Would love to hear TMJ success stories!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

navasharai

Would love to hear TMJ success stories!

#1 Post by navasharai »

Hey guys! I'm new here. I've been suffering from TMJ issues for around 6 years now. Currently, I'm 20 and in college. I also have an asymmetrical jaw and only a few of my teeth touch, but I don't have too much trouble chewing as long as my TMJ isn't too bad that day. The past week my TMJ has gotten a lot worse and my jaw just never feels like it knows where to rest. I've been very depressed and stressed about it all. I have met with several surgeons and am going for another consultation with orthodontists who specialize in cases like mine (who would also work with my surgeon for the orthognathic process). Appearance-wise, I look pretty normal and my bite doesn't look that bad (relatively minor crossbite of about 4mm), but the pain and discomfort is what really bothers me. Lately it feels like a lot of muscular tension/pressure, but I also have been fighting a sinus infection for a few weeks...

I have been told that an IVRO surgery would be best for me, but splint therapy may work as well. I'm praying that all of this gets better, but I'd love to hear success stories from you guys about TMJ pain improving after surgery (particularly IVRO). I know the odds of it alleviating TMJ symptoms 100% are low, but any improvement would be such a huge relief to me. Please only good stories right now.. I need to boost my spirits about all of this!

Ashley

denSMSgt

Re: Would love to hear TMJ success stories!

#2 Post by denSMSgt »

My wife did the splint route for about 8 months or so, and it helped, but not enough and we both found it annying in our own way. To fix stuff right, she went with braces and says she wish she'd have gone with her fixed metal braces from moment one, as she'd be further along by now all the cost would have gone toward the proper fix.

Sadly we can't really speak to the surgical route, as thankfully neither of us had to go that way.

Whatever you decide, we recommend you do it early before more damage is done like us folks in 40s+.

Hope all is well eventually for sure!!! :tingrin:

navasharai

#3 Post by navasharai »

Thank you for the response!

My surgeon recommended me meeting with an orthodontist to see if braces may be able to adjust my bite enough to alleviate (hopefully) most of the pain. I got my braces off by age 13 and it was after this that my jaw deviated to the left. I meet with the orthodontists Saturday as they've been reviewing all of my scans. I feel comfortable with my surgeon and the orthodontists I'm currently working with, so I am interested (and also very nervous) to hear what they have to say Saturday! It's reassuring knowing that they have worked on cases similar to mine, though.

My bite being off may be what's causing my TMJ issues since my muscles can almost never relax as my lower jaw just doesn't know where it wants to bite down. I can deal with one side of my jaw being a little longer than the other if I can get rid of the pain. I know it's a long process, I just want relief now. :)

Marisama

#4 Post by Marisama »

I have very similar issues with my joints and bite. I'm having surgery in just over a month so I will be able to give you some perspective in the near future. A link to my blog is below. Jaw pain is the worst and I wish you the best.

navasharai

#5 Post by navasharai »

Marisama, I read through your blog and your issues do seem very similar to mine. Especially the feeling of a 'dangling' right joint. It just kind of feels like it's slightly disconnected, even though its fairly functional despite the pain. The past few days I've had almost constant muscle spasms running from my eye to my neck.. Pretty sure my anxiety problems make it worse though.

Please keep me updated! Are you getting an IVRO? Best of luck!!

Marisama

#6 Post by Marisama »

No IVRO. I'm having upper 3 piece to correct the cant and transverse discrepancies and lower BSSO. I've only heard bad things about IVRO and TMJ.

Heavyweight

#7 Post by Heavyweight »

Correcting the bite should help a lot. Basically, when the bite is off in any way, the muscles get strained a lot and become very tense, which is the cause of TMJ problems in many cases.

navasharai

#8 Post by navasharai »

I guess it's best to trust our doctors. I have anxiety issues, so I'm 100x more tense than I need to be! I need to keep reminding myself that I am dealing with some fantastic doctors that have a lot of experience in this field.

I had my orthodontist appointment today. They do want to try splint therapy with me in an effort to try and stabilize my joints. If they can (they said it will likely be a year long process), I could get braces to maintain that bite, but that surgery may be needed in order for that to happen. I'm so on edge about everything so I'm going for a massage today to try and relax. :) I know my neck issues and constant worrying are only making things worse.. I just need to remind myself to stay calm and not overreact.

Thanks for the responses, guys!

navasharai

#9 Post by navasharai »

Well, I go for my molds and photos in a couple of hours for splint therapy today! I'm nervous but at the same time happy that I'm finally taking the initiative to try and alleviate my problems... especially after almost daily panic attacks lol. It's going to be a long journey, but this is the first step. :D

oimysizex

#10 Post by oimysizex »

Hey navasharai, my case is similar to yours, i have a pretty bad cross bite and im getting surgery to correct my bite because, like yous, its caused me TMJ, the pain is also the worst for me, and the cracking and popping sensations!!

My ortho told me theres every chance it will get better as my bite has been corrected however, theres always a chance it could get worse!

Sorry I've not been of much help I just wanted to share my experience with you, as it sounded pretty similar :)

good luck

Been in braces foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

ticktickatick

#11 Post by ticktickatick »

[quote="Marisama"]No IVRO. I'm having upper 3 piece to correct the cant and transverse discrepancies and lower BSSO. I've only heard bad things about IVRO and TMJ.[/quote]

What is the negative relationship between IVRO and TMJ?