November 2013 Surgery Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

survenant

Re: November 2013 Surgery Buddies

#16 Post by survenant »

Starting to get nervous here. I was not really nervous until this morning, for some reason, I've just realized what I've gotten myself into. But I'm sure it's worth it.

lattiee

#17 Post by lattiee »

Anytime before surgery can make anyone nervous as I have bad anxiety and I spent last week counting down then on the day before oh I was so stressed along with having heart racing at that time . Now I'm sighing with relief glad I changed my mind to have it done on Halloween instead of still being nervous about it and still waiting for it to happen just glad they were able to get me in now I get to count down how many days of post op I am .

I'm for sure all will turn out just fine with you guys and soon enough your surgery will be done which will equal you closer to sigh I'm gonna be healing now . I'm also for sure if any you are nervous before the op they can give you a relaxer before you get under GA as they did that for me when i was nervous about having my thyroid removed .

Alicia110613

#18 Post by Alicia110613 »

Yep i'm up next tomorrow! I agree fear + excitement is a good way of putting it. Hope when I wake up my jaw will be all in the right place. Good luck everyone and talk to you after my surgery. =)

BabyJaws

#19 Post by BabyJaws »

Yeah.... Friday for me but my surgeon wants me in Thursday.

How are you doing Alicia?xx

survenant

#20 Post by survenant »

Good luck tomorrow Alicia!

lattiee

#21 Post by lattiee »

Alicia see you on the other side and hope you get some good night sleep tonight .

riley3245

#22 Post by riley3245 »

Hope everything goes well tomorrow Alicia.

Alicia110613

#23 Post by Alicia110613 »

Hi guys

Thanks for being so sweet. My surgery went well and I'm in the hospital overnight now. I had lower jaw surgery to correct my underbite. My lower jaw was rotated 3mm and moved back 4mm. When I woke up I could use my tongue to feel my new bite which seems to al be in the right place. After I was able to rinse out the blood in my mouth I was also able to check my new teeth in the mirror. All seems good though my cheeks are really swollen so hard to tell what the new look is gonna be.

No vomiting when I woke up, though I was really, really sleepy and just continued to nap on and off for the first two hours or so. After I woke up, I was able to talk really softly (or mumble) to communicate my needs. Also surprising I can drink out of a cup, at least for now, and seem to be able to feel my lower chin/face. I'm really happy about that as it likely mean less mess and no permanent nerve damage. The down side is, it hurts!!! My face is in so much pain now and am waiting for another 1/2 hr until I get more meds. It's not that the pain is unmanageable, but I'm feeling kinda low on an empty stomach.

If u don't have an appetite immediately after surgery, remember to still order some soup or juice so that u can have something in the middle of the night when u start to feel hungry. Don't be like me... My nurse also recommended that u rinse ur mouth to get out the good taste before eating anything, so u r less likely to vomit.

GL guys!

Alicia110613

#24 Post by Alicia110613 »

Oh I should mention I told the nurse I didn't want oral medicine while in the hospital ... Don't think I can swallow a pill and don't feel like eating crushed up meds while I'm starving. So dad I've only gotten stuff through my IV - prob the reason why I'm in this much pain. Sorry if I scared anybody. It reminds me of the pain of getting wisdom teeth out - except at the time I took Advil etc

If ur not a chicken like me w meds I think you will do much, much better~~

riley3245

#25 Post by riley3245 »

Great to hear everything went well. They gave me liquid percocet after my sarpe. You should ask for that. hope the pain gets better.

Alicia110613

#26 Post by Alicia110613 »

Thanks Riley for the advice. I have a very small opening and was able to take some meds after they cut it into small pieces - just small enough to fit into my mouth.

I think survenant is prob having surgery now. You are in my prayers.

And good luck baby jaws tomorrow!!!

lattiee

#27 Post by lattiee »

Alicia glad surgery went well do they have you on a morphine thru iv and to take meds try the crushed up meds thru milkshake that way you don't have your mind thinking your taking meds as I'm a chicken also with meds too much side effects for me .

Survenant today is your day hope all went well and you will soon be on the recovery side .

Babyjaws good luck tomorrow .

I'm doing better than the upper one but still pretty worn out as i'm 7 days post op and still have some pain but more likely I just get worn out by doing anything as I think I feel good one day then I start to clean and clean then I end up in the result of exhausted out .

riley3245

#28 Post by riley3245 »

good luck with the surgeries survenant and babyjaws. Seems like I got these braces on yesterday and now i'm two weeks away from surgery. I was told I will have braces for 3-6 months afterwards. Can't wait to get these off.

By the way I was told that my upper jaw will be moved slightly to the left to match the centerline of my lower jaw. The doctor said I should probably have lower jaw surgery as well, but if they move my lower jaw back I will end up with sleep apnea because my throat looks narrow. did anyone here gets pics and models done to see what they would look like post op?

Alicia110613

#29 Post by Alicia110613 »

Hi Lattie - they gave me meds through IV but only at certain intervals. As it starts to wear off I feel more pain coming back.

I'm home now and am taking crushed up meds (cut into smaller pieces) so it can fit into my limited opening

Riley - my ortho did some imaging but I think those r not always accurate. Rift before I got out out at the hospital my surgeon showed me the model of my teeth (mold) and what it's gonna look like afterwards

Alicia110613

#30 Post by Alicia110613 »

It's Day 2 post-op and while drinking my blended chicken soup dinner one of my elastic in the front broke. NooooOOooo!!! I had to call my surgeon and make an office visit tomorrow. He was surprised that it broke so early as they're meant to last 6 -8 days. Anyone can shed some light on this?

Anyway guys, be careful while eating or brushing my teeth so your elastics can stay intact longer than mine!