lipo/buccal fat removal before upper jaw surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

shazmuls

lipo/buccal fat removal before upper jaw surgery?

#1 Post by shazmuls »

Hi folks, your thoughts on the below issue are very much appreciated.
Basically over the last year I have been meeting with plastic surgeons in an effort to improve me appearance, one or two of the more knowledgeable ones pointed me in the direction of a cranimaxial facial surgeon to 'fix' my underbite as they said this would be the main area of 'concern' with me, I'm now wearing braces and the end of the year is looking like a likely time for lefort1 upper jaw surgey.

Iam however interested in having buccall fat removal and liposuction to the chin/jaw area to increase lower face definition though. Obviously when my upper jaw is brought forward (by about 8mm I think) at the end of this year this will increase midface and lower face definition somemore. But my question is then do people forsee any issues with having buccall and lipo done prior to jaw surgery, I mean the jaw surgeon goes by skeltal structure as opposed to soft issue right? Perhaps if I have buccall & lipo my skin will appear stretched when my upper jaw comes forward?

Anyone has any personal insight into this? Thanks.

Delag

#2 Post by Delag »

Most OMS's are well trained in the estetics of the lower face and are quite competent to perform things like lipo and neck tucks (or whatever they are called). A lot of this can be done at the time of your Lefort....if you like the doctor. I agree with the other posters that you should not do anything before you have the upper jaw surgery. My OMS has offered to tighten things up a bit for me, but I haven't decided yet. He seems to charge a lot and I need to check into it a bit more.

nvcarissa

#3 Post by nvcarissa »

Honestly, when I got my mandibular advancement, it really tightened up under my chin. My advice would be to wait until at least six months after your advancement to see what the results are before getting the lipo. I am fifty.

Braced 5/11/05, BSSO with advancement 6/21/06, Debanded: 8/1/07. Click on www for my braces story.

therejuve

Re: lipo/buccal fat removal before upper jaw surgery?

#4 Post by therejuve »

This is such a nice and useful information for us...i appreciate urs word,,Thank You.... :jump:

celticcavegirl

Re: lipo/buccal fat removal before upper jaw surgery?

#5 Post by celticcavegirl »

I also suggest that you wait. I want buccal fat reduction too but I'm waiting til after my BSSO

I've had neck lipo already and the recovery isn't as easy as you might think and will make recovery from jaw surgery that bit worse