doubts pre surgery...

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

doubts pre surgery...

#1 Post by 159061 »

Im starting to get very closed to the surgery so im starting to doubt...but not the surgery itself but rather the TYPE of surgery.

Im not sure if 5 mm of impaction + genio ALONE will be enough to balance out my face ( i believe my main issue is a retrognathic mandible, my surgeon says it will autorotate forward as a result of impaction, but will it be enough????

Im startin to doubt the whole thing. Consider my occlusion is good and i have all teeth except the wisdom ones that will get extracted. Is an occlusion with all teeth except the wisdom ones good as a final result? or should i opt for a surgery plan that will maintain even the wisdom teeth???

please answer ...thankyyou!!!

sirwired

Re: doubts pre surgery...

#2 Post by sirwired »

When you say your occlusion is "good" is that something your ortho told you, or is that your evaluation based on the fact that all your teeth meet?

I ask because I thought my occlusion was good too, until my "good" occlusion caused my gums to recede due to all sorts of crazy root angles.

I'm not saying every ortho or oral surgeon will unfailingly come up with the best plan, but you are better off trusting them rather than asking us random internet strangers to evaluate your treatment plan in detail.

I will say that wisdom tooth extraction is extremely common and most people that get them extracted don't seem to miss them too much. Their position at the rear of the arch means their removal doesn't impact the face too much, and doesn't cause issues with other teeth going crazy filling in the gap (like they would for a random tooth being pulled for decay without the benefit of braces.)

#3 Post by 159061 »

when i say my occlusion is good is both my ortho both my opinion.

thankyou for your anwer. it did reassure me.

has anyone on the forum had my same surgery (maxillary impaction and genioplasty)??

sarpevictim

#4 Post by sarpevictim »

If you are unsure, get a second opinion.

I have seen 3-4 oral surgeons, including an "expert" outside of my insurance coverage to make sure I'm aware of all the possible options and suggestions. That way when I saw the oral surgeon that I was probably going to work with, I was already aware of what my "problems" are and the various ways those problems can be addressed. I also made sure to express my concerns with my oral surgeon.

Some oral surgeons like to do as little as possible, but imo, if I'm getting cut, I'd rather have as much done as possible so that I never have to have surgery again. I expressed this to my oral surgeon so that she was more comfortable with suggesting a more intense work up.