Negative comment about my results :(

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bmueller

Negative comment about my results :(

#1 Post by bmueller »

I know I should be bigger than this, but someone left a really nasty note on my blog (link below for surgery blog), saying my surgeon did a bad job and that my face doesn't look right. It has really got me down.

My surgeon and I had agreed we wouldn't do the lower jaw because the movement would be minimal (3 mm) and that by leaving it out, I would have a normal profile but "softer" looking chin. I believe my surgeon was excellent and did what was best for me. This person accused them of being a quack.

I feel that my surgery was a success and that I look and feel 1000x better. But this person's comments are weighing on my mind. I NEVER ask people for pick me ups and positive feedback, but I think I'm needing some right now.

Don't people realize that it's hard enough to adjust to/ be at peace with your changed face? I certainly don't need someone telling me I look bad!!!

parsleysage

Re: Negative comment about my results :(

#3 Post by parsleysage »

What the hell?!! :evil: Some people don't have enough to do with their time!

This person sounds like one of those armchair surgeons who think because they watched some YouTube videos or checked out some books from the library they are an expert on other people's faces. You can find them in all forms - armchair psychologists, armchair financial advisors, armchair nutritionists. And on and on. They live in a fantasy where they are met with a roar of applause by friends, family, and strangers alike for every banal thought their brain farts out.

I think your results look great. Your face really is softer and a bit more feminine, and your smile is wonderful. AND the bottom line is you and your surgeon made a choice together for what was best for your case, and you've improved the medical issues that you had before the surgery. That means it was a SUCCESS!!!

I know it's hard to put your full face out there on the internet for all to see. And I'm really sorry some sweetheart decided to, well, be an sweetheart.

Honestly between that person and some of the people I've seen in the archives here at Archwired who are just fantastically rude and spiteful to others, I am losing faith in humanity. :|

parsleysage

#4 Post by parsleysage »

parsleysage wrote: I know it's hard to put your full face out there on the internet for all to see. And I'm really sorry some sweetheart decided to, well, be an sweetheart.
Haha Lynn's code got me. "Sweetheart" = @$$hole!!!!!

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

People will always have "opinions" about things that are posted online. Try not to let the negative stuff get to you. If YOU are pleased with the result, that's all that matters. Don't dwell on negative things that strangers say based on photos posted online. And if the comment that person made really bothers you, then delete it and move on. It's your blog, after all!

Regarding the word censor -- haha -- yeah, there are quite a few profane phrases in there that are substituted. Stock that up to more than 10 years of experience running a message board! :mrgreen:
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

DisneyNerd

#6 Post by DisneyNerd »

Ignore them, you look absolutely fine! I agree with bbsadmin, if you're happy with the result, then that's all that matters.

samoorelaw

#7 Post by samoorelaw »

I think you look great! Your face is more balanced now. Also, that poster doesn't have the facts straight because you didn't even have a genioplasty! Ignore him.
Braces removed for 3rd and final time July 14, 2016!!!!

Permanent 8 crowns front 8 teeth (upper) January 30, 2015

Braces removed again December 3, 2014!!

Partial braces re-installation September 25, 2014

Braces removed September 4, 2014!

bmueller

#8 Post by bmueller »

Thank you everyone! It was just a blow to my day. But the support I've received from all of you on this forum for the last 2 years has been a true blessing!

I do feel good about my result. I wouldn't have done the blog if I didn't! I came in with the attitude that I wanted to be the best "me" I could be... perfection is not something that you can actually achieve... besides, the people who aim for perfection (plastic surgery addicts) end up looking like an alien!

Love all of you! As you're here for me, I hope to be there for you... no matter what!

bbsadmin

#9 Post by bbsadmin »

I had braces (no surgery). My result wasn't absolutely perfect, but I ended up a lot better than I started! I think that sometimes "perfection" isn't attainable without a lot of extra time and expense which might not really be necessary. As long as the end result looks good and your jaw is normally functional, then it's fine. Besides, there's always time, in the future, to do more if you feel that you want to improve things after some time goes by.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

Anna5

#10 Post by Anna5 »

I am very sorry about that nasty comment, bmueller. Please forget about it. I sincerely think that your surgery was a great success and that you look beautiful! I admire your courage for going through surgery and I am glad that you are happy about your results. And you have all the reason to be happy! You are the best YOU now!

Love from Anna

Alicia110613

#11 Post by Alicia110613 »

I think your results look great! I think it's a success as well and I like what you're referring to as the "softer" profile. I don't see how this commenter can make assumptions that something had gone wrong etc. without actually looking at your x-ray and models --- I'm sure a real medical professional would not make statements like that! (so who cares about what an amateur say?) =))) Sometimes people don't realize the power of their words and say things that are insensitive.

gramma2xander

#12 Post by gramma2xander »

I think your after photos look awesome. :BigGrin:

TheKT

#13 Post by TheKT »

I clicked on your link thinking I would immediately notice something disfigured. The result looks great, seriously you have a beautiful smile with pretty teeth. A) what more would one expect and B) you are beautiful ... Forget the comment, some people are just out looking to get a reaction from their comments on people's posts and blogs. I think they call them trolls. They hide behind keyboards and like to start stuff. Consider the source and move on.

rylai

#14 Post by rylai »

I expected a foulmouthed comments with insults or smth like that - the only thing he said was it's a "bad compromise". I don't know, people can have their opinions on these blogs, and you shouldn't be that fussed up about it. He seemed to just see your one page because he didn't know that you didn't have genio.

I can understand his thought process and your chin due to the lower jaw recession does not perfectly align with your lips, which does not give an optimal projection. So the result is not ideal. But it is a good improvement. But you should know this, that the result isn't ideal, because you chose to not address this deficit, for whatever reasons. So this isn't new to you?

BSSO can cause nerve damage, among other things, obviously. But I would have opted in for lower jaw surgery aswell. People are different I guess.

sunnyD

#15 Post by sunnyD »

The majority of people in your everyday life probably do not go around judging peoples face like they would on jawsurgeryforum...... Those people are a different breed with their own hang ups. On top of that some of them think they know more than the actual surgeons. They'll use all the medical lingo but bash the surgeons in the process which does not even make sense to me sometimes.

Becks your results are great and the most important thing is that you are happy with your results.