April/May 2014 surgical buddies..

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Leebie3

April/May 2014 surgical buddies..

#1 Post by Leebie3 »

All going well I'll be having my BSSO late April/early May. Moving forward 12mm.. Anyone else?

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

prairiehouse

Re: April/May 2014 surgical buddies..

#2 Post by prairiehouse »

May for me. Bsso advancement of around 7mm. Possibly also a LeFort (although unlikely).

I remember looking at these "surgical buddies" topics before I got my braces on and at first it felt like it would take forever for me to get to this point.

So to anyone that's reading this, don't think about it and it should come really quickly. It feels now as if the time has just flown by. After the first couple of days I just put it out of my head because I knew that thinking about it would just make the wait feel longer and that I'd get frustrated. I've been in braces now for almost 12 months I think. I think the doctor said I should expect to have the braces on for 6 to 10 months after surgery.

Btw, wow, your teeth look so much better. Mine did not undergo nearly such a dramatic transformation.

Leebie3

#3 Post by Leebie3 »

well said prairie!

I was speaking with my partner today and everybody says my whole face has changed shape but we can't see it lol.. I guess we see it everyday.

Do you have pics you want to share?

38yr old Mum to 3 (2 teens and a preppie) living in paradise with her man. BSSO surgery approx late April 2014!

prairiehouse

#4 Post by prairiehouse »

Sorry, I don't. My teeth really didn't change much from a straight on view from the front (they were already straight). They just moved the top ones out, and the bottom ones in. They're more crooked now. My teeth look worse (as planned obviously).

LyraM45

#5 Post by LyraM45 »

April 9th for me! Doing a 3 piece lefort on top to widen my narrow arch, and impact a few mm for the gummy smile. BSSO for the bottom to take care of my 8mm overjet.

I can't believe March is already here and it's going to be April REALLY soon. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared/anxious. I'm actually freaking out pretty bad and it's still 5 weeks away!!

sunnyD

#6 Post by sunnyD »

Everything leading up to the surgery is the easy part. Recovery is the hard part :(

AquarianDragon

#7 Post by AquarianDragon »

I'm scheduled for BSSO on Wednesday, April 30th. Kinda looking forward to it; kinda thinking what have I gotten into. My husband is freaking out.
Braced in February 2012

BSSO in April 2014

ST24085

#8 Post by ST24085 »

LyraM45 wrote:April 9th for me! Doing a 3 piece lefort on top to widen my narrow arch, and impact a few mm for the gummy smile. BSSO for the bottom to take care of my 8mm overjet.
How much are they widening your upper jaw by? I'm worried I may need SARPE before my lefort because I may need more than 5 mm.

Helen82

#9 Post by Helen82 »

Another one here for April! I've been lurking round the boards for a while but have decided to join now as it's all beginning to seem more real. It's taken three years to get to this point, nearly two years in braces, but all being well I'll be having my op on 15th April.

I'm having surgery on my upper jaw (Lefort?), a BSSO on lower jaw (as it needs bringing forward 9-10mm), both jaws need moving to the left also as my midline is off, and a myotomy (to help prevent relapse). I also need a genioplasty but the surgeon doesn't want to do it until two to three months after the main surgery.

Getting rid of my impacted wisdom teeth was horrendously grim so I'm dreading how bad this is going to be. Well it's more a mix of dread, excitement, anxiety and impatience...

sydneysurgery

#10 Post by sydneysurgery »

Hey guys, this is my first ever post as well. My surgery is on April 11th, the 2 years I've had in braces has flown by. Can anyone give me some tips or recommend things to buy in preparation?

Leebie3

#11 Post by Leebie3 »

so exciting eh! I just got word today that my last pre op is 17th April.. surgery prob a few weeks after that - so beg May.

My lower is being moved forward between 10-12 mm at this stage.

G'day sydneysurgery! (I'm in Cairns) - prep for surgery? umm

I have a few 40 and 60ml syringes and will be getting some in/out catheters to get the liquid to the back of my mouth.. Healthcare Pharmacies have them for a few dollars..

I have a few containers of protein powders instead of food and will make up some soups etc.. bone broth is AWESOME, nutricious and beneficial for healing....

Before op will get a script for liquid versions of my current meds (surgeon will give script for liquid pain meds after hosp),

Cold packs! I've gotten a few (overflow has them cheap otherwise ask the hospital for the ones you use in there because they throw them out otherwise.. they can't reuse them) and will throw them in some sprained ankle tubing to wrap around my head :D

what else? umm..

comfy pillows!! We need to sleep upright for about a week.

Understand what will be happening.. I think this is SO important! I've spoken with people who didn't even know they'd be banded shut!

sydneysurgery

#12 Post by sydneysurgery »

Yeah I've done lots of research. My surgeon still hasn't told me my movements yet, however. I assume I'll find out at my appointment next Friday, but is it unusual to to still not know this close to the date?

Leebie3

#13 Post by Leebie3 »

nah not unusual

Leebie3

#14 Post by Leebie3 »

YAY! got the call from the ortho today.. going in on the 15th April to have wires removed and molds done to take down to the hospital (4 hours away) with me on the 17th. Not 100% sure why I'm having molds done then because the surgeons offsider said they're going to fill my mouth with goop as well??

Helen82

#15 Post by Helen82 »

Don't talk to me about moulds! I'm going in on Tuesday for what will be the fourth time in three weeks to do my impressions again, as the hospital keep making a mess of them. Seriously starting to worry that my surgery will be put back, not because they get a last minute emergency case in, but because they've still not got the moulds right...