Orthognathic Surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bethykins2492

Orthognathic Surgery

#1 Post by bethykins2492 »

Hi there, I'm Beth, I'm 19 and from the UK.
I'm planning to have orthognathic surgery to correct a class III malocclusion (under bite) and was wondering if there are others contemplating a similar procedure? I've had lots of extractions carried out under GA and should hopefully start the fixed braces soon. (not looking forward to my bite getting worse though!) :(
I'll probably have the actual operation around 2 years from now. If anyone has had this treatment, thinking about it or currently being treated, please comment! It would be lovely to hear from you and about your experiences :D
I'll probably have more specific questions to ask as the treatment goes on.
But yes, I'll stop waffling now. Hope to hear from fellow smilers.
Beth x

crazybeautiful

Re: Orthognathic Surgery

#2 Post by crazybeautiful »

Hi and welcome. If you have a look around some threads here you will find experiences and stories from a lot of people, a lot of which will be having the same surgery as you. If you have any questions about treatment on the NHS (I'm assuming this is where you'll be getting your treatment), there are a few of us on here from the UK. I had the same surgery you will have, so if you want to look at my blog, the link is at the bottom of my page.

Good luck with your treatment, and hope it goes well :D Also remember, it is a long process, but worth it
~SARME, Nov 2007. 10mm expansion

My blog: http://crazybeautifulsurgery.blogspot.com/

bethykins2492

#3 Post by bethykins2492 »

Hi, thanks for getting back to me!
I will be having this treatment done on the NHS. Reading through some of your posts - it's great to get in touch with people who are having/had the same procedure, gives a lot more info on what to expect! I've also been meaning to do this for a a long time, I have only just set up a blogspot myself. This isn't going to let me post a link cos I'm a new member, but my blogspot is jawsurgeryuk - I'll have to add you if that's ok! :D
I appreciate it's a really long process, I've been going to the hospital clinic for 10 years and I've gotten used to the lengthyness of it all.
But I suppose "official" treatment starts very soon - I have an appointment this Weds, and I may get my braces... so hopefully things will start rolling! A question though (even though my surgery is quite some time away) - how long was your hospital stay? And did you get both jaws operated on? I think they're going to operate on both of my jaws but they don't know for sure until closer to surgery, when they see what the braces have done.
Thanks again for getting in touch (:

crazybeautiful

#4 Post by crazybeautiful »

Erm, I think I was in hospital for a couple of days. Certainly we tend to stay in longer over here than they do in America. I had both jaws done, and in 2007 had expansion surgery as well- which for when your upper jaw is narrow. Feel free to look at my blog anyway, and if you have any questions from that, we are all happy to help on here :D

venom

#5 Post by venom »

hi beth i'm also having surgery to correct underbite ,the wait to get on the nhs seemed like forever but i do have my lower braces on now
so it does feel like i'm progressing, hope to have surgery sometime next year.

suzyscientist

#6 Post by suzyscientist »

Hi Beth,

I had the same surgery as you on the NHS in Scotland in January. I was due to have both jaws done, but when it came to the time the surgeon didn't think it would make much difference if I had one or two jaws, so he just did one to save me a bit of trauma :)

I stayed in hospital for 3 days after surgery - I could have been out after 2 but my blood pressure was quite low so they kept me in longer.

I can't say enough how happy I am with 1) my surgery and 2) the NHS. My experience has been nothing but brilliant. It is a long road, but it passes really quickly! I have only had my braces since March '10 and I'm getting there with the post-op orthodontics, and it doesn't seem like any time at all :)

Good luck with everything! And to you Venom for your braces journey :)

Suzy

crazybeautiful

#7 Post by crazybeautiful »

I agree with suzyscientist's sentiments. Getting 'onto' your NHS treatment may take a while, but once you start you shouldn't have any issues in that regard.

Good luck to you, and to venom

bethykins2492

#8 Post by bethykins2492 »

Wow, thanks for your posts, that makes me very excited about it all! And very reassured. I have a hospital appointment is tomorrow, it'll be interesting what happens next! (: It has been a little frustrating as I've been having all these appointments for 10 years now, I'm sure it's been the same with many others as well. But they can't perform any treatment until you've stopped facial growth. What age/how long ago have you all started seeing an orthodontist in regard to orthognathic surgery?
Best of luck to venom with your treatment (:

trossi

#9 Post by trossi »

I used to be so hesitant to get double jaw surgery but after doing a lot of research and seeing so many people have amazing outcomes I'm actually looking forward to it! I'm going to be surgery ready in December but I wish I could have the surgery tomorrow!! Just do your research and try to watch a lot of videos and read blogs from people who have already had the surgery. When you realize how beneficial it is you might look at it differently.

crazybeautiful

#10 Post by crazybeautiful »

bethykins2492 wrote:Wow, thanks for your posts, that makes me very excited about it all! And very reassured. I have a hospital appointment is tomorrow, it'll be interesting what happens next! (: It has been a little frustrating as I've been having all these appointments for 10 years now, I'm sure it's been the same with many others as well. But they can't perform any treatment until you've stopped facial growth. What age/how long ago have you all started seeing an orthodontist in regard to orthognathic surgery?
Best of luck to venom with your treatment (:

I was referred by my dentist when I was about 13 (possibly younger), and had to wait then until I was 18. The general planning stage before you have any treatment is so annoying because you go to appointments but know that nothing is going to happen yet as you have to wait until you are old enough- regardless of knowing for all the length of time that you had a problem :roll: It would be so much better if they could just do it at a younger age, but of course they can't!

suzyscientist

#11 Post by suzyscientist »

I knew about it from the age of 18, but didn't bother investigating treatment options 'til I was in my early 20s, when my underbite started to get particularly problematic... But I chickened out of treatment because I was afraid of braces!! Until I realised that 18 months of braces was better than a lifetime of having to eat sandwiches with a knife and fork ;) I went to my dentist in spring 2009 and asked for a referral. Lots of appointments, planning clinics etc followed, and I finally got to the top of the waiting list for braces in Feb 2010 and the rest is history :)

It is a long process, and totally worth it, but I WISH WISH WISH I had started it earlier, the first time I had the chance. I'm turning 30 in a few months time and if I hadn't been so vain the first time round, I wouldn't be spending my 30th birthday in braces :s Not that it's a bad thing - I know it's for the best in the long run - I'm just annoyed at myself for letting vanity get the better of my 23-year-old-self :)

Hope your hospital appointment went ok today!

Suzy

PrincessLea

#12 Post by PrincessLea »

Hi Beth,

you're not alone! I'm from the UK and i'm getting ready to have jaw surgery for my open bite on the NHS. I was referred to an orthodontist when I was 15 but didn't want to go through with it. Plus my mum hates the idea of the op so she probably didn't give me the best advice. I was then referred again when I was 19 but turned it down. When I was 22 I went looking for it to be sorted. (Mum is still not happy and thinks I shouldn't be going through with it!)

I got my braces on in March this year and they've estimated the surgery will take place January 2012 so I hope it all sticks to schedule. I can't wait to see the end result. Of course it is a scary thought but we're in capable hands and theres so many other people that have been through it. you can just see the benefits shining through when anyone lets you in on their story!

My advice to you would be take lots of pictures before being braced and keep a picture timeline whilst braced. it really spurs you on!!

class3underbiteboy

#13 Post by class3underbiteboy »

suzyscientist wrote:I knew about it from the age of 18, but didn't bother investigating treatment options 'til I was in my early 20s, when my underbite started to get particularly problematic... But I chickened out of treatment because I was afraid of braces!! Until I realised that 18 months of braces was better than a lifetime of having to eat sandwiches with a knife and fork ;) I went to my dentist in spring 2009 and asked for a referral. Lots of appointments, planning clinics etc followed, and I finally got to the top of the waiting list for braces in Feb 2010 and the rest is history :)

It is a long process, and totally worth it, but I WISH WISH WISH I had started it earlier, the first time I had the chance. I'm turning 30 in a few months time and if I hadn't been so vain the first time round, I wouldn't be spending my 30th birthday in braces :s Not that it's a bad thing - I know it's for the best in the long run - I'm just annoyed at myself for letting vanity get the better of my 23-year-old-self :)

Hope your hospital appointment went ok today!

Suzy
That's surprising because vanity is the reason I'm going through with all this :wink:

suzyscientist

#14 Post by suzyscientist »

@ PrincessLea - my folks weren't supportive either. In fact the day before I was due to have surgery (I got a cancellation, so had less than 24 hours notice to my operation!) they were telling me not to do it. They're probably just worried for you having surgery... that's what my folks thought. They said I looked fine before, which I guess I did, but I knew that for *me*, the risks were tiny in comparison to the benefits. It's your decision, stay strong, and they'll be supportive once you actually get there! My mum actually braved her fear of flying, and came up to stay with me after the surgery... I was so proud of her :D

@Class3underbiteboy - LOL I know :) It became a trade-off for me: vanity of ugly underbite vs the vanity of braces... just had to wait until the underbite got bad enough for me to think I looked better with braces ;)

PrincessLea

#15 Post by PrincessLea »

@suzyscientist - in a way its good to hear that other people are having to put up with unsupportive parents. I'm glad you managed to get through it and it spurs me on to get through it now. My boyfriend has been my rock and will help me get through this. I feel like he completely understands why I'm going through with this and he understands that I need it doing. Some of my friends are supportive others aren't. The problem is if they have never been faced with this issue they never will truly understand why we choose to get it done!