December 2011 Surgery Buddies??

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

deepbeep

Re: December 2011 Surgery Buddies??

#16 Post by deepbeep »

[quote="Mercy"]About two years ago, after knowing for my whole life that something was wrong with me, I discovered this surgery. My journey for happiness began. Now, with my surgery being set for December 5th, 2011, the time for my healing is finally approaching.[/quote]

Story of my life lol. Having surgery on Dec. 5 too.

forgetit

#17 Post by forgetit »

Awesome that three of us have surgery on the same day! It will be cool to compare experiences day by day. Post on here daily if you will! I'll be posting a "my story" post very shortly, and I encourage you all to do the same. Let it all out :|

SLiM2590

#18 Post by SLiM2590 »

Tentatively scheduled for 12/19 & hoping it won't be pushed back.

awags

#19 Post by awags »

I have been a lurker for quite some time but figured it was time to chime in, now that my surgery date is set. I will be having upper and lower jaw surgery on December 16th! I am getting very nervous about it all. Today was my pre-surgical appointment - 5 hours long! They took photos, moulds, measurements, and went over all post-op procedures. I also got my fancy pants syringe to eat from during the days after surgery.

I'm trying to prepare now since it's just 3.5 weeks away! On Sunday I bought a Vita-Mix blender and I am already 100% positive that this simple (but pricey) blender is going to make the process of the liquid/no-chew diet SO much easier! I can cook soup in it, make ice cream, and it blends like you would not believe!

Anyhow.... looking forward to following everybody's progress! :)

awags

#20 Post by awags »

I have been a lurker for quite some time but figured it was time to chime in, now that my surgery date is set. I will be having upper and lower jaw surgery on December 16th! I am getting very nervous about it all. Today was my pre-surgical appointment - 5 hours long! They took photos, moulds, measurements, and went over all post-op procedures. I also got my fancy pants syringe to eat from during the days after surgery.

I'm trying to prepare now since it's just 3.5 weeks away! On Sunday I bought a Vita-Mix blender and I am already 100% positive that this simple (but pricey) blender is going to make the process of the liquid/no-chew diet SO much easier! I can cook soup in it, make ice cream, and it blends like you would not believe!

deepbeep

#21 Post by deepbeep »

forgetit wrote:Awesome that three of us have surgery on the same day! It will be cool to compare experiences day by day. Post on here daily if you will! I'll be posting a "my story" post very shortly, and I encourage you all to do the same. Let it all out :|
Is your on 5th too?

SLiM2590

#22 Post by SLiM2590 »

awags wrote:I have been a lurker for quite some time but figured it was time to chime in, now that my surgery date is set. I will be having upper and lower jaw surgery on December 16th! I am getting very nervous about it all. Today was my pre-surgical appointment - 5 hours long! They took photos, moulds, measurements, and went over all post-op procedures. I also got my fancy pants syringe to eat from during the days after surgery.

I'm right behind you. I had hoped to have mine done on the 16th but my surgeon only does these on Mondays. I can't believe its 3.5 weeks away, I didn't even bother to check to countdown. Life's busy enough. My final pre-op appointment won't be for another 2 weeks.

sm531

#23 Post by sm531 »

I can't believe it's only 19 days until my surgery!! I sent in my paperwork to my company (hopefully they got those faxes), but my next appt with the OS isn't until next Thursday!! I wanna start getting food and such to stock the freezer and cabinets, but not sure what all to get! Has anyone been told for a double jaw surgery if they prefer someone to stay AT the hospital during the whole procedure for whatever reason?? My bf was going to drop me off and make sure I get in and all, but then come to work and back to visit later that night since I'm scheduled for 7:15am....

I'm not 100% sure on all this, but I sorta have a list of things I'll be wanting to get food-wise (haven't seen many food lists):

apple/orange/grape juices
chicken/beef broths
chicken/beef boullion
chicken noodle soup (blender time)
tomato soup
cream of chicken/mushroom??
milk
yogurt
protein powder (to put in my shakes)
frozen fruits including: strawberries, blueberries, mangoes, pineapples, cherries, etc (anything bad about doing the berries with seeds?? I'm thinking fluids afterwards would flush them out....)
ginger ale?

I would love to ask my OS but it seems his office is closed seeing as it's the day after Thanksgiving lol....

Anyone got any suggestions on yay or nay for the food or more ideas??

ckdramas

#24 Post by ckdramas »

i got a cold! my pre-op is on the 29th and my surgery is on dec 5th. is my surgery gonna be delayed? m so scared that the cold will mess up the blood test and everything and i read somewhere that cold will affect anesthesia. this will be a total mess. i already got my time off approved and all that. if i don't do surgery on dec 5th, i'll have to wait until the summer because of my job...it's gonna be so terrible. i just wanna scream

keeponsmiling

#25 Post by keeponsmiling »

You sound really frustrated, but I think you'll be fine. By the 29th you'll be over the worst of it - then hibernate until the 5th! Dose yourself up with loads of vit C, drink masses and masses and wash your hands every time you pass a tap. Also it's a good idea to carry some of that antibacterial hand gel with you so you can keep your hands clean and help stop you catching anything else in the meantime. Good luck!

Marian

#26 Post by Marian »

Hi guys, I had my lower jaw surgery at the end of September. Food recommendations:

Baby food (you'll need to season it)
Mulagatawny soup (it's nice to have something so tasty)
Lemon fool (very refreshing)
creme caramel (just slips down)

When you want something with a bit more substance sloppy tuna mayo tastes like heaven. Also jacket potato with an overdose of butter.

Also recommend wine (but don't tell your surgeon I said that).

And can I just say that it will all go much easier that you think. My main problem was not being able to open my teeth very wide, so you have to eat flat spoonfuls of food (this is where baby spoons come in useful). Eat little amounts regularly and you will be absolutely fine.

Marian

xx

awags

#27 Post by awags »

I just started taking vitamins to help boost my imune system - don't want to end up sick before surgery either!

So Tuesday I have to go do an autologous blood donation (donate blood for myself) - does anybody else have to do this? I asked the surgeon why and he said he requires it for those having upper and lower jaw surgery. I pass out during routine blood tests so I am super nervous to donate a substantial amount of blood.

Wish me luck!

kefcorp

#28 Post by kefcorp »

Yeah, it's a safety precaution; double jaw surgery is pretty traumatic, so they need it just in case. For those getting only one jaw done, it isn't quite as necessary, especially if you're young and healthy, according to my OS. There's just not as much bleeding in those cases.

littleviolet

#29 Post by littleviolet »

Can't believe it's December already, the year has gone so fast. Good luck everyone. 1 week left for me!

kefcorp

#30 Post by kefcorp »

Mine was yesterday morning. Things went great! I'm sort of high on painkillers atm but feel free to follow my blog once I'm sober enough to update it!