Surgery hooks

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

June2013

Surgery hooks

#1 Post by June2013 »

Hey, I'm due for upper jaw surgery on Tuesday.
Had my hooks fitted three weeks ago or so. Just wondering how log ill have them after surgery, or do they stay on Indefinitely?

midnight

Re: Surgery hooks

#2 Post by midnight »

I had mine for over 5 months until I had my braces off. Other people I've spoken to had them off after a couple of weeks so I think it just depends on your ortho.

Alicia0913

#3 Post by Alicia0913 »

Are the hooks very uncomfortable or unsightly? Somewhat concerned...

Hyrules

#4 Post by Hyrules »

If installed properly you wont feel them at all. I had mine installed a week before surgery and didn't feel them.

June2013

#5 Post by June2013 »

Hey, no not particularly bad or anything I was just wondering. To describe them as hooks is a bit of an over statement, there just a pointy metal but with a little ball on the end that they stick in between the brackets.
To be honest I was asking out of curiosity mainly. That and she clamped them on so tightly I don't look forward to her removing them!
How long they stay on for depends on how long you have to wear elastics for after surgery, I have tons of elastics so guess ill be having my hooks for a while!

theman

#6 Post by theman »

They aren't uncomfortable at all, I never noticed them. They're taken off after your orthodontist decides you can stop wearing rubber bands, which is usually 4-6 weeks depending on the surgery.

Bloomingcactus657

#7 Post by Bloomingcactus657 »

I didn't like them for the sheer fact that I could feel them every time I spoke. My surgeon was kind enough to call my ortho 4 weeks after and ask him to remove them for me, otherwise it would have been 8 weeks.

Corrinne

#8 Post by Corrinne »

These are my surgical hooks - had them fitted two weeks ago. They don't hurt at all, but for the first few days it felt like I had loads of food stuck in my braces!

Sorry for the extra large pic - no idea how to adjust the size! :/

Four wisdom extracted 03/2011, Braces & quadhelix 09/2011, bimax & genio summer 2013
Blog: http://jawsurgery-journey.blogspot.co.uk
Vlog: https://www.youtube.com/user/doublejawsurgery/videos