Best protein powder

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

leeann001

Best protein powder

#1 Post by leeann001 »

I am needing some advice on the best protein supplement out there. I'm not trying to bulk up while wired shut for 8 weeks. I'm 5'5" and 130 lbs. I could use something that's lower in sugar and fat, preferably. Any advice on what's the best tasting and easiest to add to my blended creations? :) Thanks in advance!

RMF7825

Re: Best protein powder

#2 Post by RMF7825 »

Garden of Life - Raw Protein Powder is a good one. Can purchase in health food stores. I have also gotten it at iherb.com. It is pricey but most of them are.

leeann001

#3 Post by leeann001 »

Thanks!

Wendymoon

#4 Post by Wendymoon »

I've tried a few and I like Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Natural Whey Vanilla. (I prefer whey to soy protein.) This one has no artificial flavors, colors or sweeteners and tastes really good. I like it in plain milk, or shakes, or smoothies.

If you can't find that, I also like the BioChem 100% Whey Protein Powder Vanilla. But I like Optimum Nutrition better!

DRG

#5 Post by DRG »

leeann001 wrote:I could use something that's lower in sugar and fat, preferably.
I strongly suggest that you reconsider your low fat constraint. Dietary fat, while high in calories, is particularly beneficial to hormone regulation and to your immune system as well. Coming out of jaw surgery you should take care that you are receiving a well-rounded input of carbs/protein/fats so as to provide your body with the building blocks it needs to get you through the healing process. It is not a time to exaggerate the weight loss, especially as being wired shut is tough enough already. I'd suggest dietary fat sources such as avocado, fish oil, olive oil, and of course peanut butter. I'm also partial to the Muscle Milk brand of protein supplements (containing medium chain triglycerides), but I'm sure that is not a good fit for everyone.

Best of luck, it *is* all worth it in the end,
DRG
Braces: 1986-1988
Open bite was not resolved
Braces again (at age 35): 15 APRIL 2010
Lefort I & IVRO: 21 FEB 2011
Unwired! 25 MAR 2011
Braces removed revealing my perfect bite: 4 JAN 2012

TitaniumAdded

#6 Post by TitaniumAdded »

I agree with DRG, that weight loss should be monitored by having a solid diet of carbs/fats/proteins.

Also it is a major myth that using protein powder helps people put on weight or bulk up. No matter how much protein you drink, if you're not working out you won't put on any muscle which incurs a lot of weight gain. It's the calories which is most important, and you don't get enough from just a scoop of protein, it would be maybe around 200 cal. I'd suggest putting in a banana, some peanut butter, and even ice cream if necessary to keep the wait on.

I used EAS brand of protein, since I've found it the best tasting. Most whey proteins are similar enough, that's why I would usually recommend the costco brand to people since it's pure whey and cheap.
Double Jaw Surgery + Septoplasty + Genioplasty on May 9, 2011
Blogging at: http://doublejawfix.blogspot.com/

trossi

#7 Post by trossi »

I really like Vega whole food supplement. Its very natural and contains stevia instead of synthetic sweeteners. I purchase it at my local health food store.