looking for orthodontist

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

thenumber12

looking for orthodontist

#1 Post by thenumber12 »

Hey all. For those of you living in/around Los Angeles who have had or preparing for jaw surgery, who is your orthodontist and did you like him/her? I need some recommendations.

I called a ortho in Sherman Oaks and the receptionist was SOO helpful and kind with what I needed to get, such as records from past ortho, dental x-rays, letters from ENT etc but they charge $200 for a consult and braces from $7,000+ for regular and $10,000 for surgical orthodontics (jaw surgery prep) :huh:

I mean, I do admit that I can be cheap but.... anyone else think that that's WAY TOO MUCH!??!?

thenumber12

Re: looking for orthodontist

#2 Post by thenumber12 »

also recommendation for affordable dental plan that includes adult orthodontia would be great too!
Thanks!!

ramirezmu8

#3 Post by ramirezmu8 »

you should check out UCLA. they are very affordable and provide good service. I paid $3100

thenumber12

#4 Post by thenumber12 »

ramirezmu8,

Wow, $3800 is awesome! Was it a student/intern doing the adjustments?

Another question for those of you who live in California and have Delta Dental PPO, do you get adult orthodontia coverage? I would call and ask them myself but they're closed.

ramirezmu8

#5 Post by ramirezmu8 »

yeah the senior resident students do the adjustments but you shouldn't worry, they know what they are doing.

thenumber12

#6 Post by thenumber12 »

Cool. Thanks for the tip! I'll check them out.

ramirezmu8

#7 Post by ramirezmu8 »

no problem. if you decide to go there, maybe ill see you around

Bullfighter

#8 Post by Bullfighter »

As a point of reference I paid ~$5000 here in San Diego, for an experienced orthodontist. He does surgery prep cases all the time.

$10K sounds like you're getting gold-plated brackets and a massage at every appointment.

treevernal

#9 Post by treevernal »

Wow, 10k for a surgery prep case? I'm starting braces in Sept. for surgery and my total orthodontic cost is ~$6500. I'm in San Diego going with Dr. McLaughlin too.

It all depends on what you need done but for them to tell you 10k over the phone before even seeing your case sounds excessive to me.

thenumber12

#10 Post by thenumber12 »

The part that really caught me off guard was the $200 consultation fee. I have never heard of an orthodontist charging that kind of fee. I always ask before hand over the phone if they charge the initial visit and every one of them sounded stunned that I even asked.

Do all of you have dental insurance?
I'm currently looking at Delta Dental PPO (they do cover adult orthodontia) and hopefully it'll lessen the cost of braces. I went to see an ortho today and I can't get braced until they pinpoint what is causing the neck and jaw pain so he referred me to his UCLA dental school instructor, Dr Bergman located in Camarillo. Supposedly he's the best of the best and currently writing research papers etc so he said this ortho should find my case "interesting".

The cool thing is the ortho I visited today said creating space with braces for premolar implants is more than possible! BUT, he doesn't want to do that for naught if it's not going to solve my head and neck pain.

Anyone have any experiences with Dr Bergman?

thenumber12

#11 Post by thenumber12 »

Bullfighter wrote:As a point of reference I paid ~$5000 here in San Diego, for an experienced orthodontist. He does surgery prep cases all the time.

$10K sounds like you're getting gold-plated brackets and a massage at every appointment.
lol that was hilarious!

treevernal

#12 Post by treevernal »

I did have to pay a little over $200 for my initial orthodontic consult but they didnt give me a price quote until after reviewing my case. I have a dental PPO through work which is covering $1000 of the braces and my orthodontist also gives a discount if you pay in full which is what I'm doing.

Good luck, though yes, many orthodontists will do a complimentary consultation. I'm sure you'll find the right one near you.

Okra

#13 Post by Okra »

Does anyone recommend any orthodontists in the Charleston, SC area? I saw an orthodontist for a consult in Atlanta and really liked him but we are moving to SC soon. He recommended I go to the medical school in Charleston, does anyone have any experience with anyone there? Thanks!