Good foods for healing broken bones?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Changes

Good foods for healing broken bones?

#1 Post by Changes »

Hi everyone

A week post lower jaw surgery and can really feel it in my bones!

This is making me think - what should we be eating, so they grow back and heal properly. There is a topic already about soft foods, but was wondering more specifically what things should we eat to make sure our healing bones get the nutrients they need?

Had a quick look on google here are a few things being suggested:

- Broccoli
- Bone meal
- Anything with bones in it, e.g. anchovies
- Yoghurt

Have read that most of the bone growth is done within the first three weeks so its important to be eating (or blending & drinking!) the right foods just now

Any other tips would be appreciated

bbsadmin

Re: Good foods for healing broken bones?

#2 Post by bbsadmin »

Making homemade broth with organic soup bones is another good idea. You can get organic soup bones (mainly beef bones) at Whole Foods in the meat department. You could make a batch and freeze it in portions for later.

Also, how is your Vitamin D level? A good Vitamin D supplement along with all that calcium may be a good idea, too.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Changes

#3 Post by Changes »

Hi thats a great idea. Think I will do an oxtail soup. Also, took your advice for vitamin D and went out in the sun today and let my skin soak it up

Yesterday my mum came to visit me and we made a soup together. Here is the recipe, she called it...

Jolly Jaw Soup
350g broccoli, chopped small
250g spinach leaves, washed
1 diced potato
1 diced white onion
2 chicken stock cubes
boiling water
1 tablespoon butter
wee bit olive oil
salt and pepper

1. Place diced potato in a bowl of cold water to destarch
2. Boil a kettle of water
3. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over a low heat. Add onions and sautee softly for 5 mins or so but do not brown. Add a little olive oil to stop the butter drying out
4. Remove potatoes from the cold water and add to pan. Stir through and cook for a few mins.
5. Add the broccoli and cook for another few mins.
6. Make up 1.5 pints of stock with the 2 chicken stock cubes and boiling water. Add to pan. Bring to boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for ten mins.
7. Add the spinach to the pan, stir through a little and cover for 2 mins.
8. Add your mixture to a blender in batches. Blend thoroughly
9. Pour the blended soup through a seive into another saucepan so that all the little bits are removed and you are left with the smooth soup
10. Season well with salt and pepper. Heat through and serve in a plastic cup!

This soup is tasty, healthy and an incredible green colour. I would recommend only eating at at the post wafer / splint stage, when you can brush your teeth afterwards.

sirwired

#4 Post by sirwired »

Other than making sure you are not actually deficient in calcium, protein, or calories, I can't imagine there are any special nutritional requirements beyond that of a well-balanced diet. While jaw surgery isn't pleasant, the actual amount of bone involved is quite small vs. having work done on, say, your hip or knee.

candle1112

#5 Post by candle1112 »

[quote="Changes"]Hi everyone

A week post lower jaw surgery and can really feel it in my bones!

This is making me think - what should we be eating, so they grow back and heal properly. There is a topic already about soft foods, but was wondering more specifically what things should we eat to make sure our healing bones get the nutrients they need?

Had a quick look on google here are a few things being suggested:

- Broccoli
- Bone meal
- Anything with bones in it, e.g. anchovies
- Yoghurt

Have read that most of the bone growth is done within the first three weeks so its important to be eating (or blending & drinking!) the right foods just now

Any other tips would be appreciated[/quote]

I had to laugh, picturing you drinking a smoothie of broccoli, bone meal powder, anchovies and yogurt. Hey, if it helps heal after my surgery, I'd drink it. Maybe add some hot sauce, everything tastes better with hot sauce. :lol: :lol:

Changes

#6 Post by Changes »

the idea was to have them separately but you never know how desparate you might become post surgery :lol: