SARPE nEED INFORMATION PLEASE?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SARPEY

SARPE nEED INFORMATION PLEASE?

#1 Post by SARPEY »

Hello people :D
I am due to get rapid maxillary expansion on my upper pallete followed by braces. I have an over bite and my two fronth teeth are a bit over to one side and dont directly meet in the centre of my mouth!Ive been conscious of my teeth my whole life so now that I have two little babies and Im 26 years old i feel its time to face the fear and do something about it :lol:

However,I cannot seem to find much information on it. I would really appreciate some info like how long my teeth will have the gap?how long i need to take off work?Can I have work done on my teeth while the braces are on?root canal ?crowns?

Would really appreciate any information and would love to see some before and after pics if anyone has them :wink:

Super Smile

Re: SARPE nEED INFORMATION PLEASE?

#2 Post by Super Smile »

There is tons of information on this board for you. There are also a lot of blogs people have made of their journey thru SARPE. I had mine just over a year ago (it was Sept 28th, 2010). I was in the hospital for 1 night after, and had a bunch of swelling after. The swelling peeked after about the 3rd or 4th day, and then slowly went down. After about 10 days - 2 weeks, it wasn't too noticeable. I turned my key twice a day, once in the morning and once at night, for about 2 weeks. The gap was about as big as 1 front tooth, and it slowly closed on its own after about 6-7 weeks.

I was out of work for a month, but that is because that is what the doctor recommended. I could have gone back to work after 2 weeks if I had to. Of course this also depends on what your job is. I do administrative work in an office on a computer all day - nothing strenuous. If you have a more physically demanding job, you may want to wait a little longer.

I got my upper braced on Dec 22, 2010, followed by 4 extractions on Jan 4, 2011, and then the lower braces late January (I don't recall the exact date). I don't think braces would prevent other work such as a root canal or crown, but I think it would be easier if that stuff is taken care of before getting the braces (that's just MHO - you should really talk more about that with the ortho/dentist).

I hope you find all the info you are looking for, and don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have on here.

hollywoodkid

#3 Post by hollywoodkid »

I am scheduled to have SARPE done on Thursday, Oct. 6 and I am so scared and anxious! I got my RPE in about 2 weeks ago now and that took some getting used to. Braces have been on since Sept 14. My orthodontist said I need about 5mm of space.

SARPEY

Re: SARPE

#4 Post by SARPEY »

Hi guys, thanks for your replys. I got the expander put on yesterday and I cannot believe how uncomfortable it is especially to eat!!I have a bit of weight to lose after having my babies anyway so I wont complain too much! Tomorrow I am going for SARPE surgery and getting a tooth removed and hopefully another exposed (i say hopefully because the ortho yesterday said that the surgeon may not be able to do it tomorrow as planned as the guy who made my expander put some bar accross where the tooth thats supposed to be exposed so it could make it difficult. Im quite confused actually about the expander actually as its attached to two teeth side by side on one side of my mouth but on the other its attached to two teeth with a tooth in between. If ye get what I mean??? :? Im a bit worried really..

is anyone going through SARPE at this time?It would be great to meet some people in the same situation. I feel in the dark with this :(

kitkatx

#5 Post by kitkatx »

Hello there sarpey!

I had my Sarpe surgery done last Wednesday so if you have any questions or need someone to talk to I'm here for you, and there are a lot of helpful posts in the main sarpe surgery topic. On day 4 of recovery and am coming down from the swelling and just drinking lots of shakes and smoothies. Wish you luck :D

SARPEY

#6 Post by SARPEY »

Hi kitkatx thanks so much for reply. im just waiting in the hospital now to go in. Here it goes!ill be back on this week to chat more xxx

SARPEY

#7 Post by SARPEY »

[quote="kitkatx"]Hello there sarpey!

I had my Sarpe surgery done last Wednesday so if you have any questions or need someone to talk to I'm here for you, and there are a lot of helpful posts in the main sarpe surgery topic. On day 4 of recovery and am coming down from the swelling and just drinking lots of shakes and smoothies. Wish you luck :D[/quote]

Hi kitkatz how re you now?im on day 3 of recovery. Last night i began to vomit blood and was very very sick. Im sleeping so much now and completely wiped out and swollen. How are you?

kitkatx

#8 Post by kitkatx »

[quote="SARPEY"]
Hi kitkatz how re you now?im on day 3 of recovery. Last night i began to vomit blood and was very very sick. Im sleeping so much now and completely wiped out and swollen. How are you?[/quote]

I relate a lot to the sleeping all the time during the first few days, but I knew it was good for the healing. To keep the swelling down I rotated ice packs on my face like every half hour. I had ky surgery last Wednesday and a week later I feel almost entirely back to normal (aside from the lovely gap I'm growing).

Really hope you feel better sarpey! Just know that it should only get better from here and make sure to eat/drink all you can to keep your strength up. Hope to hear from you soon! :D