October 2012 Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

trossi

October 2012 Buddies

#1 Post by trossi »

Hey guys,
I haven't been posting on here too much but I wanted to start a topic for october surgeries.
My surgery is booked for October 5th, and although it's over 2 months away I know the time will go by fast. I'd also like to get an idea of how far ahead other people are having pre surgery stuff done for their surgery in October.

I am having double jaw surgery and genioplasty for a class III malocclusion and an anterior open bite. It's been over a decade in the making. I've been in this set of braces since April 2011 and I was postponed from having surgery this past April due to some issues with my bite and jaws. Right now everything is going well and my bite is getting to be in a much better position.
I am very nervous but I'm also excited. Being 25 with braces isn't fun, but I feel like this surgery will really help improve my quality of life.

Anyone else scheduled for October?

znewton

Re: October 2012 Buddies

#2 Post by znewton »

I'm scheduled for October 4th with Dr. Arnett in Santa Barbara, CA! I can relate in that yes I'm still a good two months away but I feel like surgery day is going to be here before I know it. In a month or so I will start compiling all the post-op items that I'll need. Let's definitely keep in touch and help each other through this.

beetle

#3 Post by beetle »

Hey guys! I know one of you already (znewton! You know me from the FB group). I'm having double jaw surgery (3-piece le fort and BSSO) plus genio with Dr Arnett in Santa Barbara on Oct 10th. Let's stay in touch for sure! Maybe we can connect directly via IM or email closer to surgery date?

Trossi - where are you having surgery and who's your surgeon?
I'm really excited to have surgery buddies!

CaliforniaKid

#4 Post by CaliforniaKid »

congrats beetle and newton with your scheduled surgeries.

trossi

#5 Post by trossi »

I'm up in Canada.
I'll be having my surgery with Dr Caminiti.
I'm so excited to finally have a surgery date coming up. I have all my pre surgical stuff starting next week.

sarasea

#6 Post by sarasea »

My date is October 24th. I'll be having double jaw surgery for an open bite. I've only had braces since November 2011. I'm excited but mostly anxious!

HelenUK

#7 Post by HelenUK »

Hi, I was booked in for sept 4th but was rearranged, now booked in for october 2nd so I can be an october buddy too!

trossi

#8 Post by trossi »

Yayy October buddies.
I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow for my pre surgical and my dentist on tuesday. Next week I get my surgical hooks.
I'm starting to get nervous thinking about it.
What have you guys bought in preparation for the surgery?
I started buying things and I think I'll do a blog post with a list.
So excited for all of us!

beetle

#9 Post by beetle »

Yeah a list would be great. Also have you joined the facebook group (we need/got jaw surgery)? If you don't mind people knowing your name, it's so easy to chat on there and we can IM and email each other if you wanted that option...
what kind of blender did you get? I'm trying to choose....

Nathaniel

#10 Post by Nathaniel »

Wooo congrats everyone! Trossi I can't believe yours is almost here too! LOL it literally seems like yesterday when we were chatting about it a year and a bit ago, when we were thinking you'd be first and I'd be second!

Best of luck to all yous! Everything will be great and you'll all be SO HAPPY you did it! I had mine 23 days ago and am really happy with the way things are going so far! :)
Braces to come on: May 4th, 2011
My Blog: http://thejawjourney.blogspot.com/

HelenUK

#11 Post by HelenUK »

I'm still waiting for some paperwork from the hospital to see what arrangements/appointments i'll need before surgery. I already have surgical hooks and my splint has been made and fits (or will fit after they widen my upper jaw!)

I haven't bought anything yet, but I have made and frozen lots of soup, and i've been eating everything in sight in preparation for starving afterwards!

I am on the facebook group, it's really helping already. Who are you beetle?

good luck to us all!

trossi

#12 Post by trossi »

Beetle: that answers my question as to what surgery you are having. lol I wonder how many of us are on the facebook group and are posting on this topic and don't even know it lol.
Nathaniel had his surgery at the same surgeon I'll be seeing. Nathaniel I'm still waiting for post surgery pictures!!! I need to see what Dr C is capable of lol Oh I also wanted to ask you about the rooms and if they allow you to pay for a private room. I'll probably send you a message with some other things I've been thinking about.
I need to clean out my freezer because soup is starting to sound like a really good idea for having food made in advanced.
I'll make a blog post of the stuff I bought so far and I'll put the link up here.
Also, did any of you hear whether or not we are allowed to fly after surgery.

beetle

#13 Post by beetle »

Hey lady! Well my surgeon said they clear out of town patients to fly after about a month. However it can be very uncomfortable as you can't clear
Your ears or blow your nose. I asked if I can fly home
from LA to London two months post surgery and they said I would be fine. Hope that's helpful.

speechie

#14 Post by speechie »

After my "episode" on July 30, I am officially re-booked for surgery on October 1. I had to be cleared by a neurologist before I could have surgery because the nurse in pre-op thought I had a seizure when they inserted my IV. It took 2 visits, a CT, EEG, and script for Ativan, but I'm finally ready to go!

HelenUK

#15 Post by HelenUK »

hi guys,

my surgery has been delayed again, now booked in for 24th october. 4 weeks to go!