Ear pain/deafness

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

June2013

Ear pain/deafness

#1 Post by June2013 »

Anyone else have issues with their ears after lefort 1?
My see feels as though it's gone numb/blocked only some of the time isn't exactly painful but just feels blocked.
Head my surgery in June, so am pretty sure most of the sweeping is completely gone!

treichow

Re: Ear pain/deafness

#2 Post by treichow »

I had my Lefort 1 on October 1st. About 2 weeks post op, I began experiencing a lot of popping in my left ear... kinda like I was underwater or had fluid in my ear. This was pretty continual for about 2 weeks (all day long). I called my OS office and the PA said it wasn't likely surgery related and to try Sudafed. That worked a little and then I tried Mucinex. After another week or so things cleared up. At 6 week follow up, I asked the OS about it and he said that when the muscles and Eustacian tube get moved around you can get some fluid build up. The odd thing is that the feeling started again for a few days after he took my bands off. I have had my bands off for 5 days now and I am feeling pretty normal. I am not sure if this is what you are experiencing but it is what I experienced. I never had any pain but it was very annoying!!!

Tctjh0

#3 Post by Tctjh0 »

I have the same thing and I am about 3 months post op from a Lefort, but it is only in one ear for me. I was told by the dr. that it might be what's called otitis media with effusion, which is basically a non-painful ear infection that resolves itself after a few weeks or months. It has seemed to get better over the last few weeks.

BabyJaws

#4 Post by BabyJaws »

I had the same thing after my Bimaxillary Osteotomy, I was getting so much pain in the left ear it was stopping me from sleeping. It helped keeping my ear warm, i used my dressing gown rolled up around my shoulders to support my head and keep my ears warm at night. My surgeon said it was normal considering how very close the ear is to the jaw. He said it would settle down in time.