December 2011 Surgery Buddies??

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sm531

December 2011 Surgery Buddies??

#1 Post by sm531 »

I have my surgery date for 12/14/11 for my Lefort I, Sagittal Split and Septoplasty surgery!

I'm not sure how far they're moving my jaws, but I do know the general idea of what they'll do and just mostly excited about the septoplasty than anything!! I have not been able to breathe forever I guess so it's going to be interesting once I start healing enough to be able to breathe through my nose properly and not be a mouth breather anymore but also to get my bottom jaw and tongue out of my throat when trying to sleep and not having a gummy smile.....

I'll only have one night hospital stay as my oral surgeon doesn't think a nurse asking every hour or so (even when you're trying to get rest) "how are you feeling on a scale of 1-10?..." is very conducive to healing :-*

Wondering if there's anyone else out there getting surgery and the whole ordeal of maybe missing or completely missing Xmas/New Year's/holidays with family and friends....

--Teresa

SLiM2590

Re: December 2011 Surgery Buddies??

#2 Post by SLiM2590 »

I am tentatively in this group. If I get my way, I'll have surgery around 12/14-12/16. We'll see if that actually happens. I can't believe the time has come for me to join a buddies thread :D . I'll have a more definite answer (and hopefully a date) in about 3 weeks.

I need Lefort, BSSO & possibly genio, with 2 nights in the hospital. No movement measurements yet.

NYE won't be my usual fun, but Christmas should be just fine as I'm usually at home with family.

I'm nervous about eating! I'm pretty picky so being forced to be drink meals and eating mushy meals won't be fun. I need to start experimenting now because somehow waiting until I'm forced to drink boost/ensure to test it out is probably not a good idea :)

littleviolet

#3 Post by littleviolet »

Yay December buddies :D im having surgery on the 8th. Im having lower jaw surgery to correct my overbite (sorry not sure of the medical terms :p) they are moving my lower jaw forward. I think my overbite is about 8mm... haven't had it measured for a while though.

Im so exited! can't wait to get it over and done with! I have been preparing a lot... had some appointments already for blood tests and xrays and I have appointments every week coming up to the operation. Im also going to start planning what im going to eat after surgery & I've started on a protien shake to bulk up a bit so I don't get too skinny during recovery.

I will be staying in the hospital for 2 or 3 nights (one night in intensive care unit)... probably dont need to stay that long though lol thats just what my surgeon likes to do.

kefcorp

#4 Post by kefcorp »

hey hi howdy. I'm having mine on 12/1. Today is actually my first pre-surgery appointment (of two; the second is in 12 days). I'm getting at the very least a Lefort I plus my upper wisdom teeth out, as I have a very severe (10mm+) open bite and removing my wisdom teeth along with the Lefort will give me a perfect bite. Unfortunately the lowers have to wait, since they had to extract all (save my wisdoms) of my lower molars a couple years ago to make braces work. :( This is a hell of a process, but I'm extra super excited to see the transformation.

kefcorp

#5 Post by kefcorp »

(sorry, can't edit posts yet)

did I say 10mm? that seems a bit of an overestimation, but it's bad. I'll be sure to get all the nuts and bolts from my surgeon today.

Mercy

#6 Post by Mercy »

About two years ago, after knowing for my whole life that something was wrong with me, I discovered this surgery. My journey for happiness began. Now, with my surgery being set for December 5th, 2011, the time for my healing is finally approaching.

sneece

#7 Post by sneece »

I am scheduled for surgery dec 21 for BSSRO, Lefort 1, Lt TMJ total joint replacement and surgical splints at the University of Minnesota with Dr James Swift

Ganeshkumar

#8 Post by Ganeshkumar »

@sneece hi i m ganesh frm india...i cmpleted my orthogonic treatment a yr ago as if had overbite(4 yrs i had braces)...now my teeth seems to aligned ...but came to knw i hve a receding chin...so wanna hve my surgery asap ,as if post operative measure wont take much tym i feel...gonna hve my first 2 appointments with dec 3-10...is it possible to get my surgery date within 25 dec...becoz my clg reopens by jan 1, so i hve no other option...wat do u think?give me a better reply...how far tym does post operative measures take place giving the surgery date...

maz39

#9 Post by maz39 »

HI,

I am scheduled for surgery on the 1st December. I'm having my upper jaw moved up, and the cant corrected. Also having my lower jaw brought forward. Total 9mm moved i think. I'm having surgery in the UK- i dn't think orthognathic surgery is a common here as in the US.

Maz

BaliGirl

#10 Post by BaliGirl »

Yippee, I got my surgery date! I'll be having upper jaw surgery (3 piece LeFort I) on December 28th to correct an open bite. It will be done as a day surgery and if all goes well, I'll have surgery in the morning and come home in the afternoon.

After years of wondering, waiting, learning, worrying and obsessing, to say I am excited about this surgery would be an understatement. I have read countless blogs (thanks to everyone who shares their stories to help the rest of us know what to expect), watched surgeries on youtube (not recommended for anyone with a weak stomach), read case studies, you name it. I'm ready for the surgery and definitely ready to put this chapter of my life behind me.

maz39

#11 Post by maz39 »

[quote="BaliGirl"]Yippee, I got my surgery date! I'll be having upper jaw surgery (3 piece LeFort I) on December 28th to correct an open bite. It will be done as a day surgery and if all goes well, I'll have surgery in the morning and come home in the afternoon.

After years of wondering, waiting, learning, worrying and obsessing, to say I am excited about this surgery would be an understatement. I have read countless blogs (thanks to everyone who shares their stories to help the rest of us know what to expect), watched surgeries on youtube (not recommended for anyone with a weak stomach), read case studies, you name it. I'm ready for the surgery and definitely ready to put this chapter of my life behind me.[/quote]

i had no idea upper jaw surgery could be a day case! I am still in the obsessing and worrying stage, but I agree sooo grateful fopr all the blogs and supprt sites. Avoiding you tube though- there is no way I am brave enough to watch a video.

BaliGirl

#12 Post by BaliGirl »

Seems crazy to me that they can do something so invasive and send you home a few hours later....but I hate hospitals and I know I'll get better care at home.

My surgeon is very optimistic about recovery - said I should be back to work in a week. I'm not sure how realistic that is (I talk on the phone all day every day) so I'm planning to take 2 weeks off to be on the safe side with the option for more, if needed.

kefcorp

#13 Post by kefcorp »

Sounds like me, BaliGirl, except mine's only a one-piece Lefort. Seems to me the hospital stay is really only necessary for the big cases, like double-jaw surgery etc., because my surgeon is also doing it in his office and expects me to be able to go home later that day. I'm taking more time off though, since my job requires constant heavy lifting.

ckdramas

#14 Post by ckdramas »

Mercy wrote:About two years ago, after knowing for my whole life that something was wrong with me, I discovered this surgery. My journey for happiness began. Now, with my surgery being set for December 5th, 2011, the time for my healing is finally approaching.
My surgery date is also set for Dec 5, 2011! 11am EST if all goes as planned. I'm having my lower jaw pushed back to correct my underbite. My teeth started becoming loose about a year ago and that's when I started the whole procedure of braces and prepping for surgery. I'm now worried that the surgery won't even fix the loose teeth problem. I'm also getting so worried that I'll catch the cold or something and my surgery will have to be postponed. My church has a 3 day retreat 2 hours away from home that they all want me to join. It's 10 days after my surgery, I wonder if I'll be able to make it. It's mostly going to be indoors anyways and it sounds so fun but I don't know whether I want to let people see me in my swollen state...

Anyways, glad to have found surgery buddies =)

littleviolet

#15 Post by littleviolet »

I had an apointment with my surgeon today. Had some moulds for my splint & some photos taken. He also took measurments of my teeth, bite, lips etc. He said I have a 9mm overjet and a 5mm overbite. He also said I have a recessed chin and I might need a genioplasty! I wasn't quoted for that when I first went to see him... he said if I end up needing it he won't charge any extra as it only takes an extra half an hour :) He's going to discuss it with my orthodontist when they get together a week before my surgery to look at all my x-rays, moulds ect and they do a practice surgery on a mould to see how far they need to move my jaw.
He said i'll have the splint in for about a week after surgery to keep my jaw stable & re-train my jaws to meet in the new position. I'll also have elastics, very strong ones on the first night then he'll give me some looser ones so I can eat. He want's me to start eating soft food straight away, so no liquid diet for me! he won't let me leave hospital until I am eating well and drinking at least 2 litres of water a day! he said i'll probably be in hospital for 3 or 4 days! luckily it's a really nice hospital lol