Upper Jaw surgery only - numbness

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

PrincessLea

Upper Jaw surgery only - numbness

#1 Post by PrincessLea »

I'm getting my surgery on thursday and the surgeon seemed to not discuss the recovery. I've read up a lot on Bi max but now it looks like I'll probably only be having a lefort 1 posterior impaction.

Just wondering do you have numbness after like with lower surgery? She said i'd only be on paracetamol and ibuprofen so I'm hoping I'm pretty numb to mask the pain!

PrincessLea

Re: Upper Jaw surgery only - numbness

#2 Post by PrincessLea »

no one any info to share on this?

Rivvie

#3 Post by Rivvie »

I did not have a lefort 1 yet, but have had SARPE surgery. The cuts are made in similar places, so I guess that you can compare it a little. I did not have any numbness on my face, however my nostrils and tip of my nose were numb for a week or two. This is back to normal now.
In addition, the gums of my top jaw are completely numb. It feels a bit like plastic, pretty weird. I have been told that this can return over the next few months, so I'll see. Luckily it doesn't bother me a lot, but I still hope I will get the feeling back.

I too was on paracetamol and ibuprofen only, which was tough for the first 2-3 days. I do not know if the pain was caused by the swelling, the surgery itself, or if it was because of the pressure of the SARPE appliance. It did get better after three days though, so keep that in mind if you have any pain.

Good luck with your surgery!

SLiM2590

#4 Post by SLiM2590 »

I had a Lefort only. I'm 10 weeks post-op and still have some numbness. My entire upper lip was numb for several weeks. The feeling returned slowly in stages. Immediately after surgery my entire face, aside from my lower jaw, was numb but it wore off 1-2 weeks post-op.

PrincessLea

#5 Post by PrincessLea »

Thanks for your reply!!

Rivvie - the lack of numbness does concern me, hopefully it will be different for the type I'm having! thank you very much! glad to hear you're on the mend!

SLim - thanks for your reply! It made me feel better definitely. I know the numbness is going to become annoying but its like a comfort blanket knowing some of the pain will be masked!! I'll have to keep you updated on my progress. Leaving for the hospital in about an hour :/

crislopes

#6 Post by crislopes »

I had lefort1 4years ago, still can't feel the gums completely, I just got used to it. Its NOTHING compared to the numbness I have on my chin and lips from my lower jaw surgery, you will be ok!

PrincessLea

#7 Post by PrincessLea »

well I actually wanted the numbness! Was scared of being in pain!

I had my op last thursday and safe to say I am numb!

crislopes

#8 Post by crislopes »

The pain is temporary, numbness is likely to be forever. I have numbness on my chin, lips, part of my jaw line, gums, its horrible...every time I move my mouth Im reminded of it, for 4 long years. I try not to think of it too much, definitely something I could have never wished for.

Rivvie

#9 Post by Rivvie »

crislopes, your story scares me a little. I will be having a lefort 1+BSSO in the future and I am definately afraid that I will have permanent numbness in my chin and lips as a result of those surgeries. They say that in most cases feeling will return, or at least that only a small area will remain numb. Your case does sound a bit extreme though, I am sorry to hear that you still have so many numb areas after all that time.

PrincessLea

#10 Post by PrincessLea »

crislopes - I'm sorry for what you have gone through! I didn't have lower jaw surgery though and was told there wasn't really a risk of permanent numbness for it! I just wanted to make sure I'd be numb for a couple of weeks to get through the pain!

I had my bottom wisdom teeth removed last May ahead of this op and i have permanent numbness from that. I can imagine it being difficult in the lips :( I have it on my chin and to be honest it doesn't make any difference to me!