helpful right after surgery. You can't really open your mouth very wide it first, so I'm sure you'll just be squirting at the front teeth and probably your mirror. Plus you'd have to avoid any incisions too. Just make sure you rinse after every meal and throughout the day as well. And thank you :)

chimuelo

#29 Post by chimuelo »

Great results
:jump:

Lyddy

#30 Post by Lyddy »

Your after pics are awesome! You look beautiful! I'm new to the boards here & I have a severe underbite as well as an open & a crossbite. I'm desperately trying to find a surgeon I feel comfortable with in Los Angeles. I figured I'd take a chance & ask who you went to? Thank you so much!