November 2013 Surgery Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

riley3245

November 2013 Surgery Buddies

#1 Post by riley3245 »

Hey everyone. I just got my date for my upper jaw surgery. I will have my jaw advancement done on November 25th. Just want to get a group going for that month.

survenant

Re: November 2013 Surgery Buddies

#2 Post by survenant »

November 7th for me. My upper jaw will be moved forward (4-6mm I think), impaction 2 mm (not sure exactly)

My lower is assymetric and will be fixed, but will not be moved backwards.

riley3245

#3 Post by riley3245 »

Good luck buddy. I can't wait to get my surgery done and these braces off. I bought a juicer for afterwards. I figure the month after would be perfect to try a juice diet.

survenant

#4 Post by survenant »

Good luck to you too!

I just hope my surgery won't be delayed again.

BabyJaws

#5 Post by BabyJaws »

Hello Folks,

I'm a newbie here. I'm having my Bi-Max on November 8th. Tomorrow i'm having the first of two pre-ops, they are going to take blood,do impressions, take photos, xrays and give me a bit more info.

I'm both terrified and excited in equal measure about the surgery. It feels like i have had braces forever.

xx

survenant

#6 Post by survenant »

BabyJaws wrote:Hello Folks,

I'm a newbie here. I'm having my Bi-Max on November 8th. Tomorrow i'm having the first of two pre-ops, they are going to take blood,do impressions, take photos, xrays and give me a bit more info.

I'm both terrified and excited in equal measure about the surgery. It feels like i have had braces forever.

xx
Good luck! November 7th for me, i'm both eager and a bit scared at the same time.

In my case, it's both upper jaw surgery (advancement, palate moved upwards, and I think they will expand a little bit my palate on the left side) and lower jaw surgery (assymetry correction).

Alicia110613

#7 Post by Alicia110613 »

Hi guys - 11/6 for me! Can't believe there are so many ppl undergoing surgery the same month.

lattiee

#8 Post by lattiee »

Hope you guys don't mind if I post here as my surgery date is the last day of October on Halloween. I'm getting my lower metal plate and screws removed from my right jaw . It's a guess that it's the cause of my recurring cheek infections. I had a upper metal plate removed a year and half ago that was terrible so I'm hoping the lower plate removal isn't that bad. I am hoping that I'm not to sleepy during the halloween night as I have a 9 yr old son and i want him to have some halloween fun on Thurs but I only had this option or Nov 6 . I have parent teacher conference that week so we needed to have those available .

riley3245

#9 Post by riley3245 »

Good luck everyone. I still have about 4 weeks. I'm set for the 25th and I'm glad I got that. At first I was told that they had nothing until March. I hope everyone posts updates during their recovery. I could use any info you can provide. I and a sarpe last year and i'm just hoping it's similar to that.

lattiee

#10 Post by lattiee »

Today was the day of my surgery . We left at 8:15 am got there at 8:41 . Got into Surgery Area at 8:50. They put me too sleep . They konked me out but not by much with the sedation as I woke up during part of it no idea why . They took out the right metal plate and screws on my lower jaw no wonder it was causing me issues as there was bone growing in next to the screw there and the bottom of the plate was very like grinded down. That side is a bit sore and swollen but definetly not as bad as the upper one was last year . They decided we might as well remove the left metal plate and screws to get rid of it because it may end up causing problems in the future that side don't have any issues not really that sore and that plate was all the way smooth around no rough edges . Just a little numb on that side .

Alicia110613

#11 Post by Alicia110613 »

glad your operation went well lattiee - it's def. great to have all the metals out to make sure it doesn't cause any future problems.

lattiee

#12 Post by lattiee »

Thanks Alicia . What is going to be your surgery ? your surgery date is Nov 6 ? Riley are you going to have an early thanksgiving dinner due to your jaw surgery on the week of thanksgiving ?

I did have a restless sleep last night and been trying to get a nap in today but not possible but so glad it's the weekend . I can sleep in instead of waking up at 6 am to get my boy ready for school.

Don't forget to turn your clocks back tomorrow if your in the USA .

riley3245

#13 Post by riley3245 »

Hey lattie. Glad to hear it all went well for you. Except the part about waking up in the middle of it. I could have done without that thought in my head. lol. Yeah I'm going to have thanksgiving dinner the weekend before. I got a juicer ready to go for after the surgery.

BabyJaws

#14 Post by BabyJaws »

Oh it's getting close now, just 5 days to go for me. I'm having trouble sleeping, just cant believe it's really happening. I have a mixture of fear and excitement. I'm trying to think of what I might need to take with me. I saw my surgeon on Thursday and he's going to move my top jaw forward 3-5mm, and 2mm to the left to sort out my dodgy centreline and the bottom jaw is going back by 1mm!! yes, 1mm... It seems barely worth it!

I bet youre glad to be on the other side no Lattiee, you scared me more thinking about waking up during the op :shock: EEEEEEkkkkk

Good Luck everyone!!

lattiee

#15 Post by lattiee »

You guys won't have to worry about waking up due to GA I had IV sedation I guess they didn't have enough or let it wear off and then decided to work on the other side . My left side is pretty sore and bruised up but the codeine helps . The right side where i had the problems don't hurt any more which is a good sign . I am glad to be on the other side healing up as this is over and done with . I do suggest bringing some medicated chapstick as during times when lips are held open with the mouth guard for a amount of time it can leave to lip sores along the corners and on the lips .

Alicia you must be the one who is up next which it's the 6th your going in right ? What time will you be going in and are you planning on eating some good food before it ?

Survenant -your going in on Thurs and Baby Jaws you will be going in on Fri ?

Also, another suggestion is a water pick spray will be good to spray those wire /elastic areas as you won't be able to brush that area .

I went thru a lot of jaw surgeries from a kid to a young adult .