Genioplasty consult tomorrow-advice??

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Hollywood Todd

Re: Genioplasty consult tomorrow-advice??

#16 Post by Hollywood Todd »

I'm looking for a good sliding genioplasty doc in Los Angeles, let me know if you come across any. Thanks!

soccerprincess9202

Re:

#17 Post by soccerprincess9202 »

[quote="anna1222"]I thought of my chin situation in a similar way - as a deformity. As a child I should of probably had my jaw broken but I didn't. As an adult I'm not happy with how I look. I feel like doing a genioplasty would mask the problem that should of been fixed a long time ago, with the same result. I felt that this was different than getting a breast augmentation, etc. "It's not like I'm getting a boob job" is what I said. After a conversation I had with a family member I came to realize that's not really that much different than a "boob job" because someone could genuinely be extremely unhappy with their small breasts and feel insecure to the point where they feel they need to do something about it. I don't think there is anything wrong with changing a part of your body that you're not happy with. Why spend the rest of your life feeling badly about yourself and insecure? I'm doing something about my chin now so I don't have to feel that way any longer. Some people may call it vain but deep down we all care about what we look like.

I went to oral surgeons and plastic surgeons before I made my decision. I decided on a plastic surgeon in Toronto who does only face procedures. I did a lot of research on him and have 100% confidence in his abilities. I haven't heard about fuller cheeks creating space and therefore causing faster aging before. My doctor said that a stronger chin would actually help with the aging process. People who have stronger features usually have less sagging. I do worry about permanent numbness but like I said I'm very confident in my surgeon, that makes all the difference. He's only had one patient who had some permanent numbness and that patient was getting a lot of surgeries all at once, that included the breaking of many different bones in his face. The fact that he was so honest to me about that makes me trust him more. I'm not as worried about the anesthesia because I was put under when I had my wisdom teeth taken out and was fine, but I do worry about it a little. My doctor didn't give me an image prediction.

I've been thinking about this surgery for over a year now. I've been weighing the pros and cons and I feel the pros far outweigh the cons. Doing a lot of research on the procedure has also helped me get over my fears. I really can't explain why I'm not more scared... it's something I just really want and I think it will change my life.[/quote]

Hey, I wanted to know which surgeon you used? Was it doctor Antonyshyn? b/c I'm considering him and I wanted to know about your experience.

Hollywood Todd

#18 Post by Hollywood Todd »

And I'm still looking for a good sliding genio doc in LA! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Heavyweight

#19 Post by Heavyweight »

If you are willing to go to Santa Barabara, you can consult with Arnett and Gunson, who are supposed to be the best in the world. Of course, they'll probably recommend jaw surgery, since they tend to be aggressive.

CaliforniaKid

#20 Post by CaliforniaKid »

Heavyweight wrote:. Of course, they'll probably recommend jaw surgery, since they tend to be aggressive.
have to disagree. more than half of their surgeries - so im told - are re-dos from hack jobs by other surgeons.

arnett/gunson have no need to be aggressive. they're already...what? top 10 jaw surgeons in the nation? they are very meticulous and won't recommend surgery if you dont need it.

what i liked a lot about arnett, is that all they do is jaw surgeries. exclusively. the only turn off is the price. maybe ill have a different view after my surgery. but out of the half dozen surgeries i met with, arnett/gunson were leagues ahead of the previous consults.

Hollywood Todd

#21 Post by Hollywood Todd »

Heavyweight wrote:If you are willing to go to Santa Barabara, you can consult with Arnett and Gunson, who are supposed to be the best in the world. Of course, they'll probably recommend jaw surgery, since they tend to be aggressive.

Yikes, I don't need/want jaw surgery. Do they do genioplasties as well?