SARPE in combination with MSDO

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Rivvie

SARPE in combination with MSDO

#1 Post by Rivvie »

Hi, I'm new to the boards (been reading for some months though). I'm nearing the end of a long time of waiting from the initial consult to "brace day" which should be in the next couple of weeks.

I have been told that I would need a SARPE + MSDO (mandibular distraction) first, and then after about a year a lefort 1+BSSO.
I have read lot's about the SARPE and lefort+BSSO, however I can not find a lot of information about the MSDO procedure.

I am supposed to have the SARPE and MSDO at the same time, so I will be expanding both upper and lower jaw at the same time, which my surgeon described as being very uncomfortable. Mainly because the shift in both upper and lower will result in loss of contact of the molars, making it hard to eat at times. And I will be on soft foods for a few weeks because my lower jaw is split.

Is there anyone out here that could share their story on this procedure?

surusuru

Re: SARPE in combination with MSDO

#2 Post by surusuru »

I don't know about MSDO. I only can tell you about the SARPE. I'm in day 13 post op and I can tell you that is not very uncomfortable. Only the first days. You have to prepare beforehand a good liquid diet, and be healthy when you get surgery, with a good weight because you might loose some weight. Stay positive and everything is gonna be Ok. In my case the thing most irritating was the nasal pack to stop bleeding. I had it about 72 hs and was not very good, but nothing terrible. Good luck.