Can't decide between BSSO, distraction osteogenesis and slid

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

prairiehouse

Can't decide between BSSO, distraction osteogenesis and slid

#1 Post by prairiehouse »

Hi,

I have a short face and a double chin despite a low body fat percentage (13-15% at the moment), and it seems that it is due to the shape of my face. I'd like to get surgery to fix my double chin, and these seem to be the best options to do so. I'm only 23 so I anticipate the problem only getting worse.

What is the cost of a non insured lower jaw BSSO? What about non insured distraction surgery for my lower jaw?

Despite my bite being decent, my lower jaw looks like it could use a few milometers of forward advancement. I wonder if I'd be covered by insurance (I doubt it). I can eat, but I have TMJ, jaw pain and maybe a slight class 2. I have a good chin so it doesn't look as bad from the profile as I think it might be.

I'll get some pictures up in a couple of hours. I'm concerned that a sliding geno (mainly vertical advancement) would look weird because my chin is already normal. Does anyone know how much vertical (downward) advancement you can get with a sliding geno?

Thank you for reading my post.

prairiehouse

Re: Can't decide between BSSO, distraction osteogenesis and

#2 Post by prairiehouse »

edit: delete.

RMF7825

#3 Post by RMF7825 »

if you can post pics, would be glad to give you input.

ticktickatick

#4 Post by ticktickatick »

From what I've seen, lower jaw surgery fees range $5,000-$15,000 uninsured.

What you have to worry about even more when you're uninsured (or if your insurance doesn't cover it) is the hospital facility fee. One surgeon I went to charged $5,000 for lower jaw only. However, the hospital facility fee without staying overnight was $18,000. If I had to stay overnight, the facility fee would be $30,000.

You will need to find doctors who have their own surgical suite (they bring in a contracted anesthesiologist) to avoid this fee.