Motorcycle riders - post surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sm531

Motorcycle riders - post surgery

#1 Post by sm531 »

I am curious about after my double jaw surgery.... how long after my surgery will I be able to comfortably wear my helmet.... Does anyone here ride as well that might be able to help me figure out if I have to drive my clunker to work when I go back, or if I can start right back with riding once I'm well enough to go back to work....??

mc2001

Re: Motorcycle riders - post surgery

#2 Post by mc2001 »

I'm interested in this as well

Super Smile

#3 Post by Super Smile »

What are you having done? I think you should be able to wear it wihtin 4 weeks. What I would ask your docs about is the vibration from the motorcycle and if that is ok. I don't ride, but I am a runner, and it was a good 3+ months before I was able to get back running again, even though everything else was totally fine and the swelling was all gone.

sm531

#4 Post by sm531 »

I am going to be having a Lefort I, Sagittal Split and Septoplasty.... so pretty much everything it seems but my eyes! lol

That was the same thing my bf was saying, is maybe worry about the bumps on the road and just the general vibrations of the motor, etc.....

Super Smile

#5 Post by Super Smile »

I'm getting the works too - lefort and bsso and something with the chin too. I had SARPE last September. From what I can tell, the recover is about the same. Maybe slightly longer since it's both jaws, but not too much different. Do you have a date yet? Good luck with your procedures and hope you are able to get back to riding soon.

RMF7825

#6 Post by RMF7825 »

The chin strap for the helmet may be an issue after surgery. How long it takes for complete healing is something that doctors have varying opinions on.

sm531

#7 Post by sm531 »

RMF7825 wrote:The chin strap for the helmet may be an issue after surgery. How long it takes for complete healing is something that doctors have varying opinions on.
Wouldn't ya know it.. I had an appt with my OS Thursday and we discussed what he'll do, I asked about my diet, if I'll be wired shut (no!! yay!!) and all that.. but remembered as I was driving off that I wanted to ask when I can get back on!! grrrrr.... oh well, hopefully I can ask this Thursday for my pre-op discussion or at least have him make a note to let me know later when we get there!!

Surgery in 8 days! Wheeeee!!!!!

cvn

#8 Post by cvn »

My surgeon said a year before any helmets with chinstraps could be worn. YMMV.

Bullfighter

#9 Post by Bullfighter »

cvn wrote:My surgeon said a year before any helmets with chinstraps could be worn. YMMV.
Was gonna say, I can't imagine having that weight dragging your jaw back and forth is a good idea. :shock:

A year sounds long, though -- my understanding is bone heals in ~6 months.

sm531

#10 Post by sm531 »

Believe it or not guys, my OS said only 6 weeks before he thinks I can put it back on!!!!! I'll probably try to wait 3 months tho just in case..... Maybe there's a difference between ages and health that go into the decision,... I drink but don't smoke and am only 26 for example.... Either way, w00t!!!!!!! 2 days to go!!! :-* :dance: :jump: