MARCH 2011 BUDDIES

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

twinmom

Re: MARCH 2011 BUDDIES

#181 Post by twinmom »

Question for the March buddies (my April buddies are not as far along as I am). Did you ever feel as if your nasal congestion moved into your ears?

My nasal congestion is pretty much gone, but my ears feel very stopped up and almost painful at times.

rtxtavi02

#182 Post by rtxtavi02 »

Wahoo, saw the surgeon for a check up and he said I could eat whatever felt 'comfortable'. I have been eating everything in sight! Look out!

Rick
Jan 1998 - 4 Teeth Removed
May 1998 - Braces 1st Time (surgery recommended)
June 2000 - Wisdom Teeth Removed (crowded lower palate)
Dec 2008 - Braces 2nd Time (surgery recommended again)
June 2009 - Bottom Palate Expander
Mar 2011 - Lefort 1 (forward 5.5 mm with malar implants/bone grafting)

Laundraholic

#183 Post by Laundraholic »

rtxtavi02 wrote:Wahoo, saw the surgeon for a check up and he said I could eat whatever felt 'comfortable'. I have been eating everything in sight! Look out!

Rick
Really? Even biting into a pizza? What about nuts?!

Tomorrow is exactly 6 weeks for me and I have an appointment with the oral surgeon.
He had originally told me very soft chew for 6 weeks, so I'm *guessing* he's going to say its okay to start eating crunchier stuff. The thing is I've had some foods within the last week that haven't been that tough (ie meat) and it has been very uncomfortable still.

rtxtavi02

#184 Post by rtxtavi02 »

Laundraholic wrote:
rtxtavi02 wrote:Wahoo, saw the surgeon for a check up and he said I could eat whatever felt 'comfortable'. I have been eating everything in sight! Look out!

Rick
Really? Even biting into a pizza? What about nuts?!

Tomorrow is exactly 6 weeks for me and I have an appointment with the oral surgeon.
He had originally told me very soft chew for 6 weeks, so I'm *guessing* he's going to say its okay to start eating crunchier stuff. The thing is I've had some foods within the last week that haven't been that tough (ie meat) and it has been very uncomfortable still.
Most definitely pizza! Not the crust though, it is still a bit too tough for me. Nuts would still be difficult too, but I really haven't had too much that I can't eat anymore. I am still struggling with getting my mouth open wide enough for sandwhiches of any sort. The right side of my jaw tends to be a bit more tender than the left, so I have been doing quite a bit of chewing on the left side, but no big complaints so far!
Jan 1998 - 4 Teeth Removed
May 1998 - Braces 1st Time (surgery recommended)
June 2000 - Wisdom Teeth Removed (crowded lower palate)
Dec 2008 - Braces 2nd Time (surgery recommended again)
June 2009 - Bottom Palate Expander
Mar 2011 - Lefort 1 (forward 5.5 mm with malar implants/bone grafting)

kelhuntley

#185 Post by kelhuntley »

Hi all, haven't been on here lately, but just thought I would check in to see how everyone is going.

I've moved cities and started a new job since I was last on here, and everything has gone really well!

I'm 9 weeks post-op tomorrow (YAY!), and like you Rick I can pretty much eat whatever I want. I sometimes have to mangle it to get it in, but I can chew it! Sandwiches I eat with a knife and fork (and I have to squish it down to fit it through). I'm still struggling a bit with lettuce of all things though! I still carry my handy mirror with me when I eat out - just to be on the safe side!

Still have some slight numbness. My chin and bottom lip mainly feels like pins and needles but I can at least sort of feel it there.

I have an appointment with my orthodontist and surgeon in two weeks time (have to fly an hour back to my old home town where they are based for these as I didn't want to have to see someone new). I'm hoping I might be able to get rid of these rubber bands (wishful thinking probably) and maybe get a tentative date for when my braces can come off. As long as it is before my birthday in November I'll be happy!

All in all, I have absolutely no regrets having the surgery done, and love it when I catch my side on reflection in a mirror or window and see how much better it looks!

Hope you are all well!
Kelly
Goal:
To have the "perfect" smile before my 30th birthday - 29th November 2011

Braces:
Upper and Lower - 29th July 2009

Surgery:
Bilateral Sagittal Split Advancement Osteotomies of the Mandible (Lower Jaw +12mm) & Genioplasty (Chin -2mm) - 21st March 2011

freakyteeth

#186 Post by freakyteeth »

I cannot eat lettuce or raw veggies at add. My jaws just don't seem to bite down with enough force to bit through them. It's sad because it is summer and I seem to crave a fresh salad! I also was at a wedding where there was filet mignon and I couldn't chew it; even in little tiny pieces.

Hopefully I will continue to improve.
Braces 1986 & Sept 2007 (age 34)
severe class II impinging overbite
17 missing teeth (genetically)- AXIN 2 genetic mutation
Jan 2010 - genioplasty w/mandibular bone graft (from chin bone)
Jul 2010 - 4 mandibular implants. FAILED
Oct 2010 - re-placement of 3 implants, hardware removal
03/29/2011 - BSSO and 3 piece Lefort I
Sept 2012 - Upper jaw - 4 implants w/bone graft.
Jan 2016 - upper hardware removal, extensive upper bone graft

juneyer

#187 Post by juneyer »

Just an update-

I got the splint removed last wednesday. a huge relief. I've been doing my mouth exercises every night. My orthodontist put me in rubber bands to center my midline. But what made me think to post this morning was that when I woke up, literally overnight, I started having much more movement in my jaw, especially side to side motion. I'm still have limited opening, but I definitely have side to side motion that wasn't there yesterday. As far as numbness goes...I'm still numb on the left side of my chin and left side of my lip. However it is not like before. It doesn't feel like I'm wearing a mask, so it doesn't bother me as much. Tomorrow is week 9. Yesterday was 2 months for me.

Bullfighter

#188 Post by Bullfighter »

juneyer wrote:... As far as numbness goes...I'm still numb on the left side of my chin and left side of my lip. However it is not like before. It doesn't feel like I'm wearing a mask, so it doesn't bother me as much. Tomorrow is week 9. Yesterday was 2 months for me.
Sounds like you're recovering very well. The "wearing a mask" description is what I felt. Still feel like I'm "wearing a chin strap", so I hopefully that will go away.

dtdtdt

#189 Post by dtdtdt »

Bullfighter wrote:
juneyer wrote:... As far as numbness goes...I'm still numb on the left side of my chin and left side of my lip. However it is not like before. It doesn't feel like I'm wearing a mask, so it doesn't bother me as much. Tomorrow is week 9. Yesterday was 2 months for me.
Sounds like you're recovering very well. The "wearing a mask" description is what I felt. Still feel like I'm "wearing a chin strap", so I hopefully that will go away.
2.5 months post BSSO, and while my chin and lower lip are still completely numb, the good news is I am getting DEBRACED June 6. I am thrilled bc I am over this fun project!

The not so good news is OS will remove plates June 10. On one side it is too close to surface and part of the incision won't heal. I need to do a search to see what is involved. Anyone know?

I also worry that my lips don't quite close without extra pressure. Does that improve when braces are removed?

Hope your recoveries continue to be smooth!

Laundraholic

#190 Post by Laundraholic »

I'm now about 9 1/2 weeks post-op.

Last visit with my oral surgeon (at 6 weeks post-op) he was very pleased with the bite and said the next time I needed to see him was when the braces were removed.

Saw my orthodontist yesterday.
The bite is very good -- he told me to stop using the elastics (I was only using them at night for the past 1 1/2 months) and to come back for my next appointment in a month. If my bite remains stable without the elastics then I'm getting de-braced!!

kelhuntley

#191 Post by kelhuntley »

I saw my orthodontist and surgeon yesterday and I am getting debraced on the 20th July!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE so excited!!
Goal:

Braces:

Surgery:
Bilateral Sagittal Split Advancement Osteotomies of the Mandible (Lower Jaw +12mm) & Genioplasty (Chin -2mm) - 21st March 2011

freakyteeth

#192 Post by freakyteeth »

Glad everyone is doing well.

SLightly jealous that everyone is getting debraced. Although, my teeth are looking so yellow that it is probably a good thing.

Twinmom - tons of ear congestion. I've been prescibed Flonase nasal spray and it really helps!
Braces 1986 & Sept 2007 (age 34)
severe class II impinging overbite
17 missing teeth (genetically)- AXIN 2 genetic mutation
Jan 2010 - genioplasty w/mandibular bone graft (from chin bone)
Jul 2010 - 4 mandibular implants. FAILED
Oct 2010 - re-placement of 3 implants, hardware removal
03/29/2011 - BSSO and 3 piece Lefort I
Sept 2012 - Upper jaw - 4 implants w/bone graft.
Jan 2016 - upper hardware removal, extensive upper bone graft

kelis

#193 Post by kelis »

@kelhuntley:

I am moving to Auckland in July and as I have to go through surgery again, I would be thankful if you could give me some advice where in AKL or NZ i could find a very experienced surgeon.

My surgery was on March 22nd but it went wrong, so I had to do it again on April 19th. It still is not good, i have pain all day so i really would be glad to find somebody who can help me.

kelhuntley

#194 Post by kelhuntley »

kelis wrote:@kelhuntley:

I am moving to Auckland in July and as I have to go through surgery again, I would be thankful if you could give me some advice where in AKL or NZ i could find a very experienced surgeon.

My surgery was on March 22nd but it went wrong, so I had to do it again on April 19th. It still is not good, i have pain all day so i really would be glad to find somebody who can help me.
Hi Kelis,

Definitely - my surgeon is based in Newmarket, Auckland. His name is Lance West - and he is definitely one of the best. His details are here: http://www.orthodontist.net.nz/5+ST+MAR ... +West.html

PM me if you need any other details :)
Goal:

Braces:

Surgery:

kelis

#195 Post by kelis »

@kelhuntley: Thanks for your help, as i have a lot of other questions i would like to pm to you but unfortunately i can't write any :shock:

Think it does not work yet because i'm new to this board....