Surgeries with Arnett/Gunson Anyone?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

double jawbreaker

Re: Surgeries with Arnett/Gunson Anyone?

#16 Post by double jawbreaker »

Hey Amac, I have uppers and lowers...full metal jacket. How about you? Where are you at in the treatment process? Anything with pineapple is a good anti inflammatory because of the Bromelain.

amac

#17 Post by amac »

Thanks for the tip on pineapple.. didn't know that one! I only have lower braces and wear a splint on the uppers right now. My teeth don't need too much orthodontic work but the doctor was thinking 9-12 months total pre-surgery. I've had braces for a little over 1 month and am hoping his projected frame will be even shorter as we move along. The upper braces will probably go on sometime in the next fews months. What's your treatment schedule looking like?

peskywabbit

#18 Post by peskywabbit »

lisab28 wrote:hey peskywabbit...did u have ur genio w/ dr. cohen by chance? had a horrible genio experience w/ him...if u did, i want to talk w/ u

lisa
Wow, can't believe I missed this post. Sorry so late, Lisa. Well, no I did not have my genioplasty with Dr Cohen. It was with Dr Felice O'Ryan. Apparently there were a few things she messed up on, I now know. Anyway, found Dr Robert Relle of Kaiser, Los Angeles today. He seems amazing. So going to have genio revised on Aug 22. Are you in the So Cal area?

Minerva

#19 Post by Minerva »

Asmileconnectus,

May I email or PM you?

asmileconnectsus

#20 Post by asmileconnectsus »

Hi Minerva, just saw this...feel free to PM me any time.

Okra

Re: surgery

#21 Post by Okra »

[quote="Christina28"]If you are lucky enough to have a choice of competent, talented surgeons, that is of course the best way to go. However, I have discovered that in some parts of the USA, at least, there is a scarcity of surgeons who perform these procedures. This seems to be, at least in part, because of lack of insurance coverage in some states. Outside of the US, in countries where there is national health care, I read about a lot of surgeries and therefore perhaps more surgeons that do this. In the US, if you live in Texas, California, or North Carolina for example there are lots of surgeons. In other states, you might have very little choice. So traveling might be something you could consider.[/quote]

Hi Christina28, Do you mind sharing names of good surgeons you know of in North Carolina? I'm moving to South Carolina and haven't had very much luck finding any info on surgeons there. Based on RYANvaughn's recommendation on another board (he also pointed me towards this site - thanks Ryan!) I'm hoping to schedule a consult with Dr. Gunson as I'm willing to travel to go to the best. That being said, I understand from reading on here that it might just be too expensive for me to go with Dr. G and I might have to find someone else. Thanks!!

RMF7825

Re: North Carolina Surgeons

#22 Post by RMF7825 »

I don't have personal experience with them, but I have understand that Dr. Timothy Turvey at UNC and Dr. Daniel Spagnoli (sp?) do a lot of these surgeries. Below is link to professional association for oral surgeons.

http://www.aaoms.org

Okra

#23 Post by Okra »

Thanks so much RMF7825! I will check them out.

angelstrings

#24 Post by angelstrings »

Does anyone have the Arnett/Gunson website? I can't even find their number. I would like to fly down in January for a consult.

Marisama

#25 Post by Marisama »

This is their only website: http://www.arnettcourses.com/

angelstrings

#26 Post by angelstrings »

Thanks Ryan

peskywabbit

#27 Post by peskywabbit »

@chicago29 and colorado: I totally see your point about Arnett/Gunson. I've decided to seek elsewhere as they are way too expensive and time consuming for the average person like me. Thanks for the info.

thenumber12

#28 Post by thenumber12 »

If I may ask, how all of you are affording such costly procedures+travel and consult fees? These doctors don't even have payment plans unfortunately.

RMF7825

#29 Post by RMF7825 »

Many surgeons participate in CareCredit and orther similar programs. You need to qualifiy just like with other lines of credit. Depending on the doctor, they may have 12 months or more of interest free accounts. After that there is a set interest rate charged. Website for them is http://www.carecredit.com/
It is up to the particular doctor what plans they participate in.

lexchomp

#30 Post by lexchomp »

Hi everyone! I need upper jaw surgery to correct my openbite. I am in the process of trying to find a surgeon. Gunson seems highly recommended. but everyone keeps saying how expensive he is. i know everyone varies depending on their needs but just how expensive is expensive? I've seen so many varied prices its hard to judge what to think of as expensive and inexpensive for surgery.

Also I am new to these boards and i want to PM people who say to PM them who have worked with Dr. Gunson but i cant figure out how. someone said click on a symbol with two people that says PM but i don't see it anywhere.