Lips not touching after surgery?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

redwine

Lips not touching after surgery?

#1 Post by redwine »

Had lower jaw surgery recently and as the swelling is going down, I'm noticing definite asymmetry and my lips are beginning to not touch on the left side. Is this normal? I am tightly wired shut with a splint for now. Will my lips begin to touch again as feeling comes back or when the splint & wire is removed?

purpleandteal

Re: Lips not touching after surgery?

#2 Post by purpleandteal »

im almost 6 weeks post double jaw surgery and i had the same worries. i was told that as swelling reduces and cuts heal, i will get full animation back which will make me lips touch (something they'd never done before) and i wouldnt feel so asymetrical as both sides of my face would be moving normally. so far my lips are now touching :0) and every few days im noticing a little more movement within my face. if you are concerned, talk to your surgeon or orthodontist, they should be more than happy to settle any worries you have

Read all about the fun and games here!!

sunnyD

#3 Post by sunnyD »

Hello I'm 5 weeks post up and my lips are not touching as well. I see tiny improvements everyday but I pray to god they touch at rest in the long run. I have a feeling they might not because when the surgeon did my genioplasty he said he tilted the chin down as well. I'm guessing this will pull the rest of my soft tissue slightly downwards as well on my bottom jaw ;(

boodles8

#4 Post by boodles8 »

When I was 6 weeks post mandibular setback, my lips were also incompetent--by 3-4 mm, I'd say, though I never measured. I had not had this problem prior to surgery, and I had a setback, so it seemed a strange outcome. However, I'm now 5 months out, and my lips are no longer incompetent. I don't really know what changed; I don't think I was noticeably swollen. But take courage that it isn't necessarily a permanent problem, even at your seemingly late stage!

Good luck.
Boodles8

Braced July, 2012
BSSO August, 2013
Debraced October 2, 2014

sunnyD

#5 Post by sunnyD »

boodles thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm hoping they touch too when everything settles ;)

redwine

#6 Post by redwine »

I go in for another follow up tomorrow and this question is on my (reather lenghty) list. In the meantime, thanks for encouraging words! At this point I need all the encouragement I can get!

sirwired

#7 Post by sirwired »

The braces themselves don't help, as they push your lips outwards. My lip incompetence didn't disappear until the braces came off.