Banded shut - how do you clean your mouth?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

keeponsmiling

Banded shut - how do you clean your mouth?

#1 Post by keeponsmiling »

Ok, apologies in advance if this all gets a bit gross...

I had double jaw surgery 11 days ago and am banded tight shut with a splint for at least another 10 days. I am rinsing my mouth repeatedly after every 'meal', dribbling/spitting the water out so I can see when it's coming out clear. I'm poking in and around my teeth as best I can with a TeePee brush as well as brushing the bits I can reach with a baby toothbrush. Then I gargle/rinse with medicated mouthwash for about 30 seconds. Yet still I can feel bits of food trapped in the very back corners of my mouth. The surgeon even commented at my check-up a couple of days ago that I had food trapped in my mouth. What on earth more can I do to get rid of it? Is it just one of those inevitable things? Will the trapped food cause any kind of infection, or just give me really bad breath?

That splint is going to be truly revolting when they take it out - really don't envy the ortho! Any other suggestions would be great thank you.

IrishRed81

Re: Banded shut - how do you clean your mouth?

#2 Post by IrishRed81 »

Hi, I don't know about how to do this if you mouth is banded shut. But a few weeks ago I have Minor Oral Surgery in comparison, I had three root tips removed and 2 exposures. The best thing I found to clean my mouth out with was a plastic bent tip syringe, my oral surgeon actually gave it to me after my procedure. I actually filled mine with warm water and sometime a little salt water. It worked wonders for me. I just saw him on Wednesday and he said I was healing great, and everything looked good. I know how much of a pain it is when you just want to brush and can't. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

PrincessLea

#3 Post by PrincessLea »

I didn't have a splint so I can't relate to that but am banded tight shut. I can take my bands off now to clean but for the first week i couldn't. ( I had 14 bands on it total!!! wow) anyway..... i didn't do much different than what you were doing and my ortho seemed really happy pointing out how clean I were keeping me teeth. I pointed out a big white bit on my gums I'd been trying to get but kept making them bleed so I left it and he said yeah that's food.... ahhhhh I was so embarassed I thought it was part of a stitch! He didn't seemed phased and still said they were really clean!

I'd just ask next time you see them if that's normal and what else you can do. Maybe they are pointing it out but it is normal and expected! :)

lattiee

#4 Post by lattiee »

Are you rinsing with a water pick system ?

sirwired

#5 Post by sirwired »

I'm assuming you've been given Chlorhexidine Gluconate (a.k.a. Peridex) rinse. Keeping trapped food from causing cavities and other problems after oral surgery is one of its primary uses. As long as you are using your Peridex on schedule, you should be fine.

Bullfighter

#6 Post by Bullfighter »

sirwired wrote:I'm assuming you've been given Chlorhexidine Gluconate (a.k.a. Peridex) rinse. Keeping trapped food from causing cavities and other problems after oral surgery is one of its primary uses. As long as you are using your Peridex on schedule, you should be fine.
Agree, but my bigger question is what you're eating that's getting stuck??!! :shock:

I was on a liquid diet during the recovery time when my mouth was banded shut. I just used the Peridex rinse initially, then a baby toothbrush where possible. Mostly juice and Ensure-based shakes...

The main purpose of the Peridex, as I understand it, is to keep the sutures clean and prevent infection, not to knock chunks of food out of your teeth.

I used a Water Pik after the first few weeks.

freakyteeth

#7 Post by freakyteeth »

water pik on low in the notches of the splint. Water and debris flush out the back end.
Braces 1986 & Sept 2007 (age 34)
severe class II impinging overbite
17 missing teeth (genetically)- AXIN 2 genetic mutation
Jan 2010 - genioplasty w/mandibular bone graft (from chin bone)
Jul 2010 - 4 mandibular implants. FAILED
Oct 2010 - re-placement of 3 implants, hardware removal
03/29/2011 - BSSO and 3 piece Lefort I
Sept 2012 - Upper jaw - 4 implants w/bone graft.
Jan 2016 - upper hardware removal, extensive upper bone graft

keeponsmiling

#8 Post by keeponsmiling »

Thanks for all your replies. I don't think Waterpiks are very common here in the UK - I've never seen one or heard of anyone using one - and nor do we have Zip n Squeeze, so it's just a case of syringing EVERYTHING. We do get chlorhexidine mouthwash here though, so I've been using that, but now most of the stitches are out I may just start on a normal mouthwash before all my teeth go brown.

The biggest problem is that no matter how much I blend and sieve soups, smoothies etc, there's always a few tiny little bits that come out when I rinse my mouth, which makes me wonder how many other little bits aren't getting washed out - yuck! Fortunately, one especially 'big' piece that I was convinced was lodged in the back of my mouth turned out to be a stitch. I am just keeping everything crossed that my surgeon doesn't decide on Tuesday that I need to stay fully banded...

midnight

#9 Post by midnight »

keeponsmiling wrote:Thanks for all your replies. I don't think Waterpiks are very common here in the UK - I've never seen one or heard of anyone using one - and nor do we have Zip n Squeeze, so it's just a case of syringing EVERYTHING. We do get chlorhexidine mouthwash here though, so I've been using that, but now most of the stitches are out I may just start on a normal mouthwash before all my teeth go brown.

The biggest problem is that no matter how much I blend and sieve soups, smoothies etc, there's always a few tiny little bits that come out when I rinse my mouth, which makes me wonder how many other little bits aren't getting washed out - yuck! Fortunately, one especially 'big' piece that I was convinced was lodged in the back of my mouth turned out to be a stitch. I am just keeping everything crossed that my surgeon doesn't decide on Tuesday that I need to stay fully banded...
They sell water piks in Boots (possibly only the bigger branches but you can always order online for in-store delivery) or alternatively you can get them from Amazon :)

keeponsmiling

#10 Post by keeponsmiling »

I would never have thought of trying Amazon! Turns out Waterpiks aren't recommended for the first four weeks post surgery though, which I just passed, and my splint comes off in a fortnight (wah hey!!), so I don't think I'll bother now, but thanks for the advice. In any case, my surgeon seems to think I've done a good job of keeping my mouth clean - he just said I should see the hygienist once the splint is off to remove the stains from the mouthwash. I still dread to think what's lurking in there though!