unable to close lips without strain

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kalli86

unable to close lips without strain

#1 Post by kalli86 »

I had upper jaw surgery about 5 weeks ago, where my upper jaw was advanced forward.
Previously, I was unable to close my lips without consciously thinking about it, and my doctor said that, in addition to other stuff, that would be fixed with the surgery.
Now 5 weeks later, the swelling is gone and I still can't close my lips without thinking about it. I asked my doctor and he said that I should massage my face to try to break up the scar tissue at the incision points and that this would probably lower up upper lip. But I'm not so sure.
Has anyone had this problem or advice? I would really like to be able to close my mouth :(

Thanks!!!

ReoSity

Re: unable to close lips without strain

#2 Post by ReoSity »

Hmm massage your face to try and break up scar tissue.. that doesn't sound right. Generally the upper jaw needs to be impacted (shortened) to reduce lip incompetence. What were the other issues and were they corrected?

Posting a picture would help as well.

kalli86

#3 Post by kalli86 »

It doesn't sound right does it!
They were correcting an under bite and my long face, so he just moved my upper jaw out. I think he should have impacted it more though.
I'll try to get a picture soon.

surusuru

#4 Post by surusuru »

If you're still swollen maybe you might wait more time to see final results, I guess. Anything, post a pic to ilustrate us about real situation. Best of luck.

awags

#5 Post by awags »

I have the SAME problem right now. I had a terrible lip incompetence prior to surgery. I am 4 weeks post-op and my lips still don't meet. My surgeon has said it is due to scar tissue and told me to put some warm heat on it, massage it, and gently tug on my lips. He's been doing these surgeries for probably almost 40 years (he's on the verge of retirement) so I have no reason to doubt what he is saying is true.

I just saw him today and asked "will my lips ever touch?!" and he said it can take up to a full year to see what will happen with the lips and he won't do anything about it until then.

kalli86

#6 Post by kalli86 »

Bummer. But good to know.

Thanks!

ichigoooo

#7 Post by ichigoooo »

Hi did you guys have this problem solved at this point since the posts were from a few years back? I'm having this issue :(