May 2013 Lower BSSO Surgery!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

aussiebrace

May 2013 Lower BSSO Surgery!

#1 Post by aussiebrace »

Hi all,

im new here and just wanted to join to look for some support and interaction with others going through a similar situation.
im 29 years old and from Brisbane Australia.
In September 2011 i had my braces put on (ceramic/clear on top, metal on bottom). I had reasonably crooked lower teeth, a large gap between my two upper front teeth and quite a sever overbite - totally won the smile jackpot out of my siblings - Not!
So braces ad powerchains quickly closed my gap nd straightened my teeth. Quicker than i imagined it would! In March 2012 i had all four wisdom teeth out (impaced).

On wedesday i was finally given a date for my lower jaw urgery (advancement)..... May 8th! Thats less than 3 weeks away.

Im nervous/scared and excited all at the same time. Im ready for the surgery to be done and to be on the last stretch to my perfect smile. But the only time i have ever had surery before was last yar for my wisdm teeth so this doesmake me really nervous.

Anyway i as interested to hear from others who are or have gone through a similar surgery a how you found it?

Im interested to see how my profile looks afterward. I dont have a small chin like a lot of people with severe overbitesseem to have, in fact min is somewhat prominant. Ive metioned this to the surgeon who tinks with the surgery it will soften a little. but if im unhappy will shave it down in a few months time once swelling has gonedown and we can hve a clearer idea of the finished product. Also i have always "hidden" my overbite fairly well. It isnt obvious in pictures or really in person as i dont tend to clamp by back teeth down, my jaw sees to self correct normally and my profile is generally pretty much perfect. is only really if i do a big smile/laugh or when im eating that it seems to be evident.

I wonderif this surgery will change my profile for the better? I hope so!

Anywy any advice or insight would be so greatlly appreciated :)

Thanks,

Katy

Leebie3

Re: May 2013 Lower BSSO Surgery!

#2 Post by Leebie3 »

Exciting and nerve wracking!! So what's the system like here in oz been for you? Anything I should be aware of? (Sorry for hijacking!)

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

Leebie3

#3 Post by Leebie3 »

Ps: I'm in Cairns and am 37 :D

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

Hyrules

#4 Post by Hyrules »

I would be a May buddy as well. I got the surgery 5 days ago. I'm also 30 so do bother about age :wink:

subu

#5 Post by subu »

I turned 35 the day before surgery! Surgery was May 7th. How is everyone doing so far with recovery?
My double jaw surgery timeline & story

Hyrules

#6 Post by Hyrules »

Mine is doing fine. Everything is as expected. Although that i recently dicovered the joys of night jaw spasms.

subu

#7 Post by subu »

How often do the spasms happen? I experienced a few on my left side that woke me up. I haven't had any for the past week ...I hope that continues!

kieranmullen

#8 Post by kieranmullen »

Can you post before and after pictures when available?

[quote="aussiebrace"]Hi all,

im new here and just wanted to join to look for some support and interaction with others going through a similar situation.
im 29 years old and from Brisbane Australia.
In September 2011 i had my braces put on (ceramic/clear on top, metal on bottom). I had reasonably crooked lower teeth, a large gap between my two upper front teeth and quite a sever overbite - totally won the smile jackpot out of my siblings - Not!
So braces ad powerchains quickly closed my gap nd straightened my teeth. Quicker than i imagined it would! In March 2012 i had all four wisdom teeth out (impaced).

On wedesday i was finally given a date for my lower jaw urgery (advancement)..... May 8th! Thats less than 3 weeks away.

Im nervous/scared and excited all at the same time. Im ready for the surgery to be done and to be on the last stretch to my perfect smile. But the only time i have ever had surery before was last yar for my wisdm teeth so this doesmake me really nervous.

Anyway i as interested to hear from others who are or have gone through a similar surgery a how you found it?

Im interested to see how my profile looks afterward. I dont have a small chin like a lot of people with severe overbitesseem to have, in fact min is somewhat prominant. Ive metioned this to the surgeon who tinks with the surgery it will soften a little. but if im unhappy will shave it down in a few months time once swelling has gonedown and we can hve a clearer idea of the finished product. Also i have always "hidden" my overbite fairly well. It isnt obvious in pictures or really in person as i dont tend to clamp by back teeth down, my jaw sees to self correct normally and my profile is generally pretty much perfect. is only really if i do a big smile/laugh or when im eating that it seems to be evident.

I wonderif this surgery will change my profile for the better? I hope so!

Anywy any advice or insight would be so greatlly appreciated :)

Thanks,

Katy[/quote]

Hyrules

#9 Post by Hyrules »

@Subu for a couple of night it happened frequently. A couple of spasms per night and they were strong. Lately it happens maybe once or twice a night and they seems to be mild to weak. Everybody is different. The spasms are on my left side as well. I also have to wear rubber bands at night. I don't wear them all night long because they give me ear ache. So I get up at around 4 or 5 am to remove them and get another 4 hours of sleep without them. My surgeon told me that everything was so solid that there were no chance at all that it was going to move except if I get hit. So I can also sleep on my side as well. When I asked about rubber band he was kinda hesitant to have me wear them during night as if it was not that important for him at this point. Even If i remove them everything is exactly were it should be in my case.

subu

#10 Post by subu »

You don't wear them at night? Wow! I would be too scared to do that. I used to grind my teeth at night and would probably injure myself. I had 3 spasms yesterday and I noticed they happened when I was using my jaw the most. Yesterday was quite an active day - maybe that contributes to the condition?

Hyrules

#11 Post by Hyrules »

Not that i don't wear them at all I wear them most of the night. just between 4 -6 hours. I don't grind my teeth during the night. My jaw tend to open so I sleep my mouth open. My spasm happens when I talk sometimes as if you try to move you mouth in a way that your muscles are not used to in the new configuration they are in. As of late my spasms happens less often. Last night I didn't had any and my ear ache caused by the rubber bands are less painful.