August 2013 Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SueHeck

Re: August 2013 Buddies

#16 Post by SueHeck »

Whoops I forgot to mention!!! I took the part that creates suction out. On the newer ones its just a plastic piece. I can easily pour it now but it has a smaller opening so more liquids go into my mouth and not down my very large chipmunk cheeks.

Changes

#17 Post by Changes »

Good idea Sue

Pug will be thinking of you on Wednesday! best of luck x

SueHeck

#18 Post by SueHeck »

My doctor warned me that I may become depressed after the surgery, which is normal and I have always become emotional when I take anti-biotics (no idea why). I do get a little upset/frustrated sometimes but it passes quickly. It is day 4 and I am still in a good mood. I have been focusing on the progress. I take photos everyday so I can see the swelling reduce. I'm getting better at drinking everyday and have taken care of my lips pretty well. Today I was able to have a lot more calories, not just water. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll be able to have more because I am starting to get hungry. I'm picking out first post-op meals now :)

A big factor to my mood is definitely my husband. I was a little concern that he would not be sympathetic and become demanding about how much I can do each day. That has not been the case at all. He is the first one to pop out of bed or off the couch when my med alarm goes off. He offers to do so much more than I would have even asked him. He is also listening to me and not trying to get me to do what he thinks is best. For instance, I haven't taken codine because I am not in pain but he thought I should take it to be safe. He offers it every once in awhile but when I say no he doesn't try to convince me to take it. He did eat a Twinkie right in front of me today. When he saw the look on my face he ran out of the room and promised not to do that again. It was funny. I wanted to laugh but my lips hurt when I laugh.

Good luck Pug! I'll be here if you have any last minute questions or if you need to talk after the surgery.

RS732

#19 Post by RS732 »

I just got home from the hospital. When i woke up from the surgery, i had troubles drinking fluids but im doing a lot better now. I cant wait to try out the sippy cup!!!!

My surgeon said, i shoulbe ablt to talk but i cant no matter how hard i try. I only have on the elastics but maybe the splint is on to tight?

Wish everyone the best of luck.

Changes

#20 Post by Changes »

Good to hear everyones progress you sound like you're all doing well

I'm going in tomorrow so scared can't sleep! Hopefully all will go well. Will post back afterwards to let you know x

RS732

#21 Post by RS732 »

^Best of luck!

SueHeck

#22 Post by SueHeck »

Good Luck Changes!

RS - I am also having problems speaking and swallowing because I have a splint attached to the bottom of my top teeth. I had my top palate expanded. I went to the doctor today and he said I would have the splint for another two weeks, until I reminded him that I start work 9/3. I will get the splint off next Friday. I think having the splint taken out will make speaking and eating soft foods easier.

RS732

#23 Post by RS732 »

SueHeck wrote:Good Luck Changes!

RS - I am also having problems speaking and swallowing because I have a splint attached to the bottom of my top teeth. I had my top palate expanded. I went to the doctor today and he said I would have the splint for another two weeks, until I reminded him that I start work 9/3. I will get the splint off next Friday. I think having the splint taken out will make speaking and eating soft foods easier.
I can't wait for the day, i get the splint removed or at least my elastics.

Changes

#24 Post by Changes »

Hello August buddies! Thank you for the good wishes

I survived the surgery! So glad that its done now, feel the scariest bit is over and its just a journey forward from now on. Braces dont seem nearly so scary now! The surgeon was v pleased with the results and says its a success. Can already see that my profile is looking better, chin not receding so much. And the best news - there has been absolutely no nerve damage as far as i can tell, can feel my bottom lips just fine. Am on day 2 now and my face is so swollen. Its ridiculous i was a wee bit embarrassed to let my hubby see me. Got a wafer in and got elastics. So everything is feeling tense and stretched and clenched and its hard to talk. But I have good drugs from the hospital. Just been drinking water and had an Ensure plus drink. Gosh am I hungry.

Wow Sue you are going back to work quite early! Will you take more time off if you feel you need it? Good luck for getting your splint out xx

RS732 last week when i was in the dental surgery for an appt, I overheard the receptionist say to another patient how surprised she was that he could talk, and that was a week after his surgery. So i guess it could be normal not being able to talk after certain types of surgery. I can talk (sort of) its a strain though, but I only had lower jaw done. You can always check in with your surgeon even though you may have to write your question :)

Looking forward to hearing more of your updates.

Btw something i have found v helpful so far is plastic cups - the cheap disposable ones. they're good for taking meds, sipping water, and not harsh on your lips at all

RS732

#25 Post by RS732 »

1 Week Post Op: My surgeon was surprised by how quickly my swelling has reduced. He even removed my splint (super stoked). I can talk and drink more freely now.

Looking forward to my 2 week apt, so they can remove my elastic bands!

Changes

#26 Post by Changes »

Good stuff RS732. Your mouth must feel so much cleaner with out the splint

Gettng mine out on Thursday. glad you posted that because I was wondering why mine was coming out so early. A lot of info online about splints and surgery people seem to have them in for 4 weeks and up! So glad to see someone else getting theres out after a week

UnicornDerp

#27 Post by UnicornDerp »

Today, I have an appointment for oral surgery to take one wisdom tooth... Then next week, I will have different oral surgeon to take two bony impacted wisdom teeth out due to complications and risks. ): I am not looking forward to eat soft food for 2 weeks... especially, when I have to go back to school on Sept 3rd. D:

Changes

#28 Post by Changes »

Good luck UnicornDerp. Just keep your chin up and the time will pass before you know it

Today was an excellent day! The swelling has gone down a lot - I look less like Mrs Potatohead now. Also went to the dental hospital to get the stitches removed and they took the waifer out. Woo hoo! They then gave me a toothbrush and I was able to properly brush my teeth, and took about ten minutes to do so. Then my surgeon removed the three bands and replaced them with just one. I'm allowed to take it out to eat and clean my teeth. THIS IS HEAVEN!! Came home and made my first meal of mash potatoes with grated cheese melted in and sour cream. It was kind of hard to eat, tiring on the jaws. Delicious though. Feels like I have turned a corner in the ups and downs of recovery.

Hope everyone else is doing good x

Tctjh0

#29 Post by Tctjh0 »

I'm glad that everyone sounds like they are doing well. I am just about to be discharged after spending the night in the hospital. Ended up having my upper jaw moved up 8 mm and forward 5 mm. Not feeling too bad other than the splint and bands. I must say I'm jealous of those who have gotten their splints out!

Changes

#30 Post by Changes »

Congrats Tctjh0! Keep us posted on how youre getting on