February 2012 Surgery Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lattiee

Re: February 2012 Surgery Buddies

#91 Post by lattiee »

hopefully you will be able to do that and when is your next appt ?

I wonder how the rest are doing like shouldn't Ashleigh be near 4 wks post op since she had her surgery Feb 2 and I was 4 days after her which I'm doing alot better than I had been and my numbness in still working it's way out which makes me itch like crazy

emdanut

#92 Post by emdanut »

As of Sunday night I'm completely rash free, thank goodness!
i am getting really sick of soft foods though. I keep having dreams about eating crunchy fried food!
I'm also getting really tired of my chin being numb haha. Most of the rest of the feeling in my jaw has come back except for the left side of my chin and part of the jaw on that side.

lattiee

#93 Post by lattiee »

Yay for being rash free and hope your numbness subsides soon

AWSeibert

#94 Post by AWSeibert »

Hey everyone!! Sorry I have been MIA the past few weeks! Tomorrow I hit 5 weeks post op. Things have been going pretty good for me. Last week at my 4 week post op appointment my surgeon said that everything looked so great that they didn't need to see me this week. So my next appointment is on Tuesday March 13, 2012. At this appointment I will be 6 weeks post op and I will finally be getting the splint removed!! SO EXCITED!! I also have an appointment that afternoon after I get the splint removed to see my orthodontist and get everything moving there. I can't believe that 5 weeks ago today, I was in the operating room at this very minute! I can't wait to see how my teeth look without the splint in! I will have to wear braces for an estimated 6 months. I am sure it will fly by!

I am still on soft foods, but really craving crunchy stuff. Unfortunately who knows when I will be able to eat stuff like that :(
I hope you are all doing well in your recovery!

Ashleigh

lattiee

#95 Post by lattiee »

Ashleigh wow 8 days until you get your splint removed it is quite amazing how things go so quick. I hope you can be able to eat well without the splint and get some crunchy food soon afterwards. Are you going to put a picture on your blog after you get your splint out ?

emdanut

#96 Post by emdanut »

AWSeibert wrote:Hey everyone!! Sorry I have been MIA the past few weeks! Tomorrow I hit 5 weeks post op. Things have been going pretty good for me. Last week at my 4 week post op appointment my surgeon said that everything looked so great that they didn't need to see me this week. So my next appointment is on Tuesday March 13, 2012. At this appointment I will be 6 weeks post op and I will finally be getting the splint removed!! SO EXCITED!! I also have an appointment that afternoon after I get the splint removed to see my orthodontist and get everything moving there. I can't believe that 5 weeks ago today, I was in the operating room at this very minute! I can't wait to see how my teeth look without the splint in! I will have to wear braces for an estimated 6 months. I am sure it will fly by!

I am still on soft foods, but really craving crunchy stuff. Unfortunately who knows when I will be able to eat stuff like that :(
I hope you are all doing well in your recovery!

Ashleigh

I totally know what you mean about craving crunchy stuff! I really would love to eat some fried chicken right now but we all know that's not gonna happen for a while!

catsteeth

#97 Post by catsteeth »

Mmm crunchy fried food. Actually, any food that isn't liquid would be nice. Hopefully I get my splint out on Friday and I can graduate to soft foods.

Glad to hear nobody has any complications at this point.

I've been avoiding my family. They all have colds. I think it would be very scary if I got one. The splint really blocks the air coming in through my mouth.

I'm supposed to be back at work tomorrow. I sure have enjoyed the rest these past couple of weeks.
Catherine

justonejaw.blogspot.com

lattiee

#98 Post by lattiee »

Cat -hope work is going great for you.

worldpeace

#99 Post by worldpeace »

Hey everyone, its been awhile since last updated this thread. Revovery is moving along well. Still have some numbness and swelling although not as noticeable as before and i can sorta close my lips together with less straining than before surgery. I had the splint removed last week and got the green light to start chewing again so that was the big relief/milestone! I have been gradually eating more solid foods which has help me since i had lost over 10 pounds from the surgery. I returned to work last week as well. The doctor was generous to allow me almost a full 6 weeks off. I feel a bit better energy wise since i can eat now so no complaints but i can say the time off work was nice. I will probably start the gym next week but nothing too crazy. How are you all doing? I imagine everyone is back to regular type of life which i don't blame since we've been doing nothing but recovering. Hope everything is good!

gothpenguin

#100 Post by gothpenguin »

Emdanut, I had my surgery back in September and developed a full body rash a few days post-op. My ortho thought it was probably a reaction to the antibiotic but my GP said they couldn't test to see exactly what I was allergic to. I found this disturbing as my surgeon said that the allergy could be serious if I was exposed to it again. Did you follow up with it at all?

Jeff
emdanut wrote:I had my first post-op today
The surgeon said everything is healing like it should. He put me in rubberbands in the front to guide my bite, but fortunately they're simple to put in.
Unfortunately i seem to have developed a rash from one of my medications (probably the antibiotic) so the doctor took me off that and told me to take benedryl. The rash is definitely not fun at all as its very itchy.

emdanut

#101 Post by emdanut »

gothpenguin wrote:Emdanut, I had my surgery back in September and developed a full body rash a few days post-op. My ortho thought it was probably a reaction to the antibiotic but my GP said they couldn't test to see exactly what I was allergic to. I found this disturbing as my surgeon said that the allergy could be serious if I was exposed to it again. Did you follow up with it at all?

Jeff
emdanut wrote:I had my first post-op today
The surgeon said everything is healing like it should. He put me in rubberbands in the front to guide my bite, but fortunately they're simple to put in.
Unfortunately i seem to have developed a rash from one of my medications (probably the antibiotic) so the doctor took me off that and told me to take benedryl. The rash is definitely not fun at all as its very itchy.
They are 99% sure it was the antibiotic. There's a small chance that it was the celebrex (because there is sulfa in celebrex) but I've had medications with sulfa in them before so I don't think that was it.