Post-op tips

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

subu

Re: Post-op tips

#31 Post by subu »

Wow, you made it longer than I. I think by Day 5 I was disgusted by the liquid food or maybe it was because my family was bringing over things that SHOULDN'T be liquified. It turned my stomach.

I'm glad you're regaining strength in your jaw! I did the same things with ice cream, early on. I bought a Cookies and Cream McFlurry and blended it. But the cookie crumbs still couldn't make it through the syringe. I opted to shovel it in my mouth and slurp it in...haha. It was magical and messy!

I noticed 1 week ago, after eating spicy foods, that my palate started to regain some feeling. I would love to attribute it to the very spicy food but maybe it was just very good timing. Anyways, just a thought.
My double jaw surgery timeline & story

Hyrules

#32 Post by Hyrules »

haha... I'm a patient man... I don't remember if you told me you had SARPE but it's basically the same thing. Except with SARPE it's longer than 6 weeks. It took 3 months because of the expander. Up till now I have blended almost everything I had a craving for. McDonald ( cheeseburger and fries) + ( McNuggets and fries) , Bennys (chicken + fries). Unfortunately it taste like McDonalds and Bennys but blended. Drinking one's lunch is not as gratifying as eating it I think this if what we are missing. Just for the fun I added my before and after picture. You can see before and after surgery. Don't worry about the alignment of my teeth in the second image. They are perfectly aligned. I was slightly turned when I took the picture so It seems as it has a offset but it's perfecly centered. I also added a picture of my teeth in the beginning before any surgery or orthodontic treatments. We are almost done with eating liquid diet !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bmueller

#33 Post by bmueller »

Wow! Amazing results. So glad to see you're doing great on your recovery too.

I'll be honest, some of my "staple" foods during recovery, I just can't stand to think of eating right now. I'm so sick of them, and sick of thinking of them in blended form.

You'll be done before you know it and looking great too!

Hyrules

#34 Post by Hyrules »

Well this is the 1 month mark for me today ! I ahd my surgery on may 6th and we are now june 6th. Bone healing is almost done a week and a half to go !

bmueller

#35 Post by bmueller »

Yay! Glad to hear you're doing so well.

Hyrules

#36 Post by Hyrules »

4 days to go for my 6 week day. Today i had an appointment with my surgeon. Everything is great. He gave me the go go to start chewing food. I told me that i can start to eat soft food like chicken and even soft steak ut not to jump right into hard stuff right away.

Hyrules

#37 Post by Hyrules »

so i ate a hamburger with a knife and fork. Took me half an hour but i was able eat it no pain just a sore jaw after lolll. It's kinda weird to be able to chez again. I have to get used to my new bite.

Hyrules

#38 Post by Hyrules »

Eating is kinda weird. There is absolutely no pain at all. But sometimes my teeth clash with each other in ways i'm not used to. When I eat I feel a popping in my jaw joint does anybody had that kind of thing after surgery ? ( it's not a popping sound or clicking )

EricRoyalOak

#39 Post by EricRoyalOak »

Hyr,

Your teeth look great! When do the braces come off. Do you have more time for final adjustments/straightening?

Hyrules

#40 Post by Hyrules »

My orthodontist told me another 6 months for brace to come off. He also told me that the surgeon did his job so well that hew doesn't have alot left to do. I'm going to see my orthodontist this morning because since my last treatment brace treatment, my midline is off a little and I am curious to see if this is normal and what he will do about it.

Oh an by the way today marks my 6 weeks post op ! Officially the bones in my jaws are healed. I'm also chewing more and more stuff.

Hyrules

#41 Post by Hyrules »

Well the midline shift is not abnormal. There is a gap that opened between some of my teeth and this gap is about the size of the shift so there is place to move back everything next appointment. He also told me that a perfect midline is possible but not always and that most of the time the midline is not always perfect.