About to get braces for orthognathic surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ready4change

About to get braces for orthognathic surgery

#1 Post by ready4change »

I'm about to take the plunge and get the braces for orthognathic surgery next week. I had braces when I was a teenager, but it didn't remedy my small recessed jaw and gummy smile. I'm nervous about having to go through the whole metal mouth thing again, but believe it will be worth it in the end. I'm wondering - since my teeth are perfectly straight and my bite is good, will this whole process be quicker for me than most? Meaning, will my time in braces pre- and post op be expedited? I want to be done with this whole process within a year. Is that an unrealistic expectation? Any input would be appreciated. thanks

annafaith

Re: About to get braces for orthognathic surgery

#2 Post by annafaith »

Hi,

I was in braces for about 8 months when my surgeon thought my teeth were ready for the surgery. I had some minor crooked teeth but nothing major going on. And he only mentioned it in passing at a routine appointment. However, logistically I had to wait until July this year (NHS waits etc.).

The whole process did seem to plod along a bit. If you are really eager, and your teeth are straight, I think it's down to the surgeon when you have the surgery. If you're going NHS route then bug your surgeons secretary to see if you can speed things up. If you're going privately then you're the customer, so if your teeth are ready it should be up to you to get it done asap! At least that's what sounds nice in theory. Basically, in my opinion, times are often due to organisation rather than when you're ready, so if you're pushy about it you could get it done within the year. However, you're probably going to need to keep your braces on for at least a few months post op too, so gotta factor that in.

Good luck with getting them fitted, and all the best

ReoSity

#3 Post by ReoSity »

I'm getting them put on as well this month and the estimate I was given was 6-9 months even though like you I had braces in the past and my teeth are straight and I have a good bite.

Best case scenario for most people is 6 months pre then 6 months post surgery so roughly a year.

SLiM2590

#4 Post by SLiM2590 »

I just got my braces 3 weeks ago. I also had braces previously and had straight teeth and a decent bite.

I was told that I'd be ready for surgery in 6 months. We'll see :)

ready4change

#5 Post by ready4change »

I'm wondering, how do they determine when your teeth are "ready".

ohshegoes

#6 Post by ohshegoes »

My orthos estimate for me was 16 months in braces then surgery and a few more months after that. I have pretty straight teeth but do have crowding on my lower set and will have two teeth extracted so im assuming thats why i will be braced for so long.

SLiM2590

#7 Post by SLiM2590 »

ready4change wrote:I'm wondering, how do they determine when your teeth are "ready".

I'm pretty sure it's when you're decompensated that you're ready. The orthodontist explained it as something along the lines of flattening the dental arches, aligning the teeth in each jaw separately, and creating enough space for advancement or moving the jaw backwards. I may be forgetting something but that's along the lines of what's needed before surgery can take place.

ready4change

#8 Post by ready4change »

[quote="SLiM2590"][quote="ready4change"]I'm wondering, how do they determine when your teeth are "ready".[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it's when you're decompensated that you're ready. The orthodontist explained it as something along the lines of flattening the dental arches, aligning the teeth in each jaw separately, and creating enough space for advancement or moving the jaw backwards. I may be forgetting something but that's along the lines of what's needed before surgery can take place.[/quote]

That's helpful. Thanks for your posts. I'm just really not looking forward to a whole year in braces :-(