Double Jaw Surgery-- Not Sure if I want to Do It.

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LyraM45

Double Jaw Surgery-- Not Sure if I want to Do It.

#1 Post by LyraM45 »

Hello, all! I just returned from my second orthodontist consult yesterday, and between the two orthodontists and multiple general dentists I've seen all my life, I've always been told that I was a case to have my jaw reset with surgery. Now, through the orthodontists, I'm just getting the measurements and realizing how far off I am with everything. The gentleman yesterday took a LOT of measurements, and I do not remember everything he was shouting off for the assistant to copy down, but I know I have an 8mm overjet, no crossbite, I think I remember him saying Class II, with a little bit of an open bite. I also have a lot of gum and bone on my top jaw, which has overgrown my bottom. And I also have very narrow arches and a lot of crowding.

After my first ortho consult a few months ago, I thought long and hard about the surgery for about 4 or 5 weeks, and decided to go the non surgical option and get braces put on with the intent of just making my teeth straighter and if they could fix any of my bite, then that would be a bonus. I know there are plenty of people, even the ones who have permanent numbness/tingly feeling in the lip and chin, that say they do not regret the surgery and they are happy with the results. I just don't know if I can go through all of that recovery, and then possibly be left with permanent problems, which to me after reading all of the blogs on the internet and stories on here, it seems like many of you have.

If I go the non-surgical route, this orthodontist said I can be taken care of with invisalign (he's is the orthodontist who invented it, so even though my case is difficult and a lot of dentists wouldn't consider me an invisalign candidate, he can do it-- bonus!!), but he probably couldn't do much with my bite, and he could maybe make my teeth a little longer. He can do this without any tooth removal.

Has anybody opted to not get the surgery? Do you regret it? For me, this decision has nothing to do with money (the surgery through insurance would end up costing me only $500, which I can't believe!), and everything to do with any significant permanent problems that could happen after the surgery. I've read some horror stories, and it seems like there are many of them around to read, which gives me this overwhelming feeling that there is a good chance I'd have permanent issues like the lip/chin numbness. Maybe those stories are cases that are in the minority and not the majority, but people always feel more inclined to write about a negative experience than one like, "oh, I had this done and everything went smoothly-- the end."

I don't know what to do! I am including pictures from my file they started yesterday. Anybody's .02 cents, experiences, or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

PS-- god, I wish I had done my hair and put on make up for these pics yesterday! It was my first appointment and I wasn't expecting them to be taken since they weren't done on the first appointment at the other orthodontist.

bmueller

Re: Double Jaw Surgery-- Not Sure if I want to Do It.

#2 Post by bmueller »

My advice is to first think about what you don't like about your teeth and ask yourself if the main things you don't like about your teeth will be fixed without surgery.

I have an openbite with lots of gum showing and an overjet. My teeth looked very similar to yours actually. Originally, I opted for the non-surgical treatment involving TADS to close my openbite. When I was at the consultation with the surgeon for TADS, it became apparent to me that 1. this non surgical method was not going to fix my "gummy smile" and 2. it was still going to be a lot of work and money.

I ended up deciding to have jaw surgery and I am so happy I did. I am 27 and have had NO complications related to the surgery. Yes, not being able to eat real food for 6 weeks is annoying, but the transformation is amazing. It achieved everything I wanted. I have no numbness or permanent damage.

Honestly, most of the people who have horror stories are in the minority and they're just looking for a place to say their piece (which is fine). I had brought all these horror story questions to my surgeon and asked before I agreed to the surgery and he reassured me that most people make a 100% recovery and he's yet to have someone regret the surgery. But then again, I picked one of the best surgeons in DC.

Again, just think about what you want to achieve and see what treatment will get you there. I'd hate for you to be disappointed after all this time and effort to go through braces as an adult.

See my results below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LyraM45

#3 Post by LyraM45 »

Thanks so much for your reply! And yes, we do have similar "before" problems! I wold have to say the gummy overjet probably bothers me most cosmetically, but I think I could live with it if my teeth were straight. I guess it's easy to say that when you're forced to live with it- ha! I know all of my life I always have to hold back my smile because I just wanted to crack my lip enough just to show teeth and make it look like I had a normal smile. If somebody catches a picture of me just cracking up offguard and I am not actually concentrating on my smile, I always HATE those pictures!

I am going to talk to the surgeon within the next few weeks. I think between talking to the orthodontist(s), my general dentist, my friends who are dentists, and the surgeon, I'll probably have a good feel for what I want to do-- which surprisingly right now, I am leaning towards the surgery! :D

bmueller

#4 Post by bmueller »

Keep us all updated. I should be done in a few months and plan to post a blog of my experiences both with braces and jaw surgery. The people on this forum are really supportive and helpful whatever decision you make.

If you can get away with $500 for surgery out of pocket, that's great. I paid almost $10k as my insurance carrier doesn't have in-network surgeons. The total cost of surgery+hospital was $30k so I'm glad I did have insurance to cover most of it.

Either way, I'm so happy I did it. I would have paid much more to get this outcome.

Go prepared to see the surgeon, I had a whole page of questions from: what are the risks of numbness, what materials are the screws/plates made of, what is the typical recovery (banding or wiring shut), how long is the hospital stay, will any meds I take interfere with surgery/recovery... I came in combative and resistant and left feeling really comfortable in the decision to go ahead.

You don't want to regret and go through this again. Just make sure you're 100% happy with your decision from the get-go. Best of luck!

LyraM45

#5 Post by LyraM45 »

Great idea! I will write everything out this week. I definitely have a lot of questions/concerns!

GSBraces

#6 Post by GSBraces »

My case are kind of similar to yours. I have decided to go thru the surgery to fix this, still only begun the progress so looking forward to hear more about yours!

LyraM45

#7 Post by LyraM45 »

Ditto! Are you updating your story anywhere? I'd love to keep tabs with everybody! :D

GSBraces

#8 Post by GSBraces »

LyraM45 wrote:Ditto! Are you updating your story anywhere? I'd love to keep tabs with everybody! :D
Yeap, have a thread here, a few topics down. Still not much in it but will post some pics shortly.

Smiles10

#9 Post by Smiles10 »

What are the issues the orthodontist is saying need correction with surgery that braces can't fix?

LyraM45

#10 Post by LyraM45 »

This was only the initial consult, but between him, the other ortho I've seen, and my dentist, I guess it sounds like the gummy smile, 8mm overjet, open bite, and over bite. Without surgery I could just straighten the teeth it sounds like...although from reading on here it seems people have had success closing up an open bite a little through braces.

Anna5

#11 Post by Anna5 »

Dear Lyra, in my opinion your teeth don't look so bad, so I wouldn't say you definitely need the surgery.
(I actually think your teeth are much nicer than mine (I have an open bite and have chosen the non surgical route, at least for now).
But I think you should do what feels the best for you and if that is surgery, definitely go with it. I wish you very good luck and lots of wisdom with your decision!

LyraM45

#12 Post by LyraM45 »

Anna-- thanks for your input! Do you have any blog or entries with pictures of your case? So far do you like the changes you're seeing on the non surgical route?

Thanks!

Lewdboy

#13 Post by Lewdboy »

When the surgeon says 'most people make a 100% recovery', this is very different to saying 'almost 100% of people make a full recovery'.

Remember when it comes to percentages, 51% is most. What his misleading statement means is that those people making 100% recovery are in the majority (i think the figure is around 70% with the rest of the 30% experiencing various degrees of perminent side effects).
Top metal brace applied: 23rd January 2013
Bottom metal brace applied: 5th June 2013
BSSO and Genioplasty (lower jaw advancement): 5th February 2014

Anna5

#14 Post by Anna5 »

Dear Lyra,

Here is a link to my topic (I hope it works). If the link doesn't work: My topic is called: 'refusing jaw surgery for an open bite and crossbite', I am sure you will find it.
I also added some pictures in this topic.
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 15&t=44099

I have been in braces for only 1 week now, so I can't tell you about the results now. For me, I find surgery so invasive and scary, so I try the nonsurgical route first.

Why do you want the surgery? Is it mainly cosmetic or functional? Cosmetic: I really think your teeth are quite pretty now, but that's only my opinion.... Some people also find my teeth ok, about which I definitely disagree! So you should defnitely chose what feels best for you!

Greetings from Anna

LyraM45

#15 Post by LyraM45 »

Ditto! I also find the surgery a VERY scary thought. The possibility of the lingering side effects, and the decent chance of them (3/10 is decent enough for me!), really bothers me. I am going to go for the consult with the oral surgeon, and when I go I am asking for a list of medical reasons why this surgery should be done. So far with both of the orthodontists, I get a little tap dance after I ask that question, and not a list of reasons why.

I see the orthodontist for another chat tomorrow, so I'll talk more about this with him again. All he mentioned during our last appointment was for the non surgical option he would do invisalign, which would just straighten my teeth and leave me with a gummy smile and the open bite and overjet still. I mentioned that I would be willing to do whatever I had to, including wearing traditional braces, elastics, or any other nasty appliance if it meant any chance in a slight improvement of the overjet and bite. He didn't say anything to that, so maybe he misunderstood me. I'll throw it at him again tomorrow and see what he says, because I know some improvement is possible. I've seen it with many people on here. I'm not even looking for a lot.... if he could get my overjet from 8mm to 5 or 6, I'd take that!