Post-Sarpe surgery confusion

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

brandiwhine

Post-Sarpe surgery confusion

#1 Post by brandiwhine »

I'm 27, female, and had sarpe surgery 4 weeks ago. We (my husband and I) finally stopped turning my expander a week ago. Unfortunately I don't just have one doctor, I have 3 that I randomly get to talk to. The problem is I keep getting conflicting information. So, to my fellow sarpe experiencers out there, I was wondering how long your doctors told you to wait before chewing solid foods and before getting out and running for exercise.

Van'braces

Re: Post-Sarpe surgery confusion

#2 Post by Van'braces »

Hi,
I was told I could chew as and when I felt I could, it was about a week before I could chew very soft things(over cooked pasta)) not because of pain just because it felt odd. I was pretty much told I couldnt do any damage, it was a few weeks before I could chew steak or anything like that! With regard to sports I was just told I had to wait 3 months for light impact, 6 months for full impact, (rugby and the like) I would ask one of your surgeons though if you are getting conflicting advice from other people

brandiwhine

#3 Post by brandiwhine »

Thanks for the response. I finally got to email my actual surgeon. She explained one of my doctors was a first year and told me wrong on some stuff. She also told me not to chew at all or do any sort of exercise until my jaw is healed (4 1/2 weeks from now). I'm still a bit worried but when the time comes I'll just take it slow at first.

It hasn't quite been 2 weeks since we stopped expanding and 5 weeks of a "no chew" diet. I find myself a bit more emotional than I ever want to be. Not being able to eat what you want really gets tiring after a while. And as much as I don't want to let my 9mm gap bother me, I find myself letting it get to me even when I try to act like I'm not self-conscious.
I feel my husband is getting the worst out of it cause he has to put up with me. Last night we were supposed to go out with one of his friends to a bar to listen to music. It was sprung on me and I said I would go but when it was time to leave I changed my mind because I got self-conscious about myself. I feel so bad about the whole thing. I hope my emotions get better as I start getting used to things a little more.

Super Smile

#4 Post by Super Smile »

I had SARPE back on September 28th of last year, and I went back to running on January 10th. Just about 3 and a half months. I may have been able to go back earlier, but I just told myself that I would pick it back up again after my holiday vacation.

I completely understand about being self conscious about the gap. I found dental wax really helped to hide it, and I just tried to not show my teeth too much. Just remember that a person's reaction to your condition is a reflection of them and not you. If the person is so ignorant as to have no consideration of others, don't let that bother you. Be strong. It's a temporary situation, and you know you are on the path of a great thing.

I also found that whenever I was sad about not being able to eat something - ice cream always helped. If I wanted to eat tacos, I would go and get myself a big bowl or cookies-n-cream. After the first spoonful, I totally forgot about wanting tacos.

surusuru

#5 Post by surusuru »

Hi. Great that you had reply from doctor. I would ask you how many days your cheeks and upper jaw were swollen, because i'm a bit concerned for my swelling. I'm in day 10 post op and my face is still pretty swollen. Is that normal? Good look.

eschermesser

#6 Post by eschermesser »

My wife is about to go through the same surgery and is very concerned about eating. From what the dr. said it would be smooties for the first few days...

brandiwhine

#7 Post by brandiwhine »

Thanks for all the replies. I am actually really feeling better about everything. And I really should try the cookies and cream trick; that's one I haven't done yet.

I have to say, surusuru, my swelling really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Most of it was gone after a couple weeks. I'm 6wks post-op now and the only thing that bothers me is I still feel alittle swollen along the area of my cut that goes across the jaw (under the nose). I figure that won't last too awful long either and it's really not that noticeable. And I'm slowly but surely getting the feeling back in my top gums too. :GapToothed:

Eschermesser, your wife is in for quite a few smoothies. I also found apple juice was really easy to drink within the first couple days; especially if they give her pills to swallow, it helps them go down better than water I thought. Milkshakes are also nice. And for vitamins, Ensure or Boost is good.