How long was your mouth wired/banded shut?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

MeanCactus

How long was your mouth wired/banded shut?

#1 Post by MeanCactus »

Hey all, been wired shut for four weeks this Friday and won't get the wires cut until next Friday (should have been tomorrow but the surgeon is gone all week - no I'm not angry lol :twisted: ). Then I'm going to be banded, at first heavily.

Just wondering how long everyone else has been shut? I'm hoping it only takes me two weeks in bands because I want to start eating for one and start lifting weights again before my whole summer is shot as well. idk I'm tired of just feeling like laying around cause I can't talk or do much of anything besides light activity. My oral surgeon won't even let me work over four hours or lift anything over 10 pounds. I personally think I could do both of those things.

MeanCactus

Re: How long was your mouth wired/banded shut?

#2 Post by MeanCactus »

Oh if it helps I had double jaw surgery. Just wanting to know if everyone is having a long a process as I am for recovery.

TitaniumAdded

#3 Post by TitaniumAdded »

Hey meancactus,

Different surgeons do things differently. I've read of people being banded from anywhere of not at all to 6-7 weeks. I got unbanded(where I couldn't open at all) after 2 weeks and was then onto elastics. I had my splint off the week after(week 3) and still on elastics. I'm now on week 6.

I felt good to go for walks and such a few days in. I totally understand not being able to hit the weights, however I tried going with my buddy twice this past week. Expect to drop the weight you used to do. Also avoid teeth clenching. Yesterday was chest and I was pushing maybe 3 quarters of what I rep. I don't think it hurts to lift 10 pounds or so as long as it is within reason. I would start with light aerobic work first however.
Double Jaw Surgery + Septoplasty + Genioplasty on May 9, 2011
Blogging at: http://doublejawfix.blogspot.com/

beowulf68

#4 Post by beowulf68 »

MeanCactus I wish I was in your shoes by being wired shut for only 5 weeks. After I had my surgery last November, they wired me shut for 10 weeks and after that I had bands for another 2 weeks. My Surgeon let me go back to work after 4 weeks and even though I had another 6 weeks before they cut me out of the wires I had no problem talking to people. I found I could talk pretty good with my jaws closed. No one in my family nor my work had any problem understanding me.

The worse part about my recovery was that I found out a couple of weeks ago I have to go back under the knife and get both of my bottom jaws rebroken and I'll be wired shut again, though only 6 weeks this time.

MeanCactus

#5 Post by MeanCactus »

Wow beowulf maybe I shouldn't be complaining so much. Good luck in your next surgery!

beowulf68

#6 Post by beowulf68 »

Thanks....Question for you. How do they have your wired? Did they insert archbars and then wind the wires thru those or do you have braces? Hopefully you have braces because archbars are no fun when they have to take them off!!

MeanCactus

#7 Post by MeanCactus »

Yeah luckily they just did it with my braces! There are gaps in my upper row of teeth that I think they were going to do something with regarding the surgery but there's nothing there so idk if I was supposed to get the bar things and just didn't or what.

beowulf68

#8 Post by beowulf68 »

If you have braces then you don't need archbars. Archbars are these nasty things that are put under your gum line wrapped around each of your teeth. Once they are in they have a post that sticks out that allows the Doc to wrap wires around them which holds your jaws shut. They usually put them in while your under anesthesia. But unfortunately my Doc doesn't use anesthesia to remove them. When they removed mine after the first surgery they sprayed my gums with some topical benzocaine mix that was supposed to make my gums numb (they were, but not numb enough!!!). Once they spray your gums, they wait a minute or two, then get at it by cutting the wires holding them around each tooth and then yank them off one by one. It really sucks!!! This next surgery they have to put the archbars again on me and when it comes time to have them removed, I'm going to demand that they sedate me. If they absolutely refuse the sedation, then they better gas me stupid with Nitrous because I'm not going thru that HELL again!!!

DRG

#9 Post by DRG »

MeanCactus wrote:Just wondering how long everyone else has been shut? I'm hoping it only takes me two weeks in bands because I want to start eating for one and start lifting weights again before my whole summer is shot as well. idk I'm tired of just feeling like laying around cause I can't talk or do much of anything besides light activity. My oral surgeon won't even let me work over four hours or lift anything over 10 pounds. I personally think I could do both of those things.
I was also wired shut for nearly five weeks, however, after the first week or two my surgeon said that I could resume weightlifting as long as I didn't strain with my jaw & he was strict about not running. As TitaniumAdded experienced, I too was also only pushing a minimum amount of weights. The biggest problem I had when lifting was the inability to breathe thanks to my splint. I couldn't push myself very hard without getting lightheaded, quite the limiting factor. I still haven't caught back up to my "usual" pre-surgery weights. That's been primarily by choice as I decided to use my weight loss as a jumpstart to get leaner and faster (for triathlons, 5k's, etc.) rather than try to regain the mass I had lost - 20 lbs lost while wired, 10 more since then (by choice).

Once I got unwired, I was only banded tightly for about ten days, until my ortho took over from my OS. I found it reassuring to have the rubber bands holding things in place. When I would take them out to eat I felt very exposed and somewhat fragile...afraid that I was about ruin my healing process. That didn't last too long.

You should get outside and walk to help the healing process. Sitting around too much can be quite tough mentally too, I found.

DRG
Braces: 1986-1988
Open bite was not resolved
Braces again (at age 35): 15 APRIL 2010
Lefort I & IVRO: 21 FEB 2011
Unwired! 25 MAR 2011
Braces removed revealing my perfect bite: 4 JAN 2012

MeanCactus

#10 Post by MeanCactus »

DRG yeah I've been taking walks every few days. One good thing about Missouri is there are a lot of cool trails to walk on when you want to get away from air conditioning and urban areas.

talkalot24

#11 Post by talkalot24 »

I was told 5-6 weeks.

talkalot24

#12 Post by talkalot24 »

But yeah, it varies by doctor and by the patient's progress.

mc2001

#13 Post by mc2001 »

For those that have been wired, would you rather have been wired if banded?

conine

#14 Post by conine »

I had lower only. I went straight to elastics. At first, I had six very heavy elastics, and could only open my mouth about a quarter inch. After a week, I went down to two heavy elastics, and after the second week, two light elastics. I will be in these until week five, when my ortho will give me a rest from elastics for a month while he switches out some brackets.