Putting Elastic Bands back on

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheDude

Putting Elastic Bands back on

#1 Post by TheDude »

Hi guys

I had upper and lower jaw surgery 10 days ago for my underbite. Today I got my elastics took off and now only have to wear one on each side of my teeth in a box shape.

The doctor put these on for me and I was told I could take these out to eat so I did just that today. After struggling for quite a while with them I managed to get them on back on after eating but I am worried that I haven't put them back on right. They look the same as before but it feels like my bite has shifted? My mid lines don't meet up and my front upper teeth now touch my bottom front teeth edge to edge as opposed to the slight overbite that you are meant to have after surgery.

This has me really worried about relapse. I'm scared that my teeth will have gone back to an underbite when I go to sleep tonight.

I see my surgeon next week so hopefully my teeth don't move anymore.

Is there a chance I could relapse if the bands aren't right? I really wish I hadn't took them off now.

If anyone could offer any advice or help it would be much appreciated

Thanks

bmueller

Re: Putting Elastic Bands back on

#2 Post by bmueller »

When in doubt, call the surgeon! You obviously don't want to relapse and have to do it all again. The surgeon would rather have a problem fixed now than wait for something to get worse.

BracketBaring

#3 Post by BracketBaring »

Did you call the doc? Hope it wasn't a relapse.

TheDude

#4 Post by TheDude »

I called the hospital and they told me to come in the next day. Turns out my lower jaw muscles were trying to pull my jaw back into its original position :? So I got more elastics put in and its fine now thankfully.

So glad I went to the hospital and didn't just leave it.

BracketBaring

#5 Post by BracketBaring »

[quote="TheDude"]I called the hospital and they told me to come in the next day. Turns out my lower jaw muscles were trying to pull my jaw back into its original position :? So I got more elastics put in and its fine now thankfully.

So glad I went to the hospital and didn't just leave it.[/quote]

Wow, good to know! Thanks for the follow up 8)