June2013 buddies? Surgery on upper or both jaws

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jawpains62013

Re: June2013 buddies? Surgery on upper or both jaws

#16 Post by jawpains62013 »

I am also having surgery on June 5th! I am extremely nervous as I just freak out when someone comes at me with a needle at a doctors office. I already have my surgical hooks and they are awful! Just hoping I am too numb to feel anything after surgery and I am also scared I will wake up in pain and/or not be able to communicate to a nurse I need pain meds. Anyone else having these worries? I have a whole lot of supplies already and my mom is a nurse so that will come in handy after I come home!

Chiara

#17 Post by Chiara »

we're scheduled for the same day! I went shopping last night and bought a few supplies. what are you having done? I'm getting super nervous too. I'm not afraid of needles I just know what happens during this surgery and that's what freaks me out. that's nice to know that the surgical hooks suck because I'll be getting them Tuesday. has anyone else thought about asking their surgeon for something for the night before surgery to keep them calm and let them sleep? I was going to ask mine cause I know I'll be a wreck.
Leforte I maxillary osteo and Genioplasty(Surgery date- June 5, 2013)
[/url]
[/url]

jawpains62013

#18 Post by jawpains62013 »

I might ask my surgeon for something because I will be a wreck as well. I am a certified central sterile processing tech which means I clean and sterilize instruments and equipment after it is used in the OR so I know every instrument that will be used and how it will be used. :shock: Kinda wished I didn't lol. Oh and Tuesday is my pre-op appt with my surgeon and anesthesiologist ( hope I spelt that right! ) I will let everyone know how that goes. :)

jawpains62013

#19 Post by jawpains62013 »

Oh and I forgot I am having double jaw surgery with a lefort 1 and a sagtital split. Just sounds painful! :(

June2013

#20 Post by June2013 »

Hey guys ;) welcome jawpains!
So I had my surgical hooks put on last Thursday
And also had my final records and measurements taken so they can perform the mock
Surgery on my models this week.
Felt like I was part of a saw movie :|
Then on Friday went Into the hygenist for a deep clean before my op.
Surgical hooks are ok apart from the one on the bottom in the middle keeps catching on my lip, been awhile since I've have to deal with ulcers, hope my mouth gets used to it quickly!
What have you guys bought?
I can't bare to think about what ill be blending up.... I hate that consistency of food anyway.... What's your guys ideas on blended food?

jawpains62013

#21 Post by jawpains62013 »

I have bunches of food and my ortho even gave me some. I wam thinking about mixing up fruit for smoothies and spinach and milk for cream of spinach. Just a few ideas. :) Might want to get baby food as well and a bib wouldn't hurt since you might not be able to feel food going down your face.

Chiara

#22 Post by Chiara »

so my pre op was yesterday. my ortho put my hooks on which aren't bad at all. I guess after two years of braces my mouth is use to being abused. I had to take lots of pictures and a few xrays. I asked my ortho how long after surgery I would be wearing braces. he said 9 months uggggh. so after the ortho I met with my surgeon. had to go over all the things they were going to be doing- like I didn't already know- they gave me a jaw bra and a zip squeeze pouch. after that they took my moulds and an impression of my bite for the splint. then my surgeon came in to talk with me. he gave me a mirror and asked what I didn't like about my face HA! at the time I thought to myself what a question! I told him I just wanted everything normal. I also asked about my lips thinning and he said not at all. I told him I needed something for anxiety for the night before surgery so he gave me a prescription for xanex which is a relief for me cause more ill be able to rest. after that they told me the hospital should be calling soon with instructions. I also paid for my surgery yesterday so there's no backing out now.
[/url]
[/url]

jawpains62013

#23 Post by jawpains62013 »

I went for my pre-op and what a mess that was!! I was told by my surgeon and another that works with him I no longer require double jaw surgery( he thinks! ) but I require only lower jaw surgery oh and for a new curveball he said I will need a genioplasty! The good news is I might not be banded! As if I wasn't freaking out enough as it is. I will try to talk to my orthodontist next monday since monday-friday here in the US in memorial day to see what he says since him and the surgeon have a bad history of not communicating. Other than that it has been an ok week. I have everything I need for recovery now. My dentist pushed down a hook that kept catching and ripping my lip on the bottom front. He said "that is wayy to far out there" and he bent it in a little. I was freaking out! :shock: He said if need be the surgeon can move it back during surgery. Hey I'll take that since now it isn't catching my lip every 5 minutes! :D Anybody else kinda excited/nervous out there about their upcoming surgery dates?

Chiara

#24 Post by Chiara »

Yes! getting super nervous now that I can say my surgery is next week!
[/url]
[/url]

June2013

#25 Post by June2013 »

nervous? yes!
starting to worry about not being able to breathe properly after surgery.
i'm sure it'll be fine but im currently suffering with a sore/swollen throat and can only imagine what itll feel like after having had surgery and a breathing tube shoved down there along with facial swelling.
I had a call from my orthodontist last week saying the mock surgery they did came out with unexpected results so they need me back in to re measure all of the measurments :O IM GLAD THEY DO MOCK SURGERY!
then i'm off on thursday for my pre op assesment, do they take long?
i also keep having dreams that people i care about are being harmed/hurt... not sure what thats about guess im anxious.
id love something to take before the surgery to keep me calm... not sure that the drs in london would be so happy to prescribe that though.... may be worth a try, what are you guys thinking of?
anyway hope you guys enjoyed your weekend, take care x

jawpains62013

#26 Post by jawpains62013 »

I am mostly worried about recovery when I wake up and nobody notices I am awake, having trouble breathing or not being able to communicate. As for mock surgery I am not sure if they are doing that on my molds or not plus I am still very confused as to what exactly they will be doing during surgery. At this point I am just going to find out what they did after I wake up I guess. Ugh my orthodontist and surgeon need to communicate wayyy more!

June2013

#27 Post by June2013 »

know the feeling jawpains. I started asking alot more questions after i signed up to this site. Saw my orthodontist today and shes pretty certain im only going to need the top jaw :D apparently much less swelling and not as painful also less likley hood of loosing sensation due to nerve damadge.
woohoo suits me :)
wonder how much it will change my looks now though...?
theyre repeating the mock surgery and then we will know for sure the day of surgery.

you guys must be getting nervous now, packed your hospital bag, bought any of those horrendous ensure/nutrients drinks?
havent dared try one yet never mind buy any :S

yellowhat

#28 Post by yellowhat »

Hi.
I've just had letter about pre-op assessment, yet still have no idea about surgery date. Just out of curiosity, what was the time scale between pre-op date and surgery date?

Thanks

YH

June2013

#29 Post by June2013 »

Hi yh, my pre op is exactly two weeks,before surgery. Needs to be close to the surgery date as they test your health etc
Strange you don't have a date yet?

Hyrules

#30 Post by Hyrules »

My pre op tests were 3 or 4 days before surgery. They will want to test your health at the very last minute just to make sure you don't get something before surgery.