January 2014 buddies??

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Leebie3

January 2014 buddies??

#1 Post by Leebie3 »

Surgery is a-go! Will be booked for end of Jan begining Feb next year.. It's starting to get REAL! :BigGrin:

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

purpleandteal

Re: January 2014 buddies??

#2 Post by purpleandteal »

im booked for 24th jan for double jaw. good luck to you for the next step of your journey!

Read all about the fun and games here!!

samoorelaw

#3 Post by samoorelaw »

I too anticipate upper jaw surgery either in late January or early to mid February. I get my impressions taken on 1/13/14 and then meet with the ortho on 1/20/14, who will probably release me to the oral surgeon for pre-op. I wonder how long that process takes...

I'm so nervous that it's almost here! Hard to believe more than a year has passed. And yet, I was told I would have had the surgery by the year mark. Oh well, trying not to be impatient.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

Leebie3

#4 Post by Leebie3 »

I'm trying not to be impatient too! have been told now that surgery is more likely to be March/April :(

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

purpleandteal

#5 Post by purpleandteal »

samoorelaw : i had my impressions done at the end of september, a week later was told i was ready for surgery, appointment with the surgeon was 8 weeks later and was given my date of 7 weeks from then, a week later surgical hooks were put in, and now i have a 4 week wait left. so from impressions to surgery will have been less than 4 months, although that will differ depending on country and hospital availiability. massive good luck to you!

Leebie3 : sorry to hear you have had a set back with dates, hopefully you'll get a definite soon.

one thing i will say is that when i was given my date, i had 7 weeks to wait and thought it would takeforever, now im just under 4 weeks away and thetimes flown by. even if your surgery is postponed by a couple of months, it'll be here before you know it!

Read all about the fun and games here!!

lauriebeth

#6 Post by lauriebeth »

Hi. I live in Manhattan and getting upper and lower jaw surgery on jan 27th. I was wondering if anyone else lives in ny and is getting surgery in jan.

redwine

#7 Post by redwine »

I find out tomorrow if I can have my surgery at the end of the month. I'm having BSSO - what is everyone else having? I also might have to have my fingers surgically uncrossed as I have been hoping to get this done since November. Teeth just weren't ready for heavier wires which are needed prior to surgery according to ortho. But, tomorrow could be the day!

samoorelaw

#8 Post by samoorelaw »

purpleandteal wrote:samoorelaw : i had my impressions done at the end of september, a week later was told i was ready for surgery, appointment with the surgeon was 8 weeks later and was given my date of 7 weeks from then, a week later surgical hooks were put in, and now i have a 4 week wait left. so from impressions to surgery will have been less than 4 months, although that will differ depending on country and hospital availiability. massive good luck to you!

one thing i will say is that when i was given my date, i had 7 weeks to wait and thought it would takeforever, now im just under 4 weeks away and thetimes flown by. even if your surgery is postponed by a couple of months, it'll be here before you know it!
Thank you, good luck to you, too! I'm so impatient because as of this coming Monday, it's been 13 months since I've been braced and yet I still don't have a surgery date. Maybe I wouldn't be so frustrated if my ortho hadn't told me that I was most likely supposed to have the surgery by the 12-month mark. My teeth didn't even have to move that much, I didn't have any extractions, and didn't need elastics so why is it taking so long?

I'm hoping I don't have to wait 19-20 weeks after pre-op! That's a LONG wait if you're already ready for surgery! But then, I'm having my surgery in the oral surgeon's office suite, not in a hospital or outpatient facility, so I anticipate that my wait will be much shorter after pre-op.

samoorelaw

#9 Post by samoorelaw »

Well, I have a tentative surgery date: 2/11/14! This date is contingent on my ortho releasing me on 1/20/14 after taking my molds on 1/13/14. Hard to believe it's in less than 5 weeks! I'm excited and terrified at the same time.

redwine

#10 Post by redwine »

I got my surgery date on Friday - also Feb 11th! I'm also excited and terrified, although I've been told that BSSO is easier than SARPE. Looks like we'll be going through this together Samoorelaw! Am currently taking stock of icepacks and making sure I have plenty on hand.

samoorelaw

#11 Post by samoorelaw »

redwine wrote:I got my surgery date on Friday - also Feb 11th! I'm also excited and terrified, although I've been told that BSSO is easier than SARPE. Looks like we'll be going through this together Samoorelaw! Am currently taking stock of icepacks and making sure I have plenty on hand.
Congrats on getting a date! It will be nice to "know" someone going through the same thing. We should check in here frequently. I'm supposed to have a LeFort I, unless my surgeon thinks I need lower jaw surgery, too, at pre-op. We shall see very shortly!

redwine

#12 Post by redwine »

Best of luck SML. If you haven't already done so, check out the pre-op lists posted as a sticky in orthognathic surgery thread. I found them very helpful. For upper jaw, nasal spray (Afrin or the like), a humidifier, ice packs and my trusty Ninja (food-processer) were lifesavers. I expect to reuse 'em all for the lower jaw.

samoorelaw

#13 Post by samoorelaw »

Thanks for the tips. I always have congestion issues so I always have plenty of Afrin and other decongestants/anti-histamines on hand. I also have a Ninja processor and it is awesome. I plan on buying one of those wrap-around ice packs so I won't have to hold one against my mouth all the time. Will need to get a humidifier, though.

Had my impressions taken and if I'm told I'm ready on 1/20/14, I will most likely have my surgery hooks installed at that time, since I already went ahead and scheduled my surgery date. I HOPE he doesn't need to adjust me any further and that I'm ready.

redwine

#14 Post by redwine »

I just used an ace bandage to wrap and hold the ice packs in place (with tube socks as icepack covers). I am pretty frugal (read: cheap!) Although, this time I found a fairly inexpensive wrap type on Amazon and will purchase one. One more thing: heavy duty lip balm is a must! Think we should start a February buddy thread rather than continuing to hijack the Jan thread.

samoorelaw

#15 Post by samoorelaw »

redwine wrote:Think we should start a February buddy thread rather than continuing to hijack the Jan thread.
Good idea. :D