Post-operative diet help

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ccjjb

Post-operative diet help

#1 Post by ccjjb »

Hello! I had a lefort 1 upper jaw surgery done 1 week ago and everything has been going fairly well as far as healing goes, however I don't think I am eating enough. The first few days I ate a lot of soups and smoothies and such but have been having a problem stomaching anything with milk in it which excludes a lot of common suggestions I've been able to find on the internet. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas or had this same problem?
So far what I have been able to drink (eat?) (I acknowledge my diet is pretty terrible right now)
-Ensure Clear
-Tomato soup (with water)
-Cream of chicken soup (with water)
-Hot chocolate
-Various clear juices (apple, grape, blueberry, cherry)
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ST24085

Re: Post-operative diet help

#2 Post by ST24085 »

I have not had surgery yet but I can tell you about my healthy mass gainer shake I use.

I take in a lot of whey for working out. However from what you've said maybe whey will hurt your stomach. There is a vegan protein powder called Vega Sport that has a complete BCAA (branch chain amino acid) profile which is extremely rare for a vegan powder. There's also another one called Sun Warrior but I prefer the taste of the Vega Sport.

Here's what I blend up in the Blendtec:

1/4 c steel cut oats
1 banana or 1/2 c frozen berry mix
1 scoop Vega Sport
1 tbsp chia seeds
1tbsp natural almond or peanut butter
1/2 cup of your favorite veggie (careful, some can overpower the taste of the shake :shock: )
2 cups water

There is almost 500 (healthy!) calories in that alone. If you do not have a good blender or food processor you'll have to precook the steel cut oats in the microwave with water and blend them alone with yet more water for a minute or so or they'll be too chunky.

ccjjb

#3 Post by ccjjb »

This sounds great I'll have to give it a try! Where do you get the vegan protein powder?

mia137

#4 Post by mia137 »

I had a Lefort 1 on the 25th. I've been pleased with how little weight I've lost. I've been having a protein drink every morning - fresh pressed veggie juice (I prefer a beet blend), fresh pressed almond milk, a scoop of protein powder (I've been using RAW brand, which might be good for you since it's dairy-free. Whey and casein are very nutrient dense but that's entirely dairy) and some other health powders like spirulina and bee pollen. Shake and drink. It's filling and a lot of nutrients. If you live somewhere where fresh pressed veggie juice is available, you can't go wrong with this.

My husband's also been making me a lot of pureed soups. We've had tomato (quite acidic so be careful), sweet pea, cauliflower curry, butternut squash, mushroom... and last night he made finely chopped ahi poke with a cauliflower mash. That was fantastic for protein. I've been eating almost entirely organic and as much fresh produce as possible - better for healing.

Ive also had a couple batches of mashed potatoes, though you might have trouble with the dairy. Also dairy but good for protein - my dad made me lox spread. I've had some hummus and tuna salad, too.

I tried fractionated coconut oil for fat but I got sick. I don't know if it was related to the oil (more likely the pain meds) but I stopped using it anyway.

I just saw you asked someone where to get vegan protein powder. Here's a link to the one I've been using: http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Organ ... AW+protein I don't know if it's the best, but I like the brand and it's been working for me. It's a little lower in calories than might be ideal for trying to keep weight on, but you can always add extra.

I hope some of those help! Good luck!!

ST24085

#5 Post by ST24085 »

ccjjb wrote:This sounds great I'll have to give it a try! Where do you get the vegan protein powder?
Where do you live? You can buy both the Vega Sport and Warrior Blend from vitamart.ca . But if you live in the US I'm sure there's a better option as far as online shops go because most will ship for free in the US.

Just to reiterate, try the Vega Sport first, it tastes and mixes way better. I tried the Warrior Blend and it mixes up very thick; think pancake mix (not quite, but similar texture). It also has a very earthy organic taste. You can definitely tell it's a vegan product ;).

Edit: Bodybuilding.com has both :)

BracketBaring

#6 Post by BracketBaring »

I'm now 10 days post-op double jaw surgery and all my food has to be consumed through a syringe. I initially found this very challenging, as a lot of stuff will not fit through that tiny hole (or through my teeth, since I'm banded really tightly). I've spent the last week reading forums and blogs and experimenting. I now have decent selection of foods to get me through the next couple weeks. Here's my tips and food list I've been keeping:

Tips:
use Lactaid milk, soy milk or rice milk if lactose intolerant
add peanut butter, honey, syrup, or pureed fruits to milkshakes, oatmeal, cream of wheat, yogurt, etc.
make pureed fruits in large batches to have ready to go
add protein powder to juice, water, or milk (use the vegan stuff in your case)

Foods:
Baby oatmeal, cream of wheat, pancakes or waffles blended with milk/water and syrup, honey, or fruit puree
mashed potatoes (sweet or regular) blended with milk/water
yogurt or pudding blended with milk/water
Puread peaches, pears, applesauce, bananas
Soups: Brocholi cheese blended, cream of chicken (strained), split pea, butternut squash bisque, cream of potato, vegetarian chili blended (add cheese if wanted), tomato (add cheese if wanted)
Refried beans
scrambled eggs blended with milk/water
canned pumpkin (blend into shakes)
toast (avoid grainy breads, remove crust) blended with milk or broth, can blend with peanut butter and jelly for a PB&J "sandwich"

Changes

#7 Post by Changes »

What about a nice chicken stock thats what I have been making its delicious. Just boil up a some nice chicken thighs with carrots onions etc, bones inclued so all the marrow goes into the stock and then strain the clear liquid. Amazing. Or for an alternative make a nice beef gravy using the same method.